• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading: "Watership Down" It's my first time with this book, but I think it is great. It starts a lot of thoughts in your head...

Morten said:
Reading: "Watership Down" It's my first time with this book, but I think it is great. It starts a lot of thoughts in your head...

It's a very good book. I remember reading it in one sitting straight when I was 9. :)

Anne Lamott's latest. :D

Nevada Barr's latest. :eek: (She must think she's been reincarnated as Stephen King.)

Anna Karenina :rolleyes: (Who else is reading this one?)

I'm in the middle of a few:

The Secrets of Jin-Shei by Alma Alexander
Oliver Twist
War of the Worlds
Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong
The Fellowship of the Ring (It's so tedious to read!)

I am currently reading 'The Philadelphia Experiment' by Charles Berlitz and William Moore. Interesting read!

Pearl, THANKYOU! I thought I was the only person on the face of the planet that found the LOTR series a complete bore. I'd rather read Enid Blyton for more substance than bog myself again in the swamp that is Tolkien's 'masterpiece'.

Well I have to say I'm glald I'm not the only one who thought that! I was starting to feel alone on that!

I read them AFTER seeing the movies, which certainly helped. Because at least when it was going really slow, I could just visualize Aragorn in my head. lol

I just started Azur Like It by Wendy Holden. Did a forum search and didn't see any mention of either the book or the author! So I have no feedback here to go off of. It looks fun enough!

I started reading my first Stephen King book 'Bag of Bones.'
I dont know whether I did a good thing by choosing this book as my first SK book. I had a choice of Dreamcatcher and Bag of Bones.
I chose the latter because it was smaller in size ;)
I was disappointed a bit with the book initially, the story became more interesting after 100+ pages. Does the book have to be so long? Well....

I didn't like Dreamcatcher or Bag of Bones! They are two of my least favourite King books ever. Read The Shining instead, Sanyuja! :)

Dreamcatcher is one of the only SKs that I ever put down unfinished. I did like "Bag of Bones", although I had to (metaphorically) close my eyes in some parts of it. I maintain that SK'd be be a better story-teller if he'd simply leave out some of the gore. After all, we can imagine what happens when a body is left to decompose, can't we?

In Nevada Barr's latest she did the same thing. I have enjoyed her books in the past, but really -- the story's the thing, and we do have our imaginations, after all. :eek:

I think Tony Hillerman shows a lot more respect for his readers, and does a better job, when it comes to torture, death, dying and decomposition.

I second halo's opinion. "The Shining" is one of his masterpieces. "Misery" is pretty good, too.

Halo said:
I didn't like Dreamcatcher or Bag of Bones! They are two of my least favourite King books ever. Read The Shining instead, Sanyuja! :)
Thanks for the suggestion, Halo. I will definitely try 'The Shining.' I can't say I am enjoying 'Bag of Bones' much, but it doesn't stop me from trying another SK. :)
Thanks once again! :)

Worse ways to pass the time?

sanyuja said:
but it doesn't stop me from trying another SK. :)

Well, maybe next time.
Keep in mind there are tons of better books and better writers out there.

Food for thought: “What he [Stephen King] is is an immensely inadequate writer on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis.”
-Harold Bloom

j(ay)

jay said:
Well, maybe next time.
Keep in mind there are tons of better books and better writers out there.

Food for thought: “What he [Stephen King] is is an immensely inadequate writer on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis.”
-Harold Bloom

j(ay)
Well, my take on this is -- if you don't read bad authors, how would you know a good author when you read one? :D
Thanks for the suggestion jay, I will surely keep in mind my evergrowing TBR list before picking up that book :)

sanyuja said:
Well, my take on this is -- if you don't read bad authors, how would you know a good author when you read one? :D

Indeed, indeed. But generally the smell of rancid eggs compared to, say, a blindingly green, crispy salad is pretty apparent.

Thanks for the suggestion jay, I will surely keep in mind my evergrowing TBR list before picking up that book :)

(glancing at your profile) you’re on the right track. ;)

I assure you, your non-patronage (if you wind up so) of S. King will not leave him left eating, say, rancid eggs…but you may have to change your Seinfeld quote, as this is clearly not the case…

Best,
j

jay said:
Indeed, indeed. But generally the smell of rancid eggs compared to, say, a blindingly green, crispy salad is pretty apparent.
How true! It (salad, not the egg!) reminds me that I'm hungry!
jay said:
(glancing at your profile) you’re on the right track. ;)
Thank you :)

jay said:
I assure you, your non-patronage (if you wind up so) of S. King will not leave him left eating, say, rancid eggs…but you may have to change your Seinfeld quote, as this is clearly not the case…
j
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back