• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, had to read that for some class a couple of years ago.

Remember liking it, but further memories elude me.

Cheers

I'm reading The Filmmaker's Handbook (for school), Dorothy Dunnett's Caprice and Rondo, and Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures.

Still reading Midnight Falcon by David Gemmell, but also started reading A Knight of the Word by Terry Brooks and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Currently reading Anna Karenina. pretty absorbing so far, but i have come across a few passages that were a bit long winded and didn't seem central to what i think is the plot of the story.

Antipodes by Ignacio Padilla.

Very short book with only 128 ( aprox ) pages. A collection of short stories. So far... mmmm, not very impressed.

Finished rereading Heinlein's Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Still pretty good, though a little cold.

Currently reading Shakepeare's Richard III. Rubbish thus far, and a little overt with the character defamation

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It was hard to get into at first, but it gets to be a little more interesting as you read on. I've attempted this book many times before and have finally decided to read the whole thing.

Abulafia said:
I've started Milan Kundera's Ignorance. If anyone can rate his other fiction then please respond.

Still reading this Ignorance. I think one of Kundera's themes of his novels is about "absence". you never existed in other's lives, some period/piece of your life is "lost"/absent. NO one else wanted to ask about/care about that fragment of your life even though you thought that was of much more importance to you, but which was out of others' concerns. That one cannot exist in different places at the same time,synchrological---spelling? which reminded me of his another book life is elsewhere.

"Past", fragments of past life, people in your past life, all of which cannot be stitched in to your current, kept apprearing in this book. your life cannot extend to more than where you think it should.

did not have this book at hand now. only jotted down something came to me. anyway.

I have just finished reading DISGRACE by JM Coetzee. I had been so impressed with the LIFE AND TIMES OF MICHAEL K that I wanted to try more of the author. Many levels to this novel, but underlying is the all pervading atmosphere of post-apartheid South Africa which, from the perspective of whites, appears a very dark and scarey place to be. So good to read great (spare) prose. Interesting characters - all in all, recommended.

Now just started: EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED BY Jonathan Safran Foer. Found myself drawn in.. intrigued.. wish I had not had to put it down! Will get back to it now. Bartus55

Yeah, I have read that one and it's really beautifully written and a good story that moves you along. The characters are really developed well and grow so much with the story. Sure you will enjoy it a lot :)

I am currently reading Christopher Moore's "Practical Demonkeeping" and William Golding's "Lord of the Flies". I enjoy both of them very much, though the first one a little bit more than the second :D . I've learned you can't go wrong with a Chris Moore!

-Linguana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back