• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dialects

Martin

I split this off from the Misreadings-thread, because we were going way off-topic, which was a shame.

I think the question that got the off topic banter started was this:

By the way, Halo, what does 'tek' mean? (Give me a context, I'll figure it out.)

Cheers

Martin said:
By the way, Halo, what does 'tek' mean? (Give me a context, I'll figure it out.)

Cheers

It would probably be a Yorkshire or Lancashire person saying it, and it is the phonetic spelling of how they would say a certain word (so it's not an actual word). For example:

"Tek this into the kitchen for me please."

I'll have you speaking Yorkshire yet, Martin! :D

I mean, you don't have to give me a context - you could also just tell me, flat out.

Cheers

Martin - ooh, I'm impressed, however did you work that out? ;)

Freya - true! :) But without the "cock", we don't say that round here. I think it's more West Yorkshire or even Lancashire? I think that word is now going to confuse Martin even more. ;)

As unlikely as it may seem, is 'cock' used affectionately in this context? Or am I way off?

Cheers

Yes, it's a term of endearment I suppose, and is tacked on to the end of a sentence when speaking in a friendly manner to someone. Other words used like this, depending on which part of the UK you're in, could include: duck; darling; love; sweetheart; chuck and hinny. We're very free with our affection in the UK, you know! :) I bet your expensive university course never taught you all this! :D (Fees to follow).

Short for 'cocker', Martin. Tis a Lancashire thing definitely, that's all the little old men call me half the time. And I'm quite sure it's not an insult :)

If you go to Newcastle and surrounding areas, you'll find yourself constantly called 'pet' (usually preceeded by 'Alreeeet'). Nottingham way they always call you 'duck'. Can't think of anymore examples :confused:

Another one that confuses people, is us (Brits) calling our friends our 'mates.' :)

Halo said:
We're very free with our affection in the UK, you know! :)

Apart from with foreigners (incidently Yorkshire is very foreign to Lancashire Halo, so watch out :p)

I bet your expensive university course never taught you all this!
They sure as hell didnae!

Oh, and Freya, I say 'mate' all the time (when I'm speaking to an English-oriented person, that is). 'Cheers, mate' is my usual way of signing off.

Cheers

It amuses me in Newcastle when they say "why aye man" to people, and when they say it to a female it becomes "why aye man woman"! :)

Freya said:
Apart from with foreigners (incidently Yorkshire is very foreign to Lancashire Halo, so watch out :p)

True! :p But I'm in a generous mood, so I'll forgive you for Coronation Street if you forgive us for Emmerdale! :)

My friend used to always call me his 'Marrow'. Which apparantly means friend, but we never quite clarified it, as I could never decide if he was saying 'marrow' or 'marrer' or 'marror'? Do we not have a resident Geordie who could clarify this?

Ooo and another - middle aged women are called 'wifeys'. I'd neve heard that before I went to uni.

Shortly I'll stop hijacking this thread, I promise.

Anyone going to provide an insight to cockney rhyming slang? :D

Halo said:
True! :p But I'm in a generous mood, so I'll forgive you for Coronation Street if you forgive us for Emmerdale! :)

Emmerdale is quality entertainment! It's on in a couple of minutes :D And Corror is good comedy value. Both are highly representative of each county, I would imagine.

Hotpot!

On a completely unrelated topic; I absolutely hate it when an older man adddresses an older women as 'Girl' and a younger girls as 'Lady'.

There's something fundamentally wrong about that!

By the way, you want cockney rhyming slang? Because I can give you lots.

Cheers

Freya said:
Anyone going to provide an insight to cockney rhyming slang? :D

Been years since I lost my accent (4 years in Bath has a middle classing effect), but I am indeed a cockney sparrow. My pearly garb is at the dry cleaners at the mo.

WRT 'cocker' that can be used down south too, though it's certainly rarer than it is up north. It's certainly not unheard of though. I suppose our version would be 'me old mucker'.

I think one of the most confusing things about terms of endearment can be how when you like someone you insult them, but when you're starting a fight you use friendly words.

So to a stranger down the pub, calling them 'mate' could land you with a black eye, but your friends would all be fat bastards and old gits. At least that's how it works dahn saaf.

I'd rather it came from a proper southerner :( But if noone else wants to play, you may tell me some.

Back