• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dialects

My last off-topic post, and I'm sincerely sorry, Novella.

Cockney Rhyming Slang:

Adam and Eve = believe = as in "would you Adam and Eve it?"
Almond Rocks = socks
Apples and pears = stairs
Aris = Aristotle = bottle & glass = arse (a two-stage rhyme) [see Plaster below] (disputed)
Artful Dodger = lodger
Ascot Races = braces (called suspenders in the U.S.)
Aunt Joanna = piano
Bag of fruit = suit
Baked Bean = queen
Baker's Dozen = cousin
Ball and Chalk = walk
Barnaby Rudge = judge
Barnet = Barnet Fair = hair

Find the rest here.

Cheers

They don't have Elephant and Castle!

Elephant and Castle = Stick it up your arsehole.

Though admittedly, I did first learn that off Mr Jolly Lives Next Door. But Ade Edmonson wouldn't lie about rhyming slang. And I know enough people that use it that it must be real by now.

And it is my favourite afterall. :eek:

It's all in the delivery.

i.e., Punch them as you say it and they won't argue with your pronunciation.

There is no way (no way!!!) that I can pronounce 'Elephant' in such a way that it even remotely resembles 'Stick it up your'.

No way!

Cheers

Freya said:
Well Corrors on now - what are you doing back??

I don't like Corrie - never have. I even hate the whiney theme music. ( I realise this puts me into a minority of about 3 people in the world.)

Correct. I watch most of them though, it's just Corrie I don't like!

Good idea to split this from the other thread, I was feeling rather guilty about Novella's thread going off at a tangent (as usually happens), but this dialect thing is quite interesting! :)

Martin said:
Castle and arsehole I can understand ..

.. but Elephant and stick it up?

Cheers
Where did you get those two from?

As an aside, I can't stand soaps - I had to endure them as a child every dinnertime :p

Cockney rhyming slang is easy to get if people say the whole slang, but usually if it's a good one, they go to the abbreviated version in regular speech and you have to guess what the rhyming part is.

Also, new ones are coined all the time, by people who really love to use them.

Some abbreviated ones I hear used in daily chatter:

'ave a butchers= have a look (butcher's hook = look)

up the apples = upstairs (apples and pears = stairs)

Rosie = tea (Rosie Lee = tea)

Trouble = wife (trouble and strife = wife)

Leaving the key connecting part out is where the fun comes in. :cool:

ta luvs,

Novella

BTW, what you all call a cocker we all call a corker.

Martin said:
There is no way (no way!!!) that I can pronounce 'Elephant' in such a way that it even remotely resembles 'Stick it up your'.

It's only the last part has to rhyme. Elephant and Castle is 'legitimate' slang for arsehole, the whole thing 'Elephant and Castle. Stick it up your arsehole.' is a quote from a Comic Strip Presents film called Mr Jolly Lives Next Door. Probably very few people here will have heard of it, but basically these two chaps are mistaken for Mr Jolly and told to take out Nicolas Parsons. They take the job thinking it's easy money (just take him out for a nice meal, get him drunk) not realising that Mr Jolly is actually a hitman rather than a cuddly toy salesman. It's all completely hilarious. Trust me.

Anyway, they're giving this tour of London (not to Nicholas Parsons) and Ade Edmondson rides around on a bicycle explaining rhyming slang. You probably had to be there, but it was very funny. If you've ever seen The Young Ones, the people who made that are the people of The Comic Strip and they made a lot of very silly films. Mr Jolly Lives Next Door is one of the best of them, closely followed by The Yob which was a piss take of The Fly, where a rich bloke and a chav get their genes all mixed up in an experiment gone badly awry.

Anyhoo, enough of these digressions. Basically, you say it with a certain rhythm and it comes out sounding wonderful. Trust me. I'm from the East End, I know these things.

Back