• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you keep books?

sme

is this important to you? do you display the books youve read for any reason. are they a trophy? a history?

I keep all my books. I like to re-read them from time to time. Old habit. The problem is that I have sooo many books that I have little space for other things. :eek:

AquaBlue said:
I keep all my books. I like to re-read them from time to time. Old habit. The problem is that I have sooo many books that I have little space for other things. :eek:

i also cant let a book go, i also couldnt dream of getting a book from a library. a book belongs to a person and it seems sometimes that you build a relationship in the time your spending together. the book is telling you something, entertaining you, i couldnt possibly thank it by getting rid of it when its finished.:)

I have a hard time getting rid of books too, but once in awhile I purge the shelves just to make room for more. Since we homeschool, I hang onto children's books that others would have trashed long ago, just because they might be useful.
I use the library a lot though, since there's no way we could buy every book I want to read..throw in my dh's reading choices and that of all the kids..we'd need 24/7 access to Donald Trump's credit card:D

abecedarian said:
I have a hard time getting rid of books too, but once in awhile I purge the shelves just to make room for more. Since we homeschool, I hang onto children's books that others would have trashed long ago, just because they might be useful.
I use the library a lot though, since there's no way we could buy every book I want to read..throw in my dh's reading choices and that of all the kids..we'd need 24/7 access to Donald Trump's credit card:D

hi..my son is 8 months old and is having some problems with his reading;), as soon as he gets a grip im sure ill be spending more time in a library.

sme said:
hi..my son is 8 months old and is having some problems with his reading;), as soon as he gets a grip im sure ill be spending more time in a library.

Hon, when he starts getting a grip, you'll be spending the next 18 years guarding your books like they're national treasures! The worst part is, at the same time you're protecting your collection, you'll be doing your dead-level best to encourage the little darling to love books, just like you do;) Have fun!

sme said:

Wow, you have a 8 month old son that reads? That's amazing! Someone better call Mensa!

Isabell said:
Wow, you have a 8 month old son that reads? That's amazing! Someone better call Mensa!

he doesnt read them, he thinks they are something to eat

I don't keep any books that I know I will not read again. If I liked them and know someone else may too, I give them away. If I did not like them I leave them at the library's free shelf. That being said though, my shelfs are too full, I keep many of my favorite books and I also buy a lot of TBR books, I buy much faster than I can read them so I'm stocked up for atleast the next 2 years I'd guess.

Ronny said:
I'm stocked up for atleast the next 2 years I'd guess.
Me too, I still worry about not having enough to read though! :rolleyes: I was thinking about it at work the other day, as soon as I got home I bidded on 4 more books on Ebay ;)

Lets put it like this, my TBR stack is more on the lines of to be read shelves, and shelves.....:eek: :D

Plus, not only do I never get rid of a book, neither did my mother, grandparents, etc. :rolleyes:

/sigh/ its a genetic thing.....:D

I used to keep all my books, but since there is only so much space in my flat I've started to chuck out books that I didn't like. Friends and family were of course happy, at least until their space started to diminish rapidly...:rolleyes:
So now I've joined bookcrossing! It is a fun way of giving away books!:D

Thursday_Next said:
I used to keep all my books, but since there is only so much space in my flat I've started to chuck out books that I didn't like. Friends and family were of course happy, at least until their space started to diminish rapidly...:rolleyes:
So now I've joined bookcrossing! It is a fun way of giving away books!:D

I have to pm someone at bookcrossing and get an address to send a book to Sweden this weekend..you aren't by any chance taking part in the Olympic Challenge are you? That would be too funny.

theoptimist said:
Me too, I still worry about not having enough to read though! :rolleyes:

^^^^

ditto

My books are thrown into the back of wardrobes or cupboards

sme said:
is this important to you? do you display the books youve read for any reason. are they a trophy? a history?

Not for any particular reason other than being able to browse through them again should I want to dobule-check things.

I only keep books that I think I'll want to read again.
I try to borrow from the library first, decide if I like it, and then purchase, but it rarely actually works that way.

I used to keep everything I had read, but now I am more selective. I keep mostly reference books and books I am more likely to read again. This is still quite a few books!

Back