• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David McCullough

lionsroar13

Has anyone read David McCullough? Its history brought to life and much more interesting than your school textbook ever was. So far, I have read 1776 and Mornings on Horseback. Any opinions on his writing?:)

I have read several of McCullough's books with great pleasure. Some are related to specific people like Truman or Theodore Roosevelt, but the one I enjoyed most was The Path between the Seas. It is the story of the Panama Canal. Why did the French fail when, after all, they built the Suez Canal successfully? Why is it in Panama instead of Nicaragua, where the Army engineers recommended building it? What did the railroads have to do with it? Is the same lock system still in place?

A great story full of great characters, and all told in a lively style. I could have used less about the French financial schemes, but the stuff about the actual construction of the canal has left me with a continuing desire to go there are see it for myself.

I have his book on Harry S. Truman which I began once, before ending abrutply. I need to get back to that one. :D

Back