• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started reading How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster and after only four pages I was completely blown away! Kid you not! Now after only seven pages more, I am more convinced than ever that I have to tell you: "Drop everything! Run, don't walk, to your nearest book source and beg, borrow or buy this book!" It has to be the most easily accessible and enjoyable introduction to the appreciation of literature that I have ever seen. :eek:

And when you enjoy it, think of Miss Shelf. It was her suggestion in the first place, in her shortlived Similarity or Plagiarism thread.
Don't delay,:)
Peder

Halo said:
I'm looking for that one, but I don't want to pay full price for it!

I'm currently reading Pratchett's Going Postal as well as Jonathan Strange, as I couldn't wait to start it. :eek:
I enjoyed "Going Postal". I thought it was one of his better books.

blindness by jose saramago

hey
im currently reading blindess by jose saramago and have to read a paper relating a theme from the novel to issues we see in the media today, but im have trouble coming up with some. i was think about the role of women as a theme from the novel but am having trouble relating it to today's media. please help me!!! im so confused!!:confused:

I am just about to start The Shining by Stephen King. I've heard that this book is pretty scary, so I thought that it would be appropriate as my October Horror read.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I am just about to start The Shining by Stephen King. I've heard that this book is pretty scary, so I thought that it would be appropriate as my October Horror read.

I think this one would be one to read during daylight hours or at least with every light in the house on and all family members accounted for, even the dog and cat! Shoot, I'd want to know where the neighbors and their critters were too.

I am nearly through Darkwalker on Moonshea by Douglas Niles. I have been a fan of Dragonlance for 3 years, and this is just as good. I enjoyed the book especially as I am a fan and constant player of Neverwinter Nights: Hordes Of The Underdark and instantly recognised Newt as a fearie dragon, because this is the Familliar I always choose. Newt is steadily climbing my favourite fantasy character list.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I am just about to start The Shining by Stephen King.
Probably my favorite King read. It's one of the few books I've read that got my tension level up while I was reading it. I wasn't scared, I was focused.:D

Enjoy it.

I'm currently reading the "Le grand voyage" by Semprun. It becomes one of my favourite book, although I've not finished it yet. It's resembles the Fateless by Kertesz, but not quite the same feeling. If someone skiped it, I really suggest it!

I'm in the middle of Blinding Light by Paul Theroux and it's doing my nut in. I want to carry on with it because I think the story is interesting. But the writing. Get a decent editor, bloody hell. The bloke goes round and round in circles waffling about the same thing. For example, some character will have some kind of revelation, and Theroux will hammer it home for the next few paragraphs. Yes - ok, we get it. Can we get on with the damned STORY please? There's too much pervy shagging in it as well. If I want to read that kind of stuff I'll go to literotica or something.

Bill Bryson - Notes From a Small Island

Yes this is good but I am not captivated by Bill, he is a good compnaion and I'll read more of his books. Notes from a Small Island is not a s good as "A short History of Nearly Everything"...Now Bill that was a good read.

I have the feeling that Mr Bryson never quite finshes what hew sets out to do. But who am I to comment, my book is not yet finished!

malky said:
Yes this is good but I am not captivated by Bill, he is a good compnaion and I'll read more of his books. Notes from a Small Island is not a s good as "A short History of Nearly Everything"...Now Bill that was a good read.

I have the feeling that Mr Bryson never quite finshes what hew sets out to do. But who am I to comment, my book is not yet finished!

I like Bryson better on audio. His dry delivery tickles my funny bone.

curiouswonder said:
Probably my favorite King read. It's one of the few books I've read that got my tension level up while I was reading it. I wasn't scared, I was focused.:D

My favorite King as well. I could read it over and over again. I can't even watch the film, since I love the book so much - seeing the film just makes me sad.

I'm almost finished with 'The Third Secret' by Steve Berry. I really liked it up until about the last 1/4. I find things like the Pope, the Vatican and conclave really intriguing, but imo, this novel went south in the end. I liked Brown's 'Angels and Demons' much better.

Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. I picked up the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation in the late summer then it sat on my bookshelf until now. I guess I was a little intimidated by its girth and density.

I have just started to read Escaping Reality!
By Geoff Nelder!

Geoff is a member of the forum and i would like to thank him for the book which he so kindly sent to me!

Only a couple of chapters in but i am really enjoying it! :)

i've just started Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn and it is gripping me from page 1!! Only a chapter and a half in and its already into the action and sub-plot. I think this is the sort book I needed to break my "novel readers block". I haven't been able to immerse myself in a novel since my failed attempt at Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. But after reading every newspaper and magazine in the house I finally opened up this one which I've had on my shelf for a while.

Very happy!!

3 Wise Men

I'm currently reading "3 Wise Men" a political thriller by Stephen M. Buckler and Kite Runner and Fierce Invalids home from warm climates and Da Vinc Code

Fantasy Moon said:
A History of Pirates: Blood and Thunder on the High Seas by Nigel Cawthorne

Please be sure to share with the class when you're done. I'd love to know what you think of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back