• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do women read more than men?

Hard to say..I have more time to read than my husband, but he loves to ready just as much. We were just at Borders Thursday evening, and I think I saw just about the same number of men as women.

Yes, they do. So the latest studies say. And not just in certain genres. Women are catching up to men in what used to be male dominated subjects like History and Political Science. Even manly-man writers like Wilbur Smith's audience is turning to women.

At least in the teenage realm, I think that girls read more than boys. I have yet to meet a guy (in real life, I know there's tons on here :)) who REALLY enjoys books. Maybe they get interested a little later in life. But, the book club at my school has 6 people out of 550 total students and it's all girls, so I really don't know :rolleyes:

I agree with Frodo - female teenagers definitely read more than male teenagers.

That's an interesting fact, ions - do you happen to know the percentages?

In being a parent of two boys and having taught for six years, I can't help but have the opinion that social engineering has a lot to do with the present state of literacy among boys. Boys are more "active" and would rather run in circles, as opposed to draw them. Boys are not inherently anti-reading, though boys possessing that attitude is achieved through forcing a boring curriculum down their throats, not to mention unfriendly teaching methods(i.e.-passive, rote learning, not having male elementary teachers, etc)There are some interesting changes that are being made curriculum wise to tackle the issue of boys and reading. From single-sex classrooms to a revamped reading list, changes are being made. I don't believe this is the answer entirely, as social class and education level are also important factors, but in seeing what kids read for middle school curriculum, I can't help but notice it's everything but boy friendly reading material interest wise. A "lack of engagement" was also cited as a factor, which goes to show further, that reading curriculums and the present teaching methodologies being used, are a part of the problem. Possible solutions listed here among others, can be found at the International Reader's Association website which has an interesting page dedicated to this topic.

I think that surely it must be close. But then take a walk around Waterstones and the amount of "chick Lit" crap is astounding. That must sell otherwise there would be so many books about wearing shoes and living in new york. But who reads it... certainly not me give me "the more masculine" politics and history over it any day!

Back