• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started The Travelling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon last night:
Library Journal
16-year-old Dwight and his two pals, male Rusty and female Slim, decide to add some excitement to an otherwise boring summer day in 1963 by sneaking into "The Traveling Vampire Show." This adults-only act, featuring "Valeria, the only known vampire in captivity," is visiting their rural town of Grandville for just one night. Dwight narrates the events of that day, all the way through to the terrifying finale. The three friends are for the most part typical teens, but they are tested that day in ways none of them could ever have imagined.

Looks to be an easy, yet entertaining read :)

I've got Raymond Carver's "Cathedral" and Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections" on tap. I'm also supposed to be reading "Paradise Lost" for a british lit course, but man alive, that is some dense stuff.

Dara said:
I've got Raymond Carver's "Cathedral" and Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections" on tap. I'm also supposed to be reading "Paradise Lost" for a british lit course, but man alive, that is some dense stuff.

I'm not familiar with Raymond Carver, but I would say read The Corrections alone; it deserves your full attention. And be prepared to laugh!

:)

abecedarian said:
Please be sure to share with the class when you're done. I'd love to know what you think of this one.
Will do! ^_^ Also decided to read Errol Flynn: The Life and Career while I was at it.

Book I'm reading

Hello everybody, I'm currently reading 'Middlemarch' George Eliot. I'm really enjoying it. i've decided to read at least one classic book once a week.

I'm also reading 'The Hobbit' J R R Tolkien to my daughter, she likes it, even scary Gollum. I read her the Complete Chronicles of Narnia C.S Lewis and she loved it. It so much fun reading to my daughter as I have to make the characters come to life and it brings back my memories of the books I read as a child.

I'm currently reading THE TRUMPET OF THE SWAN. It's an adolescent book I got from my reading volunteer coordinator. It's a sweet story of a boy who encounters two Trumpeter Swans.

StillILearn said:
I'm not familiar with Raymond Carver, but I would say read The Corrections alone; it deserves your full attention. And be prepared to laugh!

:)

Totally. I can't read two books at once for leisure. Literature for class and books for my own enjoyment I can keep separate, though. Anyway I'm starting with the Carver book, but it's pretty short and I'm almost done. Will be starting "The Corrections" shortly. :)

I started Angels and Demons by Dan Brown this afternoon. I know I'm probably going to get flayed alive for admitting it but *shrug*. It doesn't seem so scary after Kook's thread (that really was a great thread, Kook! :) ).

Amazon.co.uk
Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is shocked to find proof that the legendary secret society, the Illuminati--dedicated since the time of Galileo to promoting the interests of science and condemning the blind faith of Catholicism--is alive, well, and murderously active. Brilliant physicist Leonardo Vetra has been murdered, his eyes plucked out and the society's ancient symbol branded upon his chest. His final discovery, anti-matter, the most powerful and dangerous energy source known to man, has disappeared--only to be hidden somewhere beneath Vatican City on the eve of the election of a new pope. Langdon and Vittoria, Vetra's daughter and colleague, embark on a frantic hunt through the streets, churches and catacombs of Rome, following a 400-year-old trail to the lair of the Illuminati, to prevent the incineration of civilisation.

I have only read a few pages and I am already seeing some of the "formula" to The Da Vinci Code seeping through.

I have to admit I didn't find A&D that bad. Think of it as an action drama that the FOX network would televise. If you expect nothing more than that you won't be disappointed.

i am reading Fight Club right now. at first i'd get annoyed since C.P doesn't clarify what location/thing he's describing until a chapter later or something sometimes.

ions said:
I have to admit I didn't find A&D that bad. Think of it as an action drama that the FOX network would televise. If you expect nothing more than that you won't be disappointed.
After reading The Da Vinci Code I can most definitely affirm that I'm not expecting much in the way of surprises or writing style. I mainly wanted to read this book because I heard that it was a tad better than TDVC, and because I'm interested by the claims that he makes throughout his books. I like to research some of them after I've finished to see on what grounds he based some of his comments. Usually, they're not very solid :rolleyes:

I'm reading The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard. 'Traditionally' written, if I can put it that way, with close descriptions of characters. Very very good, in my (very) humble opinion!

I'm reading Exiles from a Future Time by Alan M. Wald. It's been a year since I bought the book and have made many attempts to read it but couldn't get past page 10. Am now up to page 13 so things are looking up. :rolleyes:

the books i read seem so very different from all the books others read! of course, this forum has people of many ages i guess. anyway, right now i'm reading T.A. Barron: the great tree of avalon and the poisonwood bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back