• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
cajunmama said:
I'm now reading Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith. It looks pretty good.

Hey, I read the first one in that series! It was fun. What did you think of the other books?

I'm currently reading Code to Zero by Ken Follett. Liking it pretty much :D

finished: Jack Vance - The Gray Prince
currently reading: Philip K. Dick - The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

Linguana said:
Hey, I read the first one in that series! It was fun. What did you think of the other books?

I really liked it. I'm done with it now and I'm reading The Full Cupboard of Life. It is a great read, too.

I seem to have run out of mysteries at the moment - Have read all of Sue Crafton's novels and Tony Hillerman has nothing new out. So I went to a thrift store. Right now, I reading "On the Road with Charles Kuralt" which is basically an autobiography of his years in newspapers and television. He traveled all the time and that is what makes the book interesting.

Finished Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness, but didn't really enjoy it due to the style it was written in (I couldn't get into Earthsea either for that matter).

Reread Brin's Startide Rising which was enoyable, though not quite as good as its hype suggests. I still prefer Sundiver.

Currently reading through The Count of Monte Cristo though I'm at a realtively boring bit of the book around chapter 32/33. I'm sure Dumas could have chopped some of his chapters out.

fluffy bunny said:
Currently reading through The Count of Monte Cristo though I'm at a realtively boring bit of the book around chapter 32/33. I'm sure Dumas could have chopped some of his chapters out.

Is it the bit in Rome/Italy? I thought the whole of that could have been chopped out at no great cost to the book. There's a little background built up but nothing that couldn't be set up quite easily in another way.

I'm readnig "Love in the time of cholera" now and I'm melting away with every sentence. Such a wonderful way of writing... it's simply beautiful. Which is why I have to go offline now and read some more ;) .

I finally finished Gaiman's American Gods, today, and I absolutely loved it - Gaiman has definitely got the gift!

The new book is Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair - should be fun.

Cheers

I am reading Blindness by Jose Saramago. Great story, but not easy to read. Dialogue is hard to follow due to his lack of punctuation.

I'm reading the third book in the series. Third one excluding the prequels that were published later.

Don't wanna get your teddy bear mad at me.

Knock on.

I'm reading 'Blindness', too. I was slightly afraid of it due to everything I heard about it like the lack of punctuation (cajunmama already mentioned it... ), but after a few pages you get used to the style. I'm throughoutly enjoying this book so far.

Cajunmama and Rigana - I was thinking that perhaps Saramago wrote Blindness without punctuation so that the reader also felt a little blind while reading. Do you know what I mean? Your confusion adds to the experience. At least that's what it felt like to me.

I just started The Great Gatsby today, and should be finished tomorrow. I didn't realize it is such a short book. It seems good so far, but I'm waiting for some plot development

Jenem said:
Cajunmama and Rigana - I was thinking that perhaps Saramago wrote Blindness without punctuation so that the reader also felt a little blind while reading. Do you know what I mean? Your confusion adds to the experience. At least that's what it felt like to me.

I think you may be on to something!

Well, of all the possible places to make my first post, this seems as natural as any.

This week I have read Coetzee's "Life & Times Of Michael K" and McEwan's "The Cement Garden".
The former was a powerful reminder of how lucky I am to have been born and raised in such a peaceful and prosperous country as Norway. To be honest, I wasn't aware of Coetzee until he won the Nobel last year, but what I've read so far has been wonderful, and I'm very happy to know that several works of his are sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read.
I can't say the latter really made a strong impression on me though, even if the way the author made some rather deplorable actions seem perfectly natural was fairly interesting.

I've just started on John Wyndham's The Midwich Cuckoos. It's been a while since I read anything by him, but he's one of those guys that I feel writes some really "ripping good yarns," as the lovely phrase goes, so I'm sure this will be a fun read.

Welcome to the boards, man with a difficult name to spell.

And Cajunmama, Rigana and Jenem - I think it's common knowledge why he neglected to use proper punctuation. Jenem was spot on.

Cheers

Martin- Common knowledge is like common sense, not as common as you'd think. I learn something new every day. This was today's tidbit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back