• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently reading The Wheel of Time; The Eye of the World by Rober Jordan.
It's quite enjoable so far but the length of it and the fact there are around 10 books scares me!!
Gonna get stuck into Domain by James Herbert next i think.

I just completed "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde and just started the sequel, "Lost in a Good Book." I would definitely recommend these to others. EA has to be one of the best books I've read in a while (though I certainly enjoyed "Life of Pi" too) - it is so incredibly clever!

Last read - Northern Lights - Phillip Pullman (yawn)
Current read - Disgrace - J.M. Coetzee
Next read - Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre

Mxx

I've just started 'Indictment, Trial by Fire' by T.C.Campbell. I don't think it's a well known book as it is about the 'Ice-Cream Wars' in Glasgow. The author wrote his story whilst in prison. It's a bit of an eye-opener to say the least.

another read

Wrapping up "Being Dead" by Jim Crace. Up next is "I'm a stranger here myself..." by....you guessed it! Bill Bryson. Now that I've started reading his books, I just keep going....

HI everyone, my first post on here:)

I am currently reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. For those who haven't heard of it, it is an epic novel set between Afghanistan, America and India. Starting in 1975 it tracks the story of Amir, a well to do 12 year old living with his formidable father in a peaceful Kabul and traces his life and the troubles which beset his family. I'm 3/4 of the way through and I just can't leave it down. It is beautifully written and creates amazing landscapes and history. Particularly poignant reflecting on the recent troubles with the war, Taliban and all.

Recommended- will let you know what I think when I've finished it

Hi there Shaw, welcome to the forum.

Last Read: Disgrace - JM Coetzee
Current Read: Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre
Next Read: Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident- Eoin Colfer

Mxx

Finishing off Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and Kate Remembered
Starting:
Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris
Brick Lane by Monica Ali

Ell,

Could you let me know if Brick Lane is any good when you have finished it...I was thinking about reading that one.

Also, have you read any others by Jo Harris? I read Chocolat first, then followed that one up with Five Quarters' - they seemed quite samey. I have heard that Blackberry Wine (?) is her best but haven't read that one yet.

Mxx

Ell, I have read 'Chocolat' which I enjoy. The film are bit disppooited which I expected more. I have 'Five Quarters of the Orange' on my bookcase, please let me know if it good. :)

Murphy, looking forward to Brick Lane. It's from the library and is a 2-week loan, so will likely finish it first.

Five Quarters of the Orange was highly recommended to me by my cousin. It's my first Joanne Harris novel. I haven't read Chocolat - I heard and read so much about both book and movie that I thought it might be a come-down. Kaz, Murph et al, will let you know what I think when I'm done.

Darren, I'm finding The Da Vinci Code quite fascinating. I see you've started a discussion thread in Fiction, so will add my additional comments there. :)

The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings - very enjoyable fantasy romp so far, different enough to keep the interest going :)

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back