• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke.

A bit slow starting, but i am only about 170 pages in.
I have seen on another thread, that was to be expected, so i will persevere.

Sometimes a number of books appeal to me at the same time, and that's my present situation so am reading The Portrait by Iain Pears; A Catch of Consequence by Diana Norman; The Pyramid by Ismail Kadare; and Sunday's Silence by Gina B. Nahai. And hopefully I'll finish all of them before my number of allowed library renewals expires.
- Nancy

i'm still reading Fight Club. i'm surprised how "little" it has to do with the actual fight club. its rather interesting though.

i might continue reading Lovely Bones, just b/c its one of the books i need to check in to the library by the 10th

Nancy, are you enjoying The Portrait? Iain Pears is one of my favorite authors, and I liked that one. VERY different, a style of writing I had never read before, in fact. His favorite of mine is Dream of Scipio, but I also loved Instance of the Fingerpost. I also must say I enjoy his little art mystery series, and hope he writes another one of those soon.

I just started 'Goodnight Nobody' by Jennifer Weiner. Same author who wrote 'In Her Shoes.' I've never read her before, but this one looked fun. We'll see how it goes!

peacefield said:
Nancy, are you enjoying The Portrait? Iain Pears is one of my favorite authors, and I liked that one. VERY different, a style of writing I had never read before, in fact. His favorite of mine is Dream of Scipio, but I also loved Instance of the Fingerpost. I also must say I enjoy his little art mystery series, and hope he writes another one of those soon.

I just started 'Goodnight Nobody' by Jennifer Weiner. Same author who wrote 'In Her Shoes.' I've never read her before, but this one looked fun. We'll see how it goes!

Actually I'm enjoying The Portrait very much - my first read of Iain Pears. I'm about half-way through and, like you, this is a new style of writing for me. I'll have to take a look also at the two others you mentioned by him.

Thanks,
Nancy

I'm just about to start Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli:

Publisher Comments
Stargirl. From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, the hallways hum with the murmur of “Stargirl, Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with just one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with just one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. At first.

Then they turn on her. Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, panicked and desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal. In this celebration of nonconformity, Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli weaves a tense, emotional tale about the perils of popularity and the thrill and inspiration of first love.

I have read the first few pages of Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon:

Kirkus Reviews
An engaging time-travel romance, the second of a trilogy (after Outlander, 1991), that animates the people and politics of a pivotal period in history--while turning up the heat between an appealing modern heroine and a magnetic romantic hero. It's now 1968, and Claire Beauchamp Randall has returned to Inverness, Scotland, with her daughter, Brianna. This is Claire's first visit back since she and husband Frank visited 22 years before--when she walked through a Druid stone circle into the middle of the 18th century. Now, Frank is dead, and Claire hopes to learn what happened to the second great love of her life--gallant Jamie Fraser, laird of Lallybroch whom she married during her journey into the past. She's also looking for a way to tell Brianna who her real father is.

I /loved/ the first book, Cross Stitch (Outlander), so I'm really looking foreward to really getting into this one.

Dara said:
I've got Raymond Carver's "Cathedral" and Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections" on tap. I'm also supposed to be reading "Paradise Lost" for a british lit course, but man alive, that is some dense stuff.

Finished "Cathedral," got by the midterm without reading too much of "Paradise Lost," and have now moved on to "The Corrections." woot!

I'm currently reading Stephen King's "The Stand" and I don't want to put it down. It's a very long and deep book but so amazing.

Pixi1021 said:
I'm currently reading Stephen King's "The Stand" and I don't want to put it down. It's a very long and deep book but so amazing.

i keep hearing good things about that book.. its definatly on my "to read" list

I'm going on with the reading of "The other side of the story" by M. Keyes, meanwhile I've just begun "Coma" by Robin Cook, a medical thriller

I've just started Time Out Of Joint by Philip K. Dick. I'm really enjoying it so far - it reminds me of a cross between The Truman Show and The Matrix. :D

Pixi1021 said:
Hmmm, sounds good. It will go on my TBR list.

I am currently reading "Handling Sin" by Michael Malone. I don't know if I will finish it as there is too much "chatter" and I get impatient for the story to continue. The book is very long and i am not sure I will make it to the end.

I'm currently reading "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult. I'm bored with it, so I've relegated it to my 'book to read during coffee breaks at work'. Tonight, I intend to start "Girl With A Pearl Earring" by Tracy Chevalier. If it's rubbish, will someone please warn me now. :)

TMG

third man girl said:
I'm currently reading "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult. I'm bored with it, so I've relegated it to my 'book to read during coffee breaks at work'. Tonight, I intend to start "Girl With A Pearl Earring" by Tracy Chevalier. If it's rubbish, will someone please warn me now. :)

TMG
The Girl With A Pearl Earring is a good book. I read it in about 6 days, but it was still interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back