• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE! Not only am I reading Portrait of a Lady, but I'm also reading The Life of Pi. I picked it up yesterday while at the airport - seems good so far.

Currently reading Clive Cussler's Inca Gold. I decided to start Brinkley's Beats by reporter David Brinkley, which highlights key people and events that he's observed throughout the years. Interesting anecdotes about Joe McCarthy, Theo Bilbo, and others abound in the book. It's great because the general musings are things that you may have not heard before and they are very unforgettable.

I'm reading Atlantic Shift by Emily Barr

I've read several of her books and find them most enjoyable.

I'm not very far into this one, but I think it will be good. I haven't read the reviews on the Amazon link above - I make it a point to try not to read the views until I've finished the book as I don't want them to put me off, or leave me disappointed!

I think Cuban Heels is my favourite of her books.

Atlantic Shift is about a Cello player who decides to leave her husband and escape her past.

I just started The Powerbook by Jeanette Winterson tonight. However, it's trapped in the bedroom currently, so once I get tired of the internet I might pick up one of the two other Winterson novels I have checked out currently, Art and Lies or Lighthousekeeping.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Read the first page and it was boring. It's short so I'll make my best effort.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Amazon.com said:
In Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees, 14-year-old Lily Owen, neglected by her father and isolated on their Georgia peach farm, spends hours imagining a blissful infancy when she was loved and nurtured by her mother, Deborah, whom she barely remembers. These consoling fantasies are her heart's answer to the family story that as a child, in unclear circumstances, Lily accidentally shot and killed her mother. All Lily has left of Deborah is a strange image of a Black Madonna, with the words "Tiburon, South Carolina" scrawled on the back. The search for a mother, and the need to mother oneself, are crucial elements in this well-written coming-of-age story set in the early 1960s against a background of racial violence and unrest. When Lily's beloved nanny, Rosaleen, manages to insult a group of angry white men on her way to register to vote and has to skip town, Lily takes the opportunity to go with her, fleeing to the only place she can think of--Tiburon, South Carolina--determined to find out more about her dead mother.

Pretty good so far

SURGE by Rod Tanner

This novel is about a Category Five Hurricane hitting the Gulf Coast of Texas, specifically the Houston-Galveston area.

The Houston Chronicle had a column by Rick Casey talking about the book,
so I decided to read it.

It was published in 2004 and some of the resemblances to the fictional storm in the book, called "Dolly" and Katrina's devastation of New Orleans is kind of spooky. There's a subplot about domestic terrorism that's pretty frightening.

It's a traditional thriller in a lot of ways, nothing fancy in terms of the writing, it's serviceable, but the detail about the aftermath of the storm is amazing.
Very good research job by the author.

Monkeycatcher, let me know how you liked it when you finish. It's been on my TBR pile for awhile now.

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

I've already read an abridged German edition, so im looking forward to a great story.

I'm almost at the end of Sandstorm By James Rollins.It was good.Hope his other books are better.

I'm just about to start Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card:

Amazon.com said:
New York Times:
Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

I'm really looking forward to this one - I've heard some great things about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back