• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

Euskal Herria en los Techos del Mundo - Los 14 Ochomiles Vascos _ Antxon Iturriza .
Los Abuelos Vascos en el Rio de La Plata - Alberto Sarramone .
Hielos y Océanos - Vascos por el mundo _ José Azpiazu Elorza .
Una Geografía Diacrónica del Euskara en Navarra - A.Apat-Echebarne, A. Irigaray .

9788492331406-uk.jpg
9788498437034-uk-300.jpg
md1349871469.jpg
92055_5.jpg

I don't read that much nonfiction, but since I am a Civil War buff I'm currently slogging through Chernow's biography of U.S. Grant. Most of his civil war stuff I already had read about elsewhere but what I'm finding most interesting in Chernow's take on Grant's presidency. Most people assume he was naive at best and ineffective and corrupt at worst, but Grant actually had some important accomplishments, such as reinforcing the newly won freedoms for freed slaves and prosecuting KKK members. Without him, the gains won by black people during Reconstruction would have ended many years sooner.

I don't read that much nonfiction, but since I am a Civil War buff I'm currently slogging through Chernow's biography of U.S. Grant. Most of his civil war stuff I already had read about elsewhere but what I'm finding most interesting in Chernow's take on Grant's presidency. Most people assume he was naive at best and ineffective and corrupt at worst, but Grant actually had some important accomplishments, such as reinforcing the newly won freedoms for freed slaves and prosecuting KKK members. Without him, the gains won by black people during Reconstruction would have ended many years sooner.

Julee,
I am very interested in your observations about Grant. It sounds like I'll be adding Chernow to my list.
Currently (and on and off) I am reading up on the Civil War era from the Southern point of view. Being a Northerner, my education has of course acquainted me quite well with the northern view of things.
I regard the conflict as both an enormous tragedy of American history and a horrendous failure of American democracy. So, I am interested in delving into the issues of the time and, especially, how they were viewed by the opposing parties at the time. A tremendous number of people gave their lives for what they believed in and I think we minimize it.
I am currently part-way through a biography of Henry Clay, the Great Compromiser, who did his best to prevent it all coming to War.
Peder

Sulle Tracce di Coomba - La vita di Doug Coombs, uno Sciatore leggendario_ Robert Cocuzzo .
El Gringo Eskiador : Patrick Vallençant - Yannick e Gaëlle Vallençant .
Sciatori di Montagna - 12 storie di chi ha fatto la storia dello Sci Alpinismo_ Giorgio Daidola .
Willo Welzenbach : La vita, gli scritti, le imprese - Eric S. Roberts .
Alpinista per Scommessa : Piero Ghiglione, scalate nei cinque continenti - Italo Zandonella Callegher .
Il nuovo Polverelli minore - Vocabolario della lingua pauderolesa_ Davide Branca .

51HmWVBeGGL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
9788889869345.jpg
50666.jpg

9788880688952.jpg
41bmFSKVJLL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
8949467.jpg

Mary Beard, Rome most recently, and some works on the First World War as well as the usual research and reference books on James Joyce.

Jung y la Creación de la Psicología Moderna - Sonu Shamdasani
Escritos sobre ESPIRITUALIDAD y Transcendencia - Carl Gustav Jung
SINCRONICIDAD como principio de Conexiones Acausales - Jung, Wolfgang Pauli .
Ernst Jūnger, Los Titanes venideros - Antonio Gnoli, Franco Volpi

9788498797732.jpg
9788494905407m.jpg

Voytek Kurtyka, L'Art de la Liberté_ Bernadette McDonald
Son approche visionnaire de la montagne lui a permis de réussir des ascensions mémorables, dont la première du « Shining Wall », la face ouest du Gasherbrum IV
* Some articles about the Gasherbrum IV's Northwest Ridge (( Greg Child, Tom Hargis, Tim Macartney-Snape )) in several books
La Montaña Resplandeciente - Dos hombres en la pared oeste del Changabang_ Peter Boardman, Joe Tasker .
Legs on Everest - Mark Inglis .
Dark Summit : The True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season - Nick Heil .

Freestyle Ski : Halfpipe Skiing Evolution
voy.png
51O4wVPhhNL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
ce5b76a74fea600fb6d43230c505b5d4--penguin-books-book-marks.jpg

Two non fiction reads on my reading pile right now. For work, i am reading this basic textbook on nutritions Nutritions: Concepts and Controversies because i am writing an application for a research grant to prove that vegans, while being possibly deficient in some nutritions, are not killing themselves or starving themselves. On the other hand, I am also reading What We Talk About When We Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami. The parallels between writing and running are wonderfully fleshed out.

