• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Daphne du Maurier: Rebecca

Aiel

Lolita and Rebecca

Two books I will start upon inside the week. Two books I have heard a lot about.
What do you people say?
I don't mind spoilers.

Haven't read Lolita, but I loved Rebecca. It's beautifully written. Read Jamaica Inn a couple weeks ago and it was even better. I fully intend to work my way through the whole of Daphne Du Maurier's work. Every so often I find a writer whose style of writing just clicks perfectly with me, and Du Maurier is one of those writers. The opening paragraph of Rebecca has to be my favourite beginning of ever. I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about Rebecca.

Originally posted by Mile-O-Phile
The book or the woman herself? ;)

Oh just the book. Honestly, don't get me started on that old slapper. She still owes me a tenner.

I enjoyed both books, though Lolita is sometimes hard to read as the narrator is such a creepy nutter. Haven't read Rebecca in years, but it's one of those that really stays with you.

Litany said:
Haven't read Lolita, but I loved Rebecca. It's beautifully written. Read Jamaica Inn a couple weeks ago and it was even better. I fully intend to work my way through the whole of Daphne Du Maurier's work. Every so often I find a writer whose style of writing just clicks perfectly with me, and Du Maurier is one of those writers. The opening paragraph of Rebecca has to be my favourite beginning of ever. I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about Rebecca.

Really? I don't really remember reading Rebecca now, but my log tells me I wasn't too impressed with it seven years ago. It wasn't bad, but chances are I'll never pick up another Du Maurier again.

I've never read Lolita (it's on the longest to read list ever though) but I did read a book that was based on it, and I didn't like that much. But that has no relevance whatsoever, LOL.

lies said:
Really? I don't really remember reading Rebecca now, but my log tells me I wasn't too impressed with it seven years ago. It wasn't bad, but chances are I'll never pick up another Du Maurier again.

I've never read Lolita (it's on the longest to read list ever though) but I did read a book that was based on it, and I didn't like that much. But that has no relevance whatsoever, LOL.

You have a log? That rocks! What format?

I have a book log, yes. It's a collection of A5 notebooks (50 books a notebook, and I've just started my seventh one). It's a real pity it only dates back to 1997, cause I've been trying to find out which were the books I read as a child, and it isn't really working out all that well. :(

REminds me of an English class I took in high school, the teacher wanted a list of books we'd read to see where we were coming from. I guess I have a better memory than most, I filled several pages, typed. She was pretty impressed. Or freaked. Hard to say.

I quite enjoyed Rebecca when I read it. However, the film's not much different, and it could be argued that if you've seen the film (Hithcock) don't bother with the book.

I've read both. They are pretty different books. Rebecca is a good DuMaurier book, but my fav is Frenchman's Creek. Every word in Frenchman's Creek is necessary and perfect. Rebecca is a bit more ponderous (unneccesary stuff). And Maxim is such a whiner (sorry Maxim lovers). I hate the ending. Don't bother reading the sequel (not by DuMaurier). It was too cheesy!

Lolita is definitely a creepy book. But that makes it kind of fascinating. I'm not suprised that it was banned at one point. It is a good book but a little slow at times. Plus the name Humbert Humbert doesn't exactly roll off the tongue (or your minds tongue). I've always meant to read another Nabokov novel but I never have.

“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again.”

With this line Daphne du Maurier’s magnificent and beautifully written novel, “Rebecca” begins. In short, it’s about a around 20-years old “unnamed” I-woman’s marriage to a widower; Maxim de Winter and his earlier, now-dead wife; Rebecca. And in centre of it all:

“There was Manderly. Our Manderly, secretive and silent as it had always been, the grey stone shining in the moonlight of my dream, the mullioned windows reflecting the green lawns and the terrace. Time could not wreck the perfect symmetry of those walls, nor the site itself, a jewel in the hollow of a hand.”

Already in the first 2 chapters, we are given a “summary” of what is going to happen in the rest of the novel, it’s almost like a foreshadowing, and we know “something” is wrong:

“We would not talk of Manderly, I would not tell my dream. For Manderly was ours no longer. Manderly was no more.”

It’s something, mysterious and poetic about the authors writing style, and she keeps you in “suspense” till the last sentence. I don’t know if classifying this novel as a “page-turner” would justify it, because it’s much more to it. I felt so “involved” sometimes that I dreaded reading further, because I didn’t want what I thought would happen to happen.

