• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do You Believe in Previous or after Life?

I am not very familiar with Book and Reader forums; so sorry if I ask the wrong question.

Is there no monitoring for posts that are not related to the thread topic? Some of the last posts appears to be completely off the topic. Kindly don't take it personally. It is not directed at any individual. Thanks.

How can one of the world's fastest growing religions be off topic in a thread about the afterlife?

Hi Beer Good: Are you saying that Pastafarianism is one of the fastest growing religions? I read the paper and watch the news on tv each day and on this forum is the first time I've ever heard of it - so are you serious or are you messing with our minds? :D

Hi Beer Good: Are you saying that Pastafarianism is one of the fastest growing religions? I read the paper and watch the news on tv each day and on this forum is the first time I've ever heard of it - so are you serious or are you messing with our minds? :D

Pastafarianism could grow at an annualized rate of several hundred per cent over the next few days, that's pretty danged fast.

On a somewhat related topic: It is not required to check your sense of humor at the door upon entering BARF.

Pastafarianism could grow at an annualized rate of several hundred per cent over the next few days, that's pretty danged fast.

On a somewhat related topic: It is not required to check your sense of humor at the door upon entering BARF.

I don't think the original poster meant this subject to be humorous so I find it surprising when other posters find it that way. As for the barfing, back at ya Hugh!

I don't think the original poster meant this subject to be humorous so I find it surprising when other posters find it that way. As for the barfing, back at ya Hugh!

This is a forum about books and reading and although it's ok to discuss religious themes, this isn't a religious forum. That being said, people should expect all kinds of replies to their posts, even humourous ones. And as long as things are kept civil, there's no need for moderation. Everyone's intitled to their opinion right?

Oh and BARF stands for Book And Reader Forums.

I don't see anyone being disrespectful here. People were merely responding the original poster's:

People have strong opinions! But the opinion varies from person to person, from culture to culture, from nation to nation.. I am just curious what do you think about all these concepts of previous life, after life, carnation, reincarnation..?

Please share your views.

I am just curious what do you think about all these concepts of previous life, after life, carnation, reincarnation..?

I don't believe in any of it.

I must have done something really bad in a previous life and ended up being reincarnated as a human being who is damned to a lifetime of searching for his keys and wallet.
:lol:

May you be touched by his noodly appendage.

But as for the OP? No, I do not believe in an afterlife or a prelife. Yeah we can say that our "energy" continues to exists and if that gives you comfort then great. But that energy isn't "you". When your brain ceases to function, who you are, your consciousness, stops.

Can I PROVE that? No. But all evidence seems to point to that. Who you are, your mind, is a manifestation of your physical brain. When you do physical damage to your physical brain it changes the mind. When your physical brain is compromised by disease, it alters your mind, to the point of changing your very personality. Drugs directly affect the brain and result in your mind being altered.

So when you die, your brain will cease to function. When your brain ceases to function, your mind will cease to exist. Sure, the energy will leave your body in the form of heat or whatnot but that isn't "you".

There isn't enough evidence for me to believe either way. I'd like to think that there's something after this, but I don't really care to dwell on it. I'll know when I die. Just don't hurt people and you should be ok.

Anyone can have any opinion; and there is still flat earth society. This is the first time I have heard this term for the so called fastest growing religion. And I have to search before I can write books related to religion and spirituality. Thanks Momac. I agree with your very sensible comments.

If that's what you believe, good for you. ...

I respect your belief or anyone else's too. But that is not the answer. To understand we have to get down from the band wagon that physics and metaphysics or science and religion are like oil and water.

I have taken unusual position to believe that "Science, Religion & spirituality" can co-exist rather than believing that science and faith are like oil and water. They don't mix.

We are missing a lot by treating them like oil and water. World will be better place if we rethink, IMHO. I agree with what Einstein said.

"Religion without science is blind.
Science without religion is lame."

I disagree with all this talk about respecting beliefs though. I'll respect a person's RIGHT to believe what he or she wants but as for the belief itself? That is fair game. Belief should be challenged and even ridiculed. If the belief can stand up to that then it might be worth keeping. Otherwise the belief should be abandoned. A person's religious or philosophical beliefs should be open to criticism just as their political beliefs are.

So yes, i will respect someone's right to believe that there is a life after death. And I will fight to defend your right to say it out loud. But as for the belief itself? I think it is ridiculous to believe it. And you might think it is ridiculous that I believe that this is our one and only life. Wonderful. We have to stop tip toeing around beliefs and start challenging them.

At least that is what I believe. ;)

I believe these are part of the Community Guidelines here.
Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Flaming, trolling,excessive sarcasm, extreme belligerence, insults, gratuitous profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion and national origin are not acceptable. We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously!

Bolding is in the original.

Well this is a private board and it can have any rules it wants. Freedom of speech does not apply here, though I have no problem at all with the rules of this board. I think the rules it has are perfect for this environment. But I am talking about in society in general (in the US at least) where people do have the right to criticize religious or non-religious beliefs and they should exercise those rights. If you are wanting to be effective then ridicule is not usually the best route to take, though occasionally it is.

But that is getting OT.

The idea of no afterlife can certainly be disconcerting to many if not most people. It is difficult to imagine what oblivion is like. But for me I just think "well, I wasn't the least bit inconvenienced by my eternity of nonexistence before birth, and I have no reason to believe it will be any different after death".

Back