• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pigeon said:
Great choice, Sanyuja! I hope you know you'll have to run out and get the other books in the series immediately after finishing this one?

Orrrrrrrrrrrr just be content with the first one, as the series, which should have stayed at 1 book, slopes downhill verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry quickly and poorly.

Finally, I hear Fforde is getting away from it, although probably just momentarily…
j

I'm currently reading Nightmares & Dreamscapes, by Stephen King, War of the Worlds, by H.G. Wells (unabridged), trying to finish Odd Thomas (a horrible book), by Dean Koontz, as well as some back editions of Cemetery Dance Magazine. I guess I could count my second novel I'm currently writing, as there is much reading when it comes to writing/editing/etc.

Fforde

jay said:
Orrrrrrrrrrrr just be content with the first one, as the series, which should have stayed at 1 book, slopes downhill verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry quickly and poorly.

Finally, I hear Fforde is getting away from it, although probably just momentarily…
j

Oh Jay, how could you say such things? :D I agree that the first is best, but I got rather attatched to the characters and don't think the slope you speak of is particularly steep. I found all the books enjoyable and am looking forward to reading the new one. As you say, its a departure, but not much of one. From what I heard it's based on a character from the last Thursday book. We'll see how it goes.

cheers

sirmyk said:
I'm currently reading Nightmares & Dreamscapes, by Stephen King, War of the Worlds, by H.G. Wells (unabridged), trying to finish Odd Thomas (a horrible book), by Dean Koontz, as well as some back editions of Cemetery Dance Magazine. I guess I could count my second novel I'm currently writing, as there is much reading when it comes to writing/editing/etc.

How are you finding War of the Worlds? I really liked it. Love the usage of language. I'm becoming increasingly in love with Victorian period literature ( the little I have read of it ) because of the usage and structure of language. Just the simple placement of words is different to our time. The structure of the sentences is very elegant and you find a much greater range of words. A lot of the words are not even used any longer.

As for the story of War and the Words it's a great one and moves on at a cracking pace.

What do you think?

Wabbit said:
How are you finding War of the Worlds? I really liked it. Love the usage of language. I'm becoming increasingly in love with Victorian period literature ( the little I have read of it ) because of the usage and structure of language. Just the simple placement of words is different to our time. The structure of the sentences is very elegant and you find a much greater range of words. A lot of the words are not even used any longer.
War Of The Worlds was a great book and I'm a little nervous about the movie simply because the setting of the book made it so much more interesting IMO. Wabbit, have you indulged your Victorian love affair by reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel yet? Granted, it's not authentic Vic Lit but Clarke did an amazing job of replicating the period, both in her writing style and content. Plus, on top of all that, it's a spectacular story.

Despite what my 'Currently Reading' says I'm actually in the midst of Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay at the moment and it's very, very good. Chapter 2 hooked my right in after a disappointing prologue and first chapter. The other book has fallen by the wayside as nonfiction does too often around me :eek: . I will post more on the Tigana thread when I'm done, but with my current workload it might be a while!

After about three months, I am finally nearing the end of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. I'm really enjoying it, but after this time investment there had better be one killer ending.

Kookamoor said:
Despite what my 'Currently Reading' says I'm actually in the midst of Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay at the moment and it's very, very good. Chapter 2 hooked my right in after a disappointing prologue and first chapter.
Aaah, yes, another Tigana convert - ds will be very very happy! ;)

Wabbit, have you indulged your Victorian love affair by reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel yet? Granted, it's not authentic Vic Lit but Clarke did an amazing job of replicating the period, both in her writing style and content. Plus, on top of all that, it's a spectacular story.

I'm glad to hear you say that because this is next on my list to read. I almost done with the Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri and half way through the Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. I'm enjoying both of these books a lot.

Pigeon said:
Oh Jay, how could you say such things? :D I agree that the first is best, but I got rather attatched to the characters and don't think the slope you speak of is particularly steep. I found all the books enjoyable and am looking forward to reading the new one

Needless to say, just my stern opinion. A cute idea general gets deflated once the well has been taped too many times. Ffrorde, not a skillful writer by any measuring stick, solely has his nifty little ideas to rely on. Once the idea becomes dilute -and he completely ruins his only real creation (a typical mistake for many male writers is their great inability to write a strong female character)- there is really nothing but nostalgia (for one’s previous enjoyment, which is apparently enough for most people).

As you say, its a departure, but not much of one. From what I heard it's based on a character from the last Thursday book. We'll see how it goes.

Ke-rist. I guess the aching teats still have milk in them. And here I though he was going to try to achieve something else…alas.

j

Ell said:
Aaah, yes, another Tigana convert - ds will be very very happy! ;)
I'm just glad I helped friends find something they enjoy. Found lots of cool stuff here myself, so just returning the favour.

Now about the commission... :D

My contribution to this thread - I'm currently reading Robin Hobb's Assassin's Quest and Stephen Covey's 8th Habit.

ds

SHorn said:
Jonathan Strange & Mr.Norrell by Susanna Clarke

I'll be interested to hear what you think about this book. It seemed to me to be a tad bit -- um -- well -- anyway, I'll be interested to hear back from you in about six months time.

:rolleyes:

StillILearn said:
I'll be interested to hear what you think about this book. It seemed to me to be a tad bit -- um -- well -- anyway, I'll be interested to hear back from you in about six months time.

:rolleyes:

Ditto here. I am reading it now and after three months am finally nearing the end. I am enjoying it, though there are bits that bother me a tad (though generally I can't pinpoint exactly why). I'd be interested in hearing what you other folks think.

Pigeon said:
After about three months, I am finally nearing the end of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. I'm really enjoying it, but after this time investment there had better be one killer ending.
Don't worry, there is! :)

pwilson said:
Don't worry, there is! :)

Right on! I should finish it this weekend, and I can tell that it's getting good.

Just started Fortress of Solitude on the streetcar this morning and I think I am going to like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back