• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you buy, borrow or take out from the library?

Do you buy your books or borrow them from the library?

• Buy from the Bookstore

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Borrow from the Library

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Both

Votes: 31 42.5%

• Total voters
I try to avoid going to bookstores, because I have no impulse control when it comes to books, and I end up buying interesting-looking books but never reading them. In fact, I recently made a pledge that for the next two and a half years or so, for every new book I buy new I have to get rid of two, to discourage me from buying random stuff that I'll never read (and to free up some shelf space, because I have none).

For the past couple of weeks all my reading material has been coming from one of those online book-swapping sites, so that way I can get new-to-me-books that I can keep or send on, free up shelf space, and clear my conscience because I'm really not buying new books, I'm trading them. :D

I buy a lot of books, new and secondhand. You can't take two steps in my house without falling over books. I rarely borrow books.
What I hate is when people borrow from me and don’t return the book - just because I have thousands of books and they figure I can do without it, or when I lend them a pristine book and get it back all messed up.
Seriously, I lent two of my brand new Palaniuks to someone and got one of them back looking like it had been in a alley fight with a bunch of hobos...and lost. Now I'm waiting for the other one. I can't say anything because the person is a good friend, but sheesh, have a little respect with other people's stuff why dontcha...
Rant over.
Basically I buy, not borrow, and I'm a huge fusspot.

Maybe this thread should be called buy, borrow or steal.
The last option could help ease financial hardship amongst those of us who don't have a lot of money.

I go with "buy" and if the books are book, keep them or gift them to someone else. If it's a Stephen King book, then I send it to Eyezonme who is a HUGE King fan. The guy was pestering me forever and a day about Lisey's Story and how he thought it was a breakthrough novel for our times.;) :p :D

What... the... ****.

If you ever, ever think about sending this book, I will gouge my eyes out.

*recieves millions of copy* :rolleyes: ;) :D

:(

Maybe this thread should be called buy, borrow or steal.
The last option could help ease financial hardship amongst those of us who don't have a lot of money.

Stealing goes against 'The Code" and I think most of us here are above that. Besides, the thrill of the hunt, the lure of bargains is most of the fun. Bring on the UBS, garage sales, thrift shops, and library sales!

abecedarian, hi.

That "buy, borrow, steal" comment was a joke. I'm new here, I didn't mean to offend you.

Like I said in my previous post, I buy a lot of books. Second hand is the way to go for cheap books.

Have a good day. : )

pooh_bah

abecedarian, hi.

That "buy, borrow, steal" comment was a joke. I'm new here, I didn't mean to offend you.

Like I said in my previous post, I buy a lot of books. Second hand is the way to go for cheap books.

Have a good day. : )

pooh_bah

No worries! I'm not offended at all. There was a similar thread a long time ago, where someone did advocate something dishonest.. but I didn't really think you were seriously suggesting that;)

I borrow most of my books from the library. I seldom buy them.

I don't mind library books. Though it's nice to have a new, clean book once in a while, I let books make their own journey, and spread their pleasure to other people. :)

On the rare occasions that I buy, it is because I've test read the library book and would love to read it again and again. I wouldn't want to spend on a hardcover only to find out with regret later that I can't enjoy and complete it or regret after reading it once it'll be left ignored or worst, it'd stay unwrapped in its plastic.

I would also buy books when my instinct--which has not yet failed me :)--tells me that I would enjoy it.

Buy or Borrow?

My local library is rather lacking and, though I tried it originally, I've found it actually is a better investment for me to buy the books I read since late fees kept adding up to more than the cost of the book (I like to savor my reads). So, do you buy most of the books you read, borrow them from the library or a mixture of both?

I used to buy most of my books from charity shops but recently I have rediscovered the local library. using the library I find that I read books that I never would have if I had to buy them. Sometimes that works out well, sometimes not.

If I'm interested in reading a book, I tend to check libraries first, and then buy it if no libraries have it. There are exceptions where I'll just buy the book without checking libraries, though - if it's a favourite author, or if I'm stocking up on holiday reading, or if the library has only the hardcover of a very large book, I'll buy the paperback as it's easier to carry around.

I do both. Using the libray helps me be a better steward of our resources so I can avoid too many book buying mistakes.

I buy all my books, that way I am not rushed to finish reading by a certain date. I can also leave the book sit on my shelf for awhile until I get around to reading it. I do buy about 99% of my books at the used bookstores, so it really doesn't cost much. I can pick up anywhere between 3 and 6 books for the price of a new one.

Buy - can't stand the thought of a deadline over me. It isn't that I read slow, but I just don't like feeling bound to read something in a certain period of time. Plus, I like to reread, and it's good to have a book handy when I choose to do so.

I like to borrow from the library. I don't tend to reread books so once I'm done with a book it basically sits on my shelf. Also, I never know whether a book is going to be good, so I'm normally hesistant to buy books. Plus, they are really expensive nowadays.

I always buy my books. I hate having a deadline (I'm a slow reader :eek: ...) and I really, really, really hate to find writings on a book :mad: and this tends to happen a lot with books from the library. No chance of happening with new ones though...

Back