• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

Ill Fares the Land by Tony Judt, a liberal social and political polemic, with fighting words throughout.

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we think about how we should live today. . . . For a society trapped in delusions of prosperity and good prospects, with the losers left to fend for themselves, we must -- regretfully -- look to the USA." -- TJ.

Chris Anderson's Free, which argues that in a digital economy, a lot of people are making money by not charging for their products. At all. Interesting so far.

White Line Fever by Lemmy and Janiss Garza. The lead singer of Motorhead's autobiography. So far I'm loving it, Lemmy has a great dry wit.

Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed by Andrew Doughty and Harriett Freidman
Best guidebook on Hawaii I've come across.

I'm reading Keeper of Genesis, because I saw pieces of a documentary by the guys that wrote this, and I wanted to see if they could substantiate their theories a bit further. I think it's rather poorly translated, and it's not as interesting a read as I had hoped.

It's not bad. The best one is "Fingerprints of the Gods" by Graham Hancock. Much more entertaining read. If nothing else you learn a lot about Ancient Egypt, Mexico and South America.

Reappraisals by Tony Judt. "... observations on a century whose experience and lessons we are already forgetting at our peril. ... Today's world is so utterly unlike the world of just twenty years ago that we have set aside our immediate past even before we could make sense of it."

A brilliant intellect at work looking back. Most interesting for me so far was his retrospective and open-minded look at the Chambers-Hiss dispute.

Excellent.

My Name Escapes Me, The Diary of a Retiring Actor by Alec Guinness

It also has a lovely preface by John Le Carré

Currently devouring Aftershock by Robert Reich. It is about why the U.S. economy tanked and what will keep it from growing again if a certain political party becomes too drunk on tea.:whistling:

Aftershock

So far, :star3:

I'm reading The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, and am going to be starting Truman by David Mccullough soon after it. Gladwell is doing a fantastic job of creating unique concepts and exploring how social marketing and "epidemics" work. however, it isn't a text you could use a reference. It's just fun to read.

I'm reading The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, and am going to be starting Truman by David Mccullough soon after it. Gladwell is doing a fantastic job of creating unique concepts and exploring how social marketing and "epidemics" work. however, it isn't a text you could use a reference. It's just fun to read.

I haven't read that one of his, but just finished "Blink", which I found quite entertaining and interesting.

The End of Poverty Jeffrey Sachs

Need to read this for my Social Welfare Policy class- so far so good

Originally Posted by beer good -- Is that a novelization of this?
YouTube - The Music of Video Games [135] Ice Climber

Of course beer good :D (i'm joking )
A book about that > :)

Last edited:
Hermann Buhl : Ou l'invention de l'alpinisme moderne - Horst Höfler , Reinhold Messner ( avec les textes originaux d'Hermann Buhl )
Haute Route de Chamonix à Zermatt
3 x 3 Avalanches, Werner Munter .

apmcdn.priceminister.com_photo_Messner_Reinhold_Hermann_Buhl_O1da0b9e70235d40b8211d5c02da8c1db.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing my Tony Judt immersion with

The Memory Chalet - Tony Judt

and also reading

The Drowned and the Saved - Primo Levi

Two different perspectives from the 20th century.

Canyoneering Techniques, French Federation of Speleology
Geomorphology and Hydrology (spanish author )
Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth, James M.Tabor

Last edited:
Back