• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
StillILearn said:
I happen to know someone who knew Bukowski -- and yes, in the biblical sense. He was not actually the nicest man on the planet.

Tell me what to look for in order to better appreciate his writing, please?

:confused:

Sorry, i didn't saw that you replied to my post.
Well i also don't think that he was a nice person. I guess he was pretty much a stupid bastard (most of the time), but some of his short stories are quite amazing and a really good read.
His books are a little bit repetitive and i don't think he was actually THAT good in writing entire books, it's just too long for him. I think he was better in writing short stories.
So i guess the best thing is to read some of his short stories and see if you like them. I wouldn't actually recommend his books, so far i didn't read a real memorable book written by him.
Hope this helped a little bit :)

Well, I just went and took down my copy of "Women", and I managed to read some of it. What an empty, meaningless experience that man believed life to be. If I were he, I'd try to drink myself to death as rapidly as possible.

StillILearn said:
Well, I just went and took down my copy of "Women", and I managed to read some of it. What an empty, meaningless experience that man believed life to be. If I were he, I'd try to drink myself to death as rapidly as possible.

I guess that's exactly what he did ;) he tried to drink himself to death, or at least to try to forget the meaningless and emptiness, he believed life had.

Women is not his best work and i would say, from his books, that Post Office is his best, mainly because it's shorter than the rest of his books. He is way to repetitive if his writing is too long. I believe that his short stories are his best works.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. We'll see how far i get. My friend told me it's almost the exact same as the Da Vinci Code, which i've already read.

ions said:
Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. Started yesterday.
I envy you. You still have a few of the Dark Tower to read yet. I really enjoyed the series.

I am currently ready to start reading "House of Spirits" by Isabel Allende.

muggle said:
I envy you. You still have a few of the Dark Tower to read yet. I really enjoyed the series.

About half-way through now. Enjoying it quite a bit. Always sad when you finish a good series.

muggle said:
I am currently ready to start reading "House of Spirits" by Isabel Allende.

Allende has two new books out. I bought both for my g'daughter. One is part of a kid's series and the other is about Zorro!

:D

jenngorham said:
today i finished the other boleyn girl, so i am starting the girl with the pearl earring.

I enjoyed The Girl with the Pearl, but I'd love to know how the other one, the one about Anne Bolyn's sister is? A different author, I believe?

:)

i wrote a bit over here and then slacker seconded my opinion. it was my first phillipa gregory, but it won't be my last. i didn't write too much as i still don't know how to do spoiler quotes(working on that) but it was excellent. really well done, very engaging. when i finished it i spent a good part of the day looking up the tudors. i would highly recommend it.

I just started Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. From everything I've read it sounds like a pretty intriguing premise. So far he seems to be a talented writer...

Just back from hols
Started reading on the plane home 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt

Nice to be back!!

Cabrasopa :cool:

i am just about to finish The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. the name of the book got my attention when i was at the book store- i had never heard of the author or the book. it is fantastic. beautifully written, funny, clever and sad. it's about a man who travels through time and meets his wife when she is a child. what a great book- so glad i bought it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back