• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you know your geography?

You're gonna have to explain that one...don't tell me there's a town in Kansas of that name? I already know what a weird State it is...:D

You're gonna have to explain that one...don't tell me there's a town in Kansas of that name? I already know what a weird State it is...:D

Not here, but I think there's one in Tennessee or Kentucky...or is it Texas? They all sound the same...:p What do I know..I live in a state where natives cannot pronounce Arkansas correctly..at least when it comes to the river and the city. Only here is that pronounced R-KANSAS...And don't get me started on how we pronounce Eldorado..or how we weed out the 'furriners' who can't say "Salina" correctly:D

I know how to use a globe. I can read a map.

In fact my job depends on my ability to read maps.

I know where all the states are ... I've been to 47 of the 50. I've also traveled to Canada, Mexico, and Ireland. Drove in all three of the countries and did NOT get lost.

Why do people find geography so difficult??

I was trying to explain how simple the interstate system is to a teenager and I could not believe the glazed over look on her face.

I actually had a college student tell me that she couldn't understand why Hawaii is so hot and Alaska is so cold when they are right next to each other on the wall maps.

I pray she was joking.

Oh no, not ANOTHER one...

With apologies to all intelligent Americans (and I know there are lots of them)...is it any wonder that the world thinks Americans are dumb?

Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London. The NFL player might want to check a map before he gets on board a plane for Sunday's prestige game against the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium. Crowder, who comes from Atlanta in Georgia, may be praised on the field, but confessed geography was not his strong point. He admitted he did not know until now where London was - or that Londoners spoke English. "I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries," he said. "I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that." Crowder added: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. "That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

(Sky News)

I had to laugh though - if you do not know modern London you could actually be forgiven for thinking English is not spoken there. The last time I travelled across London I felt like a stranger in my own land. And his comment about his team mate being black "...so I'm sure he's not from London..." - hilarious!

Back