• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you play a musical instrument?

I learned to play the piano when I was in my 20s when I practiced relentlessly for about 3 years straight. I could play almost any music placed in front of me (not well, but not terrible).

Then...

I got interested in jazz and my piano playing confidence went to hell. I wanted to improvise but sadly, I couldn't. No talent.

Then...

I lost interest in piano altogether because of this self-realization about my limits.

I don't play the piano anymore. No desire. Too many painful memories of my failure at improvisation.

I wanted to improvise but sadly, I couldn't. No talent.

Then...

I lost interest in piano altogether because of this self-realization about my limits.

I don't play the piano anymore. No desire. Too many painful memories of my failure at improvisation.

I never could jazz improvise much either, mostly on an extremely simple level and it was more blues piano anyway. But then I didn't try very hard to improve, I just keep going back to playing the master composers I love so much. I love the sound and action of the piano and will always play. I guess because I got 'technically' trained and started reading music at an early age, it's too hard for me to just jam or play solely by ear.

Did you ever try ragtime? Lots of sheet music for it out there and sounds improvised sometimes.

I don't have that kind of talent. My son has studied guitar

for five years. He has an electric and an accoustic. Now he wants a bass:rolleyes:

I can play piano. I haven't played in a long time, but was trained for about 13 years. I had quit taking lessons on high school when my dad lost his job. I continued to teach myself through college, but then life just got in the way. My parents are going to give me the piano, so I hope to get back into it. I loved to play - it was always my little world that I could escape into.

I tried to play Jazz but like some of you, I couldn't get the hang of improvising. I mostly liked to play Broadway stuff, but would learn classical tunes as well.

I learned to play descant recorder in primary school, then I gave the guitar a try which wasn't really my instrument.

Years later I bought an alto recorder and taught myself how to play. It's not concert level, but it suffices for enjoying a bit of music at home.

My man plays piano and church organ ... wonderful instruments. I haven't given up hope yet that I'll learn at least one of them some day.

i started playing guitar when i was 12, then i got into high school and just picked up the bass and then tried the drums. i can also play a bamboo flute :p and recently i bought a violin - im still working on that.

I played the clarinet in 5th grade, alto sax in 6th and 7th, bari sax in 8th, now i dread playing the bari because I don't have the lungs to play the low notes.

But I've been learning guitar for about a year now, and I'm satisfied, my next instrument will be Piano or violin.

And I will hopefully soon be switching to tenor sax because i love the sound :)

I started playing piano a little more than a year ago and I love it!

I never had a piano when growing up and my parents aren’t very musical. Two years ago my aunt gave me her old piano that has been passed down in the family. I have recently moved out of my parent’s house and had to buy a digital piano just so I can keep up with my practise.

I actually do play the Ocarina, it is a real instrument. And while it is my lifelong dream of playing the pipe organ, it is doubtful that will ever come to pass.

Back