• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dirty literary secret!

DorianGray

What genre do you secretly enjoy reading but wouldn't admit to in polite company?

My secret is a penchant for trashy horror novels, I've read all Richard Laymon's novels (some of them twice) and some novels by Bentley Little. They don't come worse than that!

I suppose it's the literary equivilent of a healthy eater sneaking off and gorging on a Pizza Hut or McDonalds every couple of months!

I'd say comedy books. I have a fe George Carlin ones, as well as the latest Jon Stewart book that lampoons history and high school textbooks.
Smokin.bmp

It's not exactly the same subject. This thread is asking what "genres" might be your dirty little secret. The other thread you link to is asking what "novels" you were afraid to admit to reading on this forum.

Wabbit said:
It's not exactly the same subject. This thread is asking what "genres" might be your dirty little secret. The other thread you link to is asking what "novels" you were afraid to admit to reading on this forum.
The samish subject then. Anyway, I think much of the posts in the other thread might interest DorianGray anyway, cause they state reasons why some people don't talk about certain books, as well as genres and specific examples.

DorianGray said:
Oh yeah! I never noticed that. Sorry.

Don't worry about it! This thread is fine. You are asking a different question :)

As Lies points out tho, that thread maybe of interest to you.

To answer your question: I don't really think there is any genre that I would be embarrassed to admit to reading. I do like Fantasy and SF genres which some people might not want to admit to. I personally have no problem with liking those sorts of novels. It's up to me what I like and not anybody else.

I like a bit of chick lit every now and then myself. I'm not exactly embarrassed about it, but I don't really talk about it because, let's face it, most of the books aren't exactly something you can discuss at length.

I have read some chick lit too. :D

I have read "for water like chocolate" which is regarded as chick lit. I don't find it so...

I read "Butterfly" by Kathryn Harvey earlier this year. That's probably not one I'd admit reading to just anyone...it includes a really good, trashy, sexy idea, though! :eek: :D

Erotica :eek: (as I've mentioned before)...
I'm embarassed to order erotica at the Barnes and Noble that I work at because I don't want my coworkers to see.

Libra6Poe said:
Erotica :eek: (as I've mentioned before)...
I'm embarassed to order erotica at the Barnes and Noble that I work at because I don't want my coworkers to see.

You work there? Just say it's for a customer!

Joanna Trollope novels

I have a strange relationship with Joanna Trollope. A few of my best friends read her, smile and say what a good read she is. When we discuss her, I sneer and call her twee! :D I wait for the day they ask me how I know so much about her... I secretly buy up her books in second hand shops, not too many, so far but... The thing is, I really DON'T like her writing style or the characters she creates, I only read them so I can slag them off really. How can I admit this in polite company? What a dilemma!! :D

DorianGray said:
What genre do you secretly enjoy reading but wouldn't admit to in polite company?

My secret is a penchant for trashy horror novels, I've read all Richard Laymon's novels (some of them twice) and some novels by Bentley Little. They don't come worse than that!

I suppose it's the literary equivilent of a healthy eater sneaking off and gorging on a Pizza Hut or McDonalds every couple of months!

oops! What genre is Trollope?

I'm not sure she comes under any polite genre for me???

lindaj07 said:
I have a strange relationship with Joanna Trollope. A few of my best friends read her, smile and say what a good read she is. When we discuss her, I sneer and call her twee! :D I wait for the day they ask me how I know so much about her... I secretly buy up her books in second hand shops, not too many, so far but... The thing is, I really DON'T like her writing style or the characters she creates, I only read them so I can slag them off really. How can I admit this in polite company? What a dilemma!! :D

Hmm, what genre do I secretly enjoy that I keep secret?? I'd have to say I'm not afraid to admit I enjoy horror, but don't tell alot of people that every now and then, I like to read a cheesy romance :p

DorianGray said:
You work there? Just say it's for a customer!
:)
I can't 'coz it'll be under my name... when you place an order you give a number to be contacted (and I won't use a different number 'coz I like it when they call me to let me know that it is in, in the case that I'm not working)... anyway, when you give the number, your information pops up (your name, previous orders, address (sometimes), etc...)

I'm pretty close to my manager, he's a father figure type and once I ordered this French book ("Baise Moi" or something like that)... turned out, that since I ordered the English translation, the title was translated as well... so there it was in English in huge letters on the cover... :eek: totally embarassing.

Libra6Poe said:
:)
I can't 'coz it'll be under my name... when you place an order you give a number to be contacted (and I won't use a different number 'coz I like it when they call me to let me know that it is in, in the case that I'm not working)... anyway, when you give the number, your information pops up (your name, previous orders, address (sometimes), etc...)

I'm pretty close to my manager, he's a father figure type and once I ordered this French book ("Baise Moi" or something like that)... turned out, that since I ordered the English translation, the title was translated as well... so there it was in English in huge letters on the cover... :eek: totally embarassing.

I don't speak French.... *Runs off to Google 'Baise Moi*

OH DEAR!! That can't have gone down very well! :D

Back