Nutritions: Concepts and Controversies because i am writing an application for a research grant to prove that vegans, while being possibly deficient in some nutritions, are not killing themselves or starving themselves.
Interesting !! Altough 2 friends of mine became in « strict » Vegans and after a few years they had to give up their diet because one had problems in her Thyroid and the other had Renal Lithiasis as result of the big intaken of calcium oxalate in his feeding .

Interesting !! Altough 2 friends of mine became in « strict » Vegans and after a few years they had to give up their diet because one had problems in her Thyroid and the other had Renal Lithiasis as result of the big intaken of calcium oxalate in his feeding .
Thank you so much. Yes, i have been studying the need for supplements to vegan diet also, hope your friends are healthier now!

Yes, fortunately they got well with the help of an Endocrinologist and a Nephrologist, respectively :)
Yes, i have been studying the need for supplements to vegan diet also
It's a good idea . In any diet there are certain decompensations, wheter it be by default or for excess of nutrients or either our body digests/absorbs or reacts to these nutrients in distinct ways for different reasons .

I'm pro of Healthy diets supported by Nutricionists . Good luck Lisa in your project/research
!!

Last edited:
ADA BLACKJACK, survivante de l'Arctique - Jennifer Niven .
Femmes des Pôles : Dix aventurières en quête d'absolu - Benoît Heimermann .
Le Robinson de la Banquise - Chauncey C. Loomis .
Porté disparu - L'étrange destin de Joshua Slocum _ Alexandre Boussageon .
Shackleton's Dream: Fuchs*, Hillary* and the Crossing of Antarctica _ Stephen Haddelsey .

* Vivian Fuchs, geologist and Edmund Hillary, mountaineer .

Ada-Blackjack-survivante-de-l-Arctique.jpg
data_38.png
data_19_3.png
41YhK8lnm0L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have recently released my 5th Non-Fiction book titled 'Diana's Agony' which you can find on Amazon in Paperback and Ebook here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0818DV7P6

My first Non-Fiction was 'Assassinating Custer' in which I combined Fiction and Non-Fiction which made for a very interesting read...You can find it on Amazon in Hardback, Paperback, Ebook, and Audio Book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NH596ZL

The second Non-Fiction was 'The Hybrid Anunnaki' which was book two in The Disclosure Series after Assassinating Custer...In both I used Fiction and Non-Fiction to tell my story. You can find it on Amazon in Paperback, and Ebook here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2J3W4K

The third Non-Fiction book was 'Growing Up Mayberry' which is the first book in the series...You can find it on Amazon in Hardback, Paperback, Ebook, and Audio Book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q19PM6D

The fourth Non-Fiction book was 'Secrets From Underfoot' which you can find on Amazon in Hardback, Paperback, Ebook, and Audio Book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WRN7XQ7

I am currently giving away Hundreds of Free Audio Books on my internet site which you can find here: https://guylozier.com/free-audio-books/

If I can help anyone with their problems or just questions of some type, feel free to reach out...I always try to find time to answer others...

dianas-agony-cover.jpg
novel-cover-26.jpg
the-hybrid-anunnaki-cover-18-small.jpg
growing-up-mayberry-book-48.jpg
secrets-from-underfoot-cover-8-19-19-b.jpg

VIVRE - Ma Tragédie au Nanga Parbat_ Élisabeth Revol .
Ce livre retrace notre histoire, mon histoire, mon histoire de vie, de tempête, de Recherches Mystiques…passant par une exploration profonde de ce qu’on avait vécu avec Tomek (( Tomasz Mackiewicz )), mais aussi une exploration de ma propre vie.--- Ecrire pour vivre, poser les mots… m’en détacher, m’en soulager. M’aidant à « tourner une page », m’exprimant librement ! Fouillant en moi jusqu’à retrouver les petits bonheurs de la vie. Aujourd’hui je peux regarder le Nanga de plus loin et surtout faire preuve de discernement et de justesse. Mes pensées se sont allégées, apaisées. Et aujourd’hui, je suis de nouveau heureuse de « Vivre », vivre intensément, dans la joie, explorer la vie avec la volonté de vouloir avancer, suivre mon chemin de vie… et heureuse de partager notre histoire, mon histoire, avec vous. « Tu n’es plus là où tu étais, mais tu es partout là où je suis. » disait Victor Hugo
La Via Perfetta - Nanga Parbat: Sperone Mummery - Daniele Nardi, Alessandra Carati .
La montagna ha stato rifugio sicuro nei momenti più duri. Le vie più incredibili, le linee più eleganti nascono da due battaglie, una tecnica e una interiore, dentro le nostre parti più oscure. Ognuno di noi nasconde una paura atavica, inconfessabile, che ci teniamo stretti. Una paura con la quale ci confrontiamo e lottiamo costantemente ogni giorno
Journal d'un éco-hydrologiste de campagne (1970-2018) - Henri Salvayre .
Su Ghiaccio Sottile - Mick Fowler .

