• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Diana Gabaldon: Outlander

thetimeisnow

Diana Gabaldon's 'Outlander' Series

I am, for the second time, trying to read through 'The Fiery Cross', the latest book from Diana Gabaldon's 'Outlander' series. Have not enjoyed this book nearly as much as all her previous ones...those I couldn't put down...this one I can't stay with.

Any thoughts or opinions on this book? I've seen on amazon.com it has very mixed reviews.

I have yet to read "The Fiery Cross". I have heard from other readers that they also have had trouble getting through it. :( I so enjoyed her previous books but am apprehensive on picking up this one after all I have heard :(

I read one of Gabaldon's books a couple of months ago (Drums of Autumn I think it was called), and I just couldn't make myself like it. I finished it though, which has to mean something, cause I struggled through those 1000 pages. But frankly, I don't see why she's so popular?

The Fiery Cross

I guess out of all Diana's books, The Fiery Cross took the most "concentration," but I did like it quuite a bit. I'm very invested in the series and characters though and can't wait for the next one.

Has anyone read outlander? I absolutely love this series and just wanted some feed back besides my own biast opinion.

I just picked it up from the library today after several of my friends told me I had to read it. I'll post again after I've read it and let you know how I liked it but so far I've heard lots of good things.

thx for the input ronny. Do you ever read a book and feel like the author wrote it just for you and then try to make people read it and then when someone you haven't suggested it to gives you an opinion, you're like hey, that's my book? That's what this book did for me anyway

I finished Outlander last night and it was very good, now I can't wait to read more of the series. Is Dragonfly in Amber the next book?

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

Has anyone else read this series? I read the first one and couldn't put it down! Next thing I knew I was finished the series! Now I'm reading the Lord John books to get my James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie fix :lol: I love James and Claire and I love the history in there. It's a very intriguing read.

:D ME! I went to her book signing last year! From the Lord John series I loved
Lord John and the Hands of Devils. There are many threads on each book, so look around.

Me too! Love the series, thankful I discovered it quite by accident in a grocery store of all places, the first one Outlander in my pre-computer days. :cool: I immediately bought the rest that were out at the time.

I had the paperback and sold it to a bookstore and then went home to download it to my Kindle. I haven't picked it up in a few days because of school.

I've read the first three in the series and then it lost me. I was never a huge fan anyway. I never understood why she left it 20 years to return to Jamie. She had no proof he had died at Culloden, people did survive it! Clare, in many ways, was a selfish woman.
That's my two cents worth, LOL!

I've read the first three in the series and then it lost me. I was never a huge fan anyway. I never understood why she left it 20 years to return to Jamie. She had no proof he had died at Culloden, people did survive it! Clare, in many ways, was a selfish woman.

Gotta agree to the Claire point, but that's all agree to!:cool:

It wasn't just that she thought Jamie was dead, remember her husband in the present...can't remember his name but he had a tombstone made for Jamie and placed it, brought Clare to see it I believe, anyhow she did see it somehow.

That's why she was so sure Jamie had died. The minute she had a clue that he'd survived, she ran right back to Jamie.

I was not as big a fan of Fiery Cross. It was about 200 pages too long and just jumped from story to story. I think the series should have ended with Drums of Autumn.

I read Outlander - twice actually - and loved it. I just can't get into the next one - why?! I really want to like it - but I've started it probably 4 or 5 times and can't get past the first couple chapters.

Dragonfly In Amber was my favorite book in the series. Definetly give it another go and even if you want to quit push through the first couple of chapters you have a problem with and I promise it will get going further along in the story.

I think part of the problem is that the first few chapter of Outlander just grabbed you and Dragonfly doesn't start that way. But one you're maybe five or six chapters in it really gets in to the Outlander groove.

Dragonfly In Amber was my favorite book in the series. Definetly give it another go and even if you want to quit push through the first couple of chapters you have a problem with and I promise it will get going further along in the story.

I think part of the problem is that the first few chapter of Outlander just grabbed you and Dragonfly doesn't start that way. But one you're maybe five or six chapters in it really gets in to the Outlander groove.

Yes,push through it,it's worth it,and you still have about a million more pages after that .I am so excited the new book is coming out in 2009.

Back