• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
StillILearn said:
How is this one, starchild? I would think that Atwood would rank up there with the "excellent" writers on anyone's list! I don't remember reading
"Surfacing", though...

It was - ok. I think I made a quick post about it on the "I just finished" thread last night.

I really like her style of writing (in this book) but, I found it started to get a little repetitive eventually. The story itself was pretty good but I found the ideas she expressed in it to be way more thought provoking than the actual story itself, if that makes any sense at all.

Agreed on the TC Boyle stuff, I couldn't finish Tortilla Curtain. Not that there was anything wrong with it, (and it has a *great* opening line, one of my favourites) - it just didn't hold my attention past about 70 pages or so.

"Stories" is a bit frustrating to read, the way it's put together and collected into different themes seems a bit - odd. I'd much prefer to read something chronological, but maybe that's just me being picky... But, still, it's good to have it all in one place for cost reasons if nothing else, which is essentially why I bought this instead of the different collections.

I just started States of Mind by Brad Herzog last night. He and his wife travelled across America to places such as Harmony, California and Love, Virginia because they wanted to see what was "out there." I've always wanted to do that myself, but I'll probably have to wait until retirement! Until then, I'll just have to enjoy this book! :)

I'm about to start 'The woman in white' but i'm not overly confident that i'll like it, it just happens to be the only book i have that i havn't read.

jay said:
Not at all. Don’t worry about it.

TC Boyle, in my opinion, *was* a great short story writer.
His newer shorts are…ok, but his older stuff (_Greasy Lake_, _If the River Was Whisky_, Without a Hero_, _Decent of Man_), essentially up to/around the time many of those were collected in _Stories_ (although the ordering is not chronological in there, so I can’t recommend it on that basis, plus it’s BIG).
I’ve never thought of him as a strong novelist, and (not including his newest), the last 3 or 4 I’ve tried I’ve put down unfinished.
Not sure where you live but he’s a pretty active reader on the tour scene, and he’s a good reader and nice chap, so check him out.

I've read a lot of Coraghssen Boyle, and for me his best work was the big early novel World's End. I just loved it. East is East was also good. Also read River/Whiskey, the one about Kellogg, and maybe another. I've just picked up Tortilla Curtain, but I haven't started it yet.

I suspect World's End was that big coming-of-age novel he'd saved up for years, and all the short works after that are more ad hoc.

novella said:
I've read a lot of Coraghssen Boyle, and for me his best work was the big early novel World's End. I just loved it. East is East was also good. Also read River/Whiskey, the one about Kellogg, and maybe another. I've just picked up Tortilla Curtain, but I haven't started it yet.
I suspect World's End was that big coming-of-age novel he'd saved up for years, and all the short works after that are more ad hoc.

Yes, his earlier novels are *far* better than the newer lot. Nowadays he admittedly wants to be a "modern day Dickens", which I'm not terribly sure what that means. Essentially he should just try to write well, but I think he's, at times, shooting for the moon and trying to reach a mass audience.
One might say, of course, "whop can blame him?", but sometimes the lingering trail that leaves behind is a damage to the work.

Like I 'said' before about Palahniuk, clearly someone with some of the better ideas out there right now, but he is just *so* desperately trying to write in a particular way that it's painful.

StillILearn said:
Would any of you add AS Byatt to your 'best' list? Margaret Drabble?

Not me, but I can’t say I’m overly informed on either of them. Less so on Drabble.

SillyWabbit said:
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

Excellent pick! Feel free to post your thoughts, questions, comments on the Murakami thread after you're done.

Still toying with the Slavin short stories (quite cool) and started a re-read of Chandler's _The Big Sleep_ last night...
j

I have been avoiding that thread for fear of spoilers. I also want to read him without any preconceived notions regarding his work. After I am done then I will enjoy reading the thread and will certainly contribute my thoughts!

SillyWabbit said:
I have been avoiding that thread for fear of spoilers. I also want to read him without any preconceived notions regarding his work. After I am done then I will enjoy reading the thread and will certainly contribute my thoughts!

Don't think you will be dissapointed, it was the first one i read of his, not knowing anything about it or the Author, just took a chance on it. I now want to read more.

Oh, by the way, i have just received 'Duende' by Jason Webster on your recommendation from a previous thread of mine about Spanish books., hope to start reading it today or tomorrow, i'll let you know what i think.

Cabrasopa :cool:

I was going to read The Wind up Bird Chronicle next can you tell me what it's like. I read Norwegian Wood and liked it although it wasn't the greatest book i ever read in my life but definitely Ok and easy to read.

cabrasopa said:
Don't think you will be dissapointed, it was the first one i read of his, not knowing anything about it or the Author, just took a chance on it. I now want to read more.

Oh, by the way, i have just received 'Duende' by Jason Webster on your recommendation from a previous thread of mine about Spanish books., hope to start reading it today or tomorrow, i'll let you know what i think.

Cabrasopa :cool:

:eek: Well hope you like Duende!

As for Wind up, I am liking it so far. LOVE the chapter headings!

dolz said:
I was going to read The Wind up Bird Chronicle next can you tell me what it's like. I read Norwegian Wood and liked it although it wasn't the greatest book i ever read in my life but definitely Ok and easy to read.

Will let you know :)

dolz said:

Can't help with that one Dolz, since I haven't read it yet, but there's a Murakami thread over on the Author discussion board. Lots of talk about Norwegian Wood going on - you may be interested in it.

click here...

i've just started Colours Insulting to Nature by Cintra Wilson my mum said it was brilliant and so apparently did Jack Black??!!

seems ok so far

(going to give The Wind Up Bird Chronicles a rest for a while i fancied something a bit lighter and funny - I'll get back to it soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back