• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
halo that book is pretty good but its far from his best for about a week now ive been readin "one door away from heaven" by dean koontz..........i read alot of his

so far i would recomend it, its pretty good from the start. it has realy good and interesting characters

Reading Dry, the second memoir by Augusten Burroughs. It's very entertaining and insightful. In his first memoir, Running With Scissors, Augusten details the devastating emotional and physical abuse of his childhood [he was constantly surrounded by really fucked-up people] with elegant wit and poise, and without wanting pity from the reader.

Augusten Burroughs is also the author of Sellevision, a novel about the television shopping industry. It's funny, but a very very light read.

I recently read Candy and Me by Hilary Liftin. One of the sweetest and cutest books ever.

Currently on my reading table

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Only my second Neil Gaiman novel and I'm enjoying it even more than "American Gods". Almost finished.

No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod
Just started this one. It came highly recommended by a cousin and when I was checking it out, the librarian said it was on her "must read" list. MacLeod is a Canadian author.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Another Canadian author and one of my favourites. This is Atwood's latest novel and made it to the long list for this year's Booker. Just got it from the library and can't wait to start.

Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
Still plodding my way through. I read a few pages, put it down, then won't pick it up again for weeks. Someone, please tell me it is worth it. Or maybe I should just quit and give it another go next year!

AND ... an assorted pile of travel and cruise magazines - planning for next year? :D :D

The age of innocence by Edith Wharton. Very witty and entertaining. The book shows the artificiality of the former New York society, where everything had to be done precisely in accordance with the strict rules. There was no place for sincerity or true feelings. Certainly, there is a romantic plot.

Word Made Flesh, by Jack O'Connell. The book opens you up to watching a skinning of the first murdered character in the book.

While the story is entertaining and addictive, the best thing about this book is Jack O'Connell's writing ability. He has a very broad vocabulary, to say the least; he's engrossing, disgusting and almost erotic in the exactness of his descriptions and word choices. The back page of the book compares him to Borgess or Pynchon writing one of Raymond Chandler's novels and I think that pretty accurately pinpoints his writing style, the story, etc.

War of the Flowers by Tad Williams.

I am really enjoying it. The only other books I have read by Tad Williams was the Otherland series. I like War of the Flowers a lot better. I havn't finished it yet but so far I would recommend it =)

Fenrys, I've read most of Tad Williams' stuff. If you enjoy War of the Flowers, try The Dragonbone Chair. It's the first in a trilogy.

I'm reading Lyonesse: The Green Pearl by Jack Vance.

I finished Dean Kootz's "By the light of the moon" last night. I found it hard to get into at first, but by halfway through I was engrossed. Like repairman_jack said, I wouldn't say it was one of his best, even though I enjoyed it. It seemed like a rather slight idea stretched, and could have done with more action and less philosophising, in my opinion. Still pretty good though! :)

"My War Gone By, I Miss It So" by Anthony Loyd

I only started the book yesterday so have only taken in the first two chapters. It has me hooked though.

I read 'The Eyre Affair' by Jaspar Fforde on holiday and i thought it was great, a little eccentric like all my favorite books are - cant wait to get the second one :)

Serene said:
Ell, I loved Oryx and Crake.
Serene, just finished Oryx and Crake last night and loved it too. I think it shows Atwood's versatility as a writer and is as good a science fiction novel as (if not better than) her Handmaid's Tale. Pretty scary and chilling stuff given our current direction in science and technology.

Ell, which Atwood book do you like best?

I've heard of people who've read Oryx and Crake and now refuse to eat take-out chicken.

So far, I like The Blind Assassin best. I really connected with the character of Iris and could understand how she became the old curmudgeon that she did.

I've heard of people who've read Oryx and Crake and now refuse to eat take-out chicken.
Now that you mention it, some of those so-called "nuggets" we get seem a lot like those nubbins! Yuk!

Right now I'm working on two books... The first is "Take A Thief" by Mercedes Lackey, and I'm really enjoying it, and something tells me these characters are going to stick in my mind for a bit.
The second one I'm working on is "Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears" edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. It's a collection of stories, fairy tales in a way, only somewhat dark, but I really like it and hope to finish it soon.

I'm reading Parasites Like Us by Adam Johnson. And Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk, despite the dreadful cover. Maybe the parasites got to the bird.

"Red Poppies" by Alia....about a royal Tibetan family before the 'liberation' of Tibet by China. Only about 5 pages in so not sure if it recommendable but so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back