• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dark Water

Remake

No kidding. Have you seen the Japanese/Chinese version? I've seen it. The atmosphere of the apartment seems a little more creepy. Not sure about the remake. Haven't seen it. Probably a disaster like The Grudge "Juon".

Yes, I've seen the Japanese version of most movies being remade. The remakes lose out because they try to transpose the cultural horror of Japan to American culture (if you'll excuse that expression) which makes the end product lacking.

I quite agree about the Japanese versions being better.The Ring wasn't scary but Ringu freaked me out. The GRudge was shite yet Juon was another weirdly scary film. Dark Water, the Japanese version is also very chilling. Apart from the fact it's the delectable Jennifer Connelly in the American version I doubt I'll bother this time.

You guys should watch "Shutter" if you already haven't seen it yet. It's a Thai horror movie. They do have subtitles. It's pretty good and scary. Makes you think twice when taking pictures.

The Ring was horrible in that it put so much emphasis on the relationships and they changed everything that was scarey in Ringu to weird stuff - like the horse jumping off the ferry, the bug in the box, the father doing the jitter-bug in the bathtub, etc. They may have been shocking but I don't think they were frightening.

Dark Water looked pretty creepy from the commercials but when I heard it was a remake of a Japanese movie I lost all interest.

Out of interest, has anyone seen the Korean movie The Isle? I think I'll rent it this weekend.

'The Isle' by Kim Ki-Duk? It's one of my favourite movies. It probably has the best animal cruelty I've seen in a film. If you like 'The Isle' then I would recommend 'Bad Guy' which is somewhat similar. On a general note Ki-Duk seems to like to include prostitution in his movies.

I'm thinking of going against tradition and seeing one of Ki-Duk's latest movies; 'Samaritan Girl' at the cinema.

Is the original 'Dark Water' worth seeing? The trailer gave an impression of blandness of average horror movies.

Wolhay said:
It probably has the best animal cruelty I've seen in a film.

So it's even better than the guy eating a live squid in Oldboy as he bites into its head and its tentacles reach up, wrapping around his fingers?

Is the original 'Dark Water' worth seeing? The trailer gave an impression of blandness of average horror movies.

It wasn't the best in the Japanese horror exports and I remember drifting out now and again. Try it but give preference, if you have not seen it, to A Snake Of June.

I'm putting 'Old Boy' and 'A Snake Of June' on my list of movies to see (I've had an interest of the movie 'Tetsuo' but I'm not sure if it's worth purchasing).

The torture in 'The Isle' might not top the squid in 'Old Boy' but it's almost sophisticated. Just don't quote me on it because it's not really true.

There's also a couple of funny scenes in Ki-Duk's movie 'Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring' where a young boy ties stones to some animals to see how they'll cope and having a manical giggle at the same time. Unfortunately it turns into a more or less moralistic story.

I have seen both Ringu and The Ring and I actually thought the ring was far better. I went into watching them thinking to myself that the Japanese movie would obviously blow the American one away. It didn't.

I thought the PACE was much tighter in the American one. This is one of the most crucial points. I liked the way the American one had the days numbering down.

DAY 7

DAY 6

DAY 5

and so on. It really gave a great sense of foreboding. The Japanese one was also a lot looser and that increased the lack of pace. Where the American one was BAMN this happens then onto the next thing.

The undead girl ( don't recall her name ) didn't really look very scary in the Japanese one. She just looked sick. The one in the American one actually looked like a corpse. Much better.

The images on the Japanese one were disappointing. I didn't find them at all scary. The images on the tape of the American version were really surreal and visually impacting. I really liked the images and noises on the American version in the sense of them being scary and also an artistic sense.

I was very surprised I liked the American one much better.

I was told to watch the Japanese versions of each of these films prior to watching the American versions, and I liked the American versions a bit better.

Since we're on the subject of Asian Cinema...does anyone know the name of Korean film about a cop chasing a serial killer that is somehow connected to a young woman? In the end the cop finds she's the killer. I tried my local Korean film store but the woman at the counter only spoke Korean and mine's a little rusty {sarcasm }

The little girl in The Ring was named Sommara (sp?). I know some people would disagree with me, but I actually liked The Ring 2 better than the first one. I liked the line Naomi Watts said towards the end: "I'm not your fucking mommy!!" So kickass cool!

Back