Brilliant. There’s not much else to say.

There was however something I didn’t like about the sudden “turn” the story took. I felt the author took the “easy way out”, and it was a rather “drastic” change, even though we were given small hints and so of what were awaiting us. But all in all, as previously said: brilliant.

Anyone in for a “deep-going” discussion? I'd really like to know what others thought of it. :)

I read it about 6mons ago and really loved it, I felt completely wrapped up in the story. I could picture it all so vividly, perfectly and I really felt the suspense the whole way, it had the perfect sinister tone to it.

I just bought the Glass Blowers by Du Maurier and I'm hoping it is poignant as Rebecca was, have you read any of her other books?

I agree Ronny, I don't think I'll ever forget Manderly, such a nice place. Described in an amazingly wow-way. ;)
No, I havent' read anything else by her, but I do have "Frenchman's Creek" at home, which I'll probably give a try after a few weeks or days.
I'd like to know what you thought of "Glass Blowers" though, when you've finished it.
Thank you for replying by the way.

Have you heard of "Rebecca's Tale" by the way? It's written by Sally Beauman. I don't think I'll read it.. I don't want to ruin the "Rebecca-experience". :)

I was going to read Rebecca's Tale but my cousin (who has same taste as me) said it was disappointing after reading Rebecca and put a bit of a damper on the whole story for her. I wanted to keep the story in memory just as Daphne left it so I scratched it from my TBR list.

I considered it a "page turner" as it forced me into a couple of late nights.

I had heard a couple of chapters on one of radio fours' serialisations a few years ago and kind of got swept up in that although I never did hear the end.
I then bought the book for my wife which sat there unread for about three months until I picked it up. I totally agree with the poetic feel to it mentioned before. And it was pretty tense whenever Mrs Danvers made an appearance; especially when she's talking our heroine into leaping from the window onto the flagstone below; scary stuff.

After reading the book I went in search of the 1940's film, which I thought was very good, if maybe not completey true to the book, they at least got Mrs Danvers off very well : I suppose they'd never get it all in if they included everything.

As for Rebecca's Tale. I'm know I'd be dissapointed so I think I'll give it a miss.

Rebecca

I adored Rebecca. I will admit that I didn’t have high hopes for it when my roommate insisted I read it – but wow, I was won over pretty darn quickly! I think Maya uses the term ‘brilliant’ appropriately. The language and imagery are just so beautiful and vivid. And the main character vs. the presence of Rebecca and Mrs. Danvers, so well done. Weren’t you just livid about the costume party? Rarely do I feel so much for the main character, but du Maurier communicates her helplessness and loneliness so beautifully! I just cringe in sympathy when she breaks the figurine and hides the bits.

I saw the old movie, and thought it was really well done. I remember the ending being different from the book though.

Rebeccas Tale

Someone gave me Rebecca's Tale, but I've never read it. Don't think I will either.

It's much of the same reason as the one you guys gave, that I don't want to even give "Rebecca's Tale" a try. My copy of "Rebecca", actually had "foreword" by Sally Beauman, and she didn't impress me at all with her "views".

blueboatdriver said:
I considered it a "page turner" as it forced me into a couple of late nights.
I had read 50 pages of it before I sat down with it on Sunday, and just couldn't put it down till I had finished it up, so I truly get what you mean. ;)

blueboatdriver said:
And it was pretty tense whenever Mrs Danvers made an appearance; especially when she's talking our heroine into leaping from the window onto the flagstone below; scary stuff.
Oh yeah. So true. And the ball (costume party), I just knew something would go wrong, and she would be dressed up like Rebecca, I just knew it (Mrs. Danvers being nice, was too hard for me to believe), and I kind of felt sick, and just didn't want to read any further, but I did... so Pigeon is right about the reader being livid about it.

And I agree with you Pidge, I really had a lot of sympathy for her (the main character). If she said something "wrong", I'd go oh no, you kind of "felt" everything she supposedly was feeling.. if you understand what I mean. Well atleast I did. :)

About the film, I hear Maxim didn't kill Rebecca, but she just died? Is that true? I didn't like that in the book: Maxim killing Rebecca and actually loathing her and etc. That got a little too much for me, a little "unbelivable", but it was ok and "forgiven", considering how she went on with the story. Still bothering me a tiny bit though. :)

Thank you for your "inputs".

Back