• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Diamonds?

ions

With the movie out starring Leo it's finally going to be a more commonly discussed topic. The evils of the diamond industry. It's faceted in evil. ;) Anyone know of a book detailing all the dispicable things done for silly little rocks?

I found Diamond: The history of the cold-blooded love affair. by Matthew Hart used. Looks like it has the info I am looking for. 014029001x

Sounds intriguing. I've never been too hyped over diamonds anyway, preferring to spend our money on books. But I've been told I'm odd before:p So any lurking would-be jewel thieves...look elsewhere!

The Secret World of the Diamond Cartel? I didn't know De Beers actions were considered so secret.

De Beers is also trying to have "cultured diamonds" renamed as "synthetic diamonds" though they are molecularly identical to natural diamonds.

This is almost completely off-topic, but I saw the movie and I am so glad I did... I think I am the exact demographic they were aiming for. I looooooooove my diamonds, and I love to buy them as cheaply as possible. But after seeing the movie and the companion documentary on CNN (Blood on the Stone- if you can catch it, it is excellent!), I won't be making that mistake again.

ions- Do you have any recommended reads on this subject yet? Or still searching?

Interesting book there ions. You do have to feel for the people who labor in those mines, definitely not an easy task. The issue is very complicated as more than one person/entity is guilty here. On the one hand, you have various rebel factions in African nations pressing people to work in order to procure the diamonds to buy guns and ammunition. On the other hand, you also have the government running mine operations and that is problematic there as obviously, their safety standards and labor laws are not up to snuff. The diamond barons have definitely made a killing, in more ways than one with their product. I'd advocate a boycott, but I'm guilty of enjoying products that have also been the product of misery-namely, coffee, clothing, and tobacco. In all three of those industries, workers do not have it easy.

But at least coffee and clothing do something, I'll ignore the tobacco ;), diamonds are nearly useless.

Occlith, while it's not the best kept secret it's perhaps a secret based on ignorance. How many women out there are walking around with the opinion the mineral on their ring finger is worth something and have no clue it's not. That and De Beers isn't exactly an open company.

I read the book by Hart and it was OK, if you aren't at all familiar with diamonds in a intelligent way, you think they're valuable, or if you are interested in corrupt industries then it's a worthwhile read. But it just goes over the basics really. The diamonds that are actually considered valuable, not because they do anything but because they happen to be the largest or of a specific colour unlike any other. The search for kimberlite shafts and the deceit that goes into that. The marketing-- "In 1997 a prominent Antwerp diamantaire stepped to the microphone at a diamond conference and told an audience of miners, prospectors, and financiers that the entire diamond business rested on two supports--vanity and greed" I say it's three. Add stupidity. It also covers the Blood Diamond trade, and the Canadian diamond trade, the Indian diamond trade. A little bit about Antwerp, Tel Aviv and London where diamonds are bought and sold. It vaguely mentions in passing the handful of the diamonds practical uses and it was published five years ago so the man-made part of it isn't covered. It's a good start to learning the reality of diamonds but overall it's easy on De Beers, still pretty damning. You can tell the author likes the worthless things but everything he knows about them says that's stupid which he doesn't appear to be ready to admit. Kinda weakens the overall argument of the book.

Until the stupid smarten up, look at me hold my breath, we'll never get to use them as a heat conductors or explore what they could be used for if manufactured to specific sizes and shapes.

Back