* The Golden Pillar, SPANTIK
Les Tribulations de Mick et Vic/ Himalaya - Mick Fowler, Victor Saunders .

9782081479098.jpg

11493.jpg

Last edited:
My most recent non-fiction reads were -
Always Another Dawn by Scott Crossfield - the first man to fly 2x the speed of sound
Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie - a classic WW2 memoir by a Marine who fought in the Pacific.

I'm currently making slow progress on - Back to Hampton Roads by Franklin Matthews a reporter who was embedded with the Great White Fleet for its around the world cruise. It's an interesting time in history and the country was justifiably proud of its progress and accomplishments, but the (circa 1908) author's white anglo-saxon pride is a bit disconcerting by today's standards. For example, he goes on and on about the productivity of colonists in New Zealand. I'm not big on applying today's values to the people of the past, but sometimes you just have to shake your head.

My non-fiction reading is still mostly research-motivated. And some general interest.

Currently reading these:
David Monger: Patriotism and Propaganda in First World War Britain: The Nation War Aims Committee and Civilian Morale
David Aberbach: National Poetry, Empires, and War
Mark D. Larabee: Front Lines of Modernism: Remapping the Great War in British Fiction

Ici Elvira, vous m'entendez ? - Les huit femmes du pic Lénine_ Linda Cottino .
Whiteout - Coraggio, audacia, speranza:
Il mondo attraverso gli occhi di tre donne che hanno visto nella fine un nuovo inizio- Anna Torretta, Eleonora Delnevo, Dorota Bankowska .
Tres Piedras Hacen Una Pared
- Historias de la Arqueología - Eric H. Cline .
Sentidos Indisciplinados -
Arqueología, Sensorialidad y Narrativas alternativas - José Roberto Pellini, Andrés Zarankin y Melisa A. Salerno .

9782365450720-475x500-1.jpg
978-88-203-9313-7-1.jpeg

51FKefM6t9L._AC_SY400_.jpg
sentidos-indisciplinados.jpg

The Professor and the Madman : A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary - Simon Winchester .
The compilation of the Oxford English Dicctionary began in 1857, it was one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. As definitions were collected, the overseeing committee, led by Professor James Murray ( lexicographer & philologist ) , discovered that one man, Dr. W. C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand quotations that illustrated the way particular words were used . When the committee insisted on honoring him, a shocking truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane
The Meaning of Everything : The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary - Simon Winchester .
When the complete edition of what would become the Oxford English Dictionary debuted in 1928, a glossary so vast—and so thorough—that no other reference book could ever exceed its detail or depth. In total, the project took seven decades to catalogue everything from A to Z, defining a total of 414,825 words --- Assembling the OED was a nightmare ----Before the first volume it was published in 1888, multiple editors had taken (and abandoned) the helm, and each regime change created new opportunities for mayhem. When James Murray took command in 1879, the Oxford English Dictionary could best be defined by the word disarray
The Map That Changed the World : William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology - Simon Winchester .
The fascinating story of William Smith, the orphaned son of an English country blacksmith, who became obsessed with creating the world's first geological map and ultimately became the father of modern Geology
The Men Who United the States : America's Explorers, Inventors, Eccentrics, and Mavericks, and the Creation of One Nation, Indivisible - idem
How did America become « one nation, indivisible » ? What unified a growing number of disparate states into the modern country we recognize today ? To answer these questions, Winchester follows in the footsteps of America’s most essential explorers, thinkers and innovators, such as Lewis and Clark during their Expedition in 1803 to explore and to map Louisiana territory and find a practical route across the western --- The campaign's secondary objectives were scientifics like studing the area's plants, animal life and geography and also for establishing trade with local American Indian tribes

51aF4nrHtfL._AC_SY400_.jpg
51E6IEZEmRL.jpg

image-asset.png

Back