• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just started John Dunning's The Bookman's Promise.
I'ts the 3rd of a crime novel series with the main character being an ex-cop turned book scout.
I got off on the first 2 (insert joke here) because they took place in Denver, where I lived for 5 years, and because one of them centered on E.A.Poe, one of my favorite authors.
Being an ex-bookstore owner in Denver, the author sticks to what he knows about and he does it well.

RaVeN

Reading Lolita in Tehran.

Am very impressed so far. Her love and involvement with literature is alive and sparkling. Her vignettes about life in Tehran for an educated woman are heartbreaking. I find the pace of most memoirs slow, but the sense of foreboding hanging over the characters keeps you wanting to know more. I'll start a thread on it when I'm finished, I'm sure.

cajunmama said:
I just started Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes

I finished The Martian Chronicles a few days ago, and like all short story collections (though these are interconnected) it was hit-and-miss. I didn't really 'get' some of them, but two, 'And the Moon be Still as Bright' and 'The million-year Picnic' were simply beautiful. The evocation of the short-sightedness and stupidity of humanity combined with the immensely saddening sense of irretrievable loss gave them a very strong emotional pull. It's understandable why he is considered as one of SF's greats.

Just read Limbo by Andy Secombe. Very silly book, loved it. :D A time rip sort of a thing opens up between the land of Limbo and Hove (south coast seaside resort in England) and various misfits are left to sort things out before they get wiped out. Reads a bit like Tom Holt in one of his more lucid moments. The author is the son of Harry Secombe, and was the voice of Watto in Star Wars I and II. So there you go.

Moving on to Ender's Shadow next.

Reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. This is Koontz in humour mode, but of course it still has plenty of nasty violence. It's a real page-turner so far.

Just finishing CHARLOTTE GRAY by Sebastian Faulks. Little disappointed with the final section.. Charlotte going to the prisoner holding camp at Drancy - know that in 1942 no one really knew or believed about concentration camps, but this section strikes me as somewhat naive. Read BIRDSONG which was more gruesome and harrowing, but richer than CG. Didn't realize about Faulks' trilogy - may go back and read The Girl at the Lion d'Or.
Latterly read: J.M. Coetzee, LIFE AND TIMES OF MICHAEL K. Seeps into the soul. Would love to discuss it. Also BEL CANTO BY Ann Patchett which I loved, and ANGELS AND DEMONS by Dan Brown because a friend will lend me The DA
VINCI CODE. Certainly hope DVC is more worth the reading that AAD!! First half a good page-turner; next 1/4 falling apart and the last 1/4, really, really stupid!!

Hi all
First post and I have just finished one of the best murder,mystery,serial killer etc books I read in a long time its called The Decoy by Tony Strong he has written two others which I cant wait to get when I return this to the library.
Mind you I am putting him not only in the company of but more than equal to Cornwell/Reichts/Patterson /Kellerman etc.It would make a great movie!
cheers Bev

Re-reading Microserfs. Set in 1993 so the computer stuff is sometimes a little dated, but I really like it as it captures perfectly the attitude and values of people of my age and background. It's like revisiting all the people I went to college with.

The Old Man and the Sea. Though "reading" is saying much. It feels as if you've read this by just looking at it... It's that short.

I'm just reading Catch22 by Joseph Heller and I love it. It's like the tv-series M.A.S.H and pretty funny

Currently whizzing through 'The Golden Fool' by Robin Hobb. Still loving her work, and realising how engaging her writing is. The loss of one of my favourite characters had been coming for the whole of the previous book to this (Fool's Errand) and I found myself reading slower and slower because I didn't want it to happen :(

See my sig below, I didn't enjoy DogDays, it was about jourlists went to Guinea to research a lady who was murdered.
Start to read The Seven Sisters.

hobitten said:
I have just finished Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes . It's absolutely wonderful, and highly recommendable. He has a wonderful way with words, and is excellent at describing a young boys thoughts and sentiments.

Now I am off to Monica Ali's Brick Lane .

Hobitten

Would love to hear your thoughts on Brick Lane... I recently finished it for a book club, - I was a little disappointed (after reading some great reviews) but I loved her humour, and great character description

I am reading Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities by Alexandra Robbins. Pathetic, tragic, superficial, ridiculous. Even more eye-opening than Lily Burana's Strip City.

I just started Bradbury's Dandelion Wine. It is typical Ray Bradbury so far. Ahh...childhood summers in small towns! Wonderful! I am just waiting for it to get darker.

just finished

The Decoy by Tony Strong very well plotted and keeps you on your toes havent enjoyed a mystery,murder and mayhem like this for a long time,just got his other 2 books from the library.
Hugs Bev :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back