• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Simmons

Finished The Terror last nite, and it's easily the best book I read in '07. It actually made me want to do some more reading about the Franklin Expedition. Simmons really gets across the isolation and the cold that these men must've gone through. I can't recommend it enough.

I finished it last week and I really enjoyed it. With the detail he went into with the cold and darkness of the never-ending winter, I probably should have read this book in the summer -- this winter was already bitter enough!

Dan Simmons wrote some of my favorite detective novels, about PI named Kurtz from Buffalo, NY. he also wrote a book of horror short stories whcih included a story about vampires in Bangkok, which I would like to read again, but do not remember name of book.

this winter was already bitter enough!
You ain't kiddin'!

he also wrote a book of horror short stories whcih included a story about vampires in Bangkok, which I would like to read again, but do not remember name of book.
It's a story called Dying in Bangkok from a book called Lovedeath, a great collection of 5 or 6 stories by him. My fave from that one is The Great Lover about an english poet fighting in the WWI trenches. Great stuff.

Check out the plot of his latest, Black Hills:

When Paha Sapa, a young Sioux warrior, "counts coup" on General George Armstrong Custer as Custer lies dying on the battlefield at the Little Bighorn, the legendary general's ghost enters him - and his voice will speak to him for the rest of his event-filled life.

Seamlessly weaving together the stories of Paha Sapa, Custer, and the American West, Dan Simmons depicts a tumultuous time in the history of both Native and white Americans. Haunted by Custer's ghost, and also by his ability to see into the memories and futures of legendary men like Sioux war-chief Crazy Horse, Paha Sapa's long life is driven by a dramatic vision he experienced as a boy in his people's sacred Black Hills. In August of 1936, a dynamite worker on the massive Mount Rushmore project, Paha Sapa plans to silence his ghost forever and reclaim his people's legacy-on the very day FDR comes to Mount Rushmore to dedicate the Jefferson face.

41Y0c9u9rqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Nice Lenny. This sound good.
I still have to read Drood though , children of the night stopped me from reading him for a while.

Nice Lenny. This sound good.
I still have to read Drood though , children of the night stopped me from reading him for a while.

I've got it and haven't read it yet either Thomas. I'll probably wait until summer though, fewer distractions. Song of Kali wasn't as scary as I'd heard but still really good. Disturbing and sad would be more fitting. Summer of Night is probably the next one I'll get.

I never could get through any of the Hyperion Cantos, or any of his sci fi stuff for that matter. I agree with Thomas, Carrion Comfort is a great place to start with him. It's right up there with The Terror as his best.

I am a fairly new Dan Simmons convert. I read The Terror last year thanks to a post on this forum and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very creepy, and meticulously researched as well. Can't wait to get back to this author. I am glad for all of the postings here so I will know which ones to avoid.....

New one coming in July, Flashback.

The United States is near total collapse. But 87% of the population doesn't care: they're addicted to flashback, a drug that allows its users to re-experience the best moments of their lives. After ex-detective Nick Bottom's wife died in a car accident, he went under the flash to be with her; he's lost his job, his teenage son, and his livelihood as a result.

Nick may be a lost soul but he's still a good cop, so he is hired to investigate the murder of a top governmental advisor's son. This flashback-addict becomes the one man who may be able to change the course of an entire nation turning away from the future to live in the past.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51wKnzc8yQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dan Simmons, I've got nothing at all bad to say about his writing. I loved Summer of Night, Song of Kali (my favorite), and Carrion Comfort. Even after reading just those three, I have already ranked him into my top five favorite horror writers.

I think this guy is an incredible author. He's won awards in 3 different genres: horror, sci-fi, and crime fiction. Pretty amazing I think. My favorite books by him are Carrion Comfort and A Winter Haunting, which is a sequel to Summer of Night. The latter was the last book I read that gave me the heebie jeebies. He's also got a great collection of short stories called Lovedeath.
It wasn't until after I'd finished A Winter Haunting that I realized it was a sequel. I'd have read the first book first if I'd known, and maybe it would have made more sense, but as a stand-alone book it sucked.

I like to give authors a second try, so I'll probably find something else of his to read.

I'm somewhat new to Simmons but I dig him so far. I loved The Terror and Summer of Night. Drood left me a little cold, Carrion Comfort was pretty good. Song of Kali is in my ereader, I just haven't worked my way down to it yet :)
My friend Matt swears the Hyperion Cantos is the best thing he's ever read, but I don't generally go for fantasy novels. I dunno...

Just saw that The Terror is being made into a movie! By Ridley Scott!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2708480/

**squeal**

I never got around to reading anything else by Simmons. I just remember the whole time I was reading The Terror I was thinking "This would make a great movie...."

Back