• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David Foenkonis: The Erotic Potential Of My Wife

Nellie

ISBN: 978-1-84659-045-0

Published: September 2008

Publisher: Telegram Books

This isn't as saucy as the title might sound, but it is very funny and very touching. The book is translated from the original French manuscript, and has quite a unique style. There is something of Pushing Daisies about it, as a sly and witty narrator observes the life of Hector. We meet Hector just as he is about to throw himself under an underground train. We learn what has lead to his decision to end his life, although fortunately for him, he doesn't succeed.

Hector collects things, in fact he collects collections. Everything from cocktail sticks to rabbits feet. His collective urge is so overwhelming that he starts to fail to function in life. Then one day he meets a woman who becomes his wife and so starts a new collection... he collects moments of his wife doing cleaning the windows.

It all sounds a little odd, and rather creepy, but it isn't. The book deals with how everyday worries about what others must think of us can build into something quite overwhelming and totally out of proportion, but it also recongnises that these things can be brought back into perspective when someone close cares enough to listen and understand.

There are some absolutely hysterical scenes in the book, one of which has a dinner party ending in a most unexpected way, but there are also painfully touching scenes too as Hector tries to find his way through his very everyday life.

This one isn't for everyone as it is a little strange, but worth trying, especially if you like the Pushing Daisies type of narrative.

I read this book back in 2006. It was a quick and light read but I don't remember much about it, just that the guy liked watching his wife do the windows.
I do remember that I lent it to a coworker and when she returned it her comment was "Ouais, c'est sympa mais ce n'est pas de la littérature"...:D which means something like "Yeah, that's nice but it's not literature" :lol:
Could you give me an example of how it's similar to Pushing Daisies? I no longer have my copy, I had to leave behind a couple of boxes full of books when I moved :sad:

I do remember that I lent it to a coworker and when she returned it her comment was "Ouais, c'est sympa mais ce n'est pas de la littérature"...:D which means something like "Yeah, that's nice but it's not literature" :lol:

That's probably fair comment!

Could you give me an example of how it's similar to Pushing Daisies? I no longer have my copy, I had to leave behind a couple of boxes full of books when I moved :sad:

It was the narration which reminded me of Pushing Daises. I don't have my copy with me at the moment to give you a specific example, but the way the narrator talks the reader through what is happening is exactly the way the narration is done on the show. When I get home I'll look up some examples for you. :flowers:

Now if i wanted to die in the next few hours, i'll just read this casualy on the couch.
My wife has clubbed people for far less.

Now if i wanted to die in the next few hours, i'll just read this casualy on the couch.
My wife has clubbed people for far less.

Better yet...read it in the foyer of your church while waiting for services to start...make a game out of how many rolling eyes or doubletakes you get...Cheap entertainment:lol:

Back