• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you take book notes?

Very rarely. :eek: Often I don't want to stop the flow of my reading. However, if something unusual catches my eye, I go to my computer and Google it to see if I can find more about it.

Do you take notes when you read a book? It can record anything, in any format.

I usually write down my process of the book I am reading in my diary. And I write down the sentences I like in a small pocket notebook with the book titles and chapter numbers. Every time I look back into the notes, it will revive my memory about the writing style of the author and the thoughts I had while I was reading that book.

When I finish a good book, I always feel I am a child who is forced to leave the amusement park in the most fun time. “Oh, no! I can’t believe it’s already the end of the story……I still want to read more.” However, taking these notes help me refresh the pleasure I had from these books.

So this is my way and my motivation to keep book notes, how about yours?:rolleyes:
Yeah, I only do that to the books I like, and I especially fond of looking for mistakes the author made, I mean the translators made, sometimes the translator is not familiar with a certain culture, take The Kite Runner for example, there are several cultural mistakes in the Chinese edition...haha
But I could find lot more if I am smarter!:D

Yeah, I only do that to the books I like, and I especially fond of looking for mistakes the author made, I mean the translators made, sometimes the translator is not familiar with a certain culture, take The Kite Runner for example, there are several cultural mistakes in the Chinese edition...hahaBut I could find lot more if I am smarter!:D

Hi, hymartin. Welcome to the forum!
I've read part of "The Kite Runner" in Chinese version and I read all of it in English version, too. But I didn't find the mistakes the translator made. Because I didn't read the two versions together...or maybe I am not smart enough ----:p

Anyway, it is quit an interesting thing to read a book in two different languages. But the English version that the book is originally written is always better than the translated one. I've never read a book that is originally written in Chinese in English version. I'd like to read one.

By the way, my native language is Chinese, too

You're from Taiwan, good to see ya:)
Thank you! I read the Chinese version Kite Runner, couldn't find an English one, I mean mistakes the Chinese translater made, not the author himself, just my humble opinion...Man, I am a science student,lol
Me neither, esp. those old masterpieces! Most of them have English versions now...
Noticed your top book there is the Kite Runner, haha, am planning to read that book again and write down the words that are confusing me and those "mistakes" as I mentioned, haha!

I usually read with a pencil in my hand, I ve had this habit since I had to read books for my exams. Now, even if I don't read that book for an exam, but just for fun, I still have a pencil in my hand and mark the passages I like,so after I finish it I write down sentences i liked but I don't forget to use an eraser, to erase the markings if the book isn't mine.:)
So I have a notebook in which I write paragraphs from books and when I come back to that notebook, it's like reading my diary, it really reflects the thoughts and feelings I had then, it's very personal I think.
And it's a pity to forget things you liked in a book.I can at least write down the titles of the books I read.

I've noticed that I've been more inclined to use pencils in outlining my book or writing notes in the side area rather than pen. I don't do a lot of erasing, perhaps it's knowing that I can erase if I wanted to if I erred in making a note......:eek:

i certainly like to. i feel that i'm getting more out of the book that way. i filled The Fountainhead and Anthem with notes, and Vonnegut's Cats Cradle. sometimes i write little notes in library books - pencil of course =P

I used to pen up all my books, but then stopped, because I also like to pass books on, and I am sef-conscious about my notes. Maybe I will start a small journal. I hate when I am trying to find a quote or thought, and I have to reread everything to find it.

mostly w/ non-fiction, on a separate sheet of paper as i am SUPER picky with my books lol...i loved taking note in The History of Middle-earth series, but for the main i have a little book journal, that has sections for favorite quotes, recent reads, wish list, etc. i carry it everywhere. also i journal a lot, and keep note of what im reading, how far, and all that. :)

Not for ficition, but non-ficition I usuall underline and put arrows here and there. Sometimes, if there are interesting sentences or ideas I'd like to keep, I would note them in a special notebook.

Gosh, how virtuous. Unless I am writing a paper or article, no I don't. I feel rather ashamed... :p

Augh! I spill much ink while reading. A 200 page book usually ends up as 5-6 pages of notes, thoughts, and summary. I also write an Amazon review for every book I read, more so I can go back and revisit my thoughts on a book. Keeps the text fresh.

Augh! I spill much ink while reading. A 200 page book usually ends up as 5-6 pages of notes, thoughts, and summary. I also write an Amazon review for every book I read, more so I can go back and revisit my thoughts on a book. Keeps the text fresh.

That's a very good idea, making the best out of your readings. I used to write a small summary of my thoughts when I finish a book, but then I stopped.

Wow, Ed Womack. That's a lot of work for a book! That must take you a lot of time?

As for me, I would mark the pages with beautiful descriptions and interesting ideas to avoid disrupting my reading. I'd jot them down in my diary once I finish reading. But sometimes I don't have the time because they are due to be returned and I have many more not-yet-overdue books waiting for me!

I have been wanting to write my thoughts on those selected ideas but never got around to do it.

Dude. You rock.

early i took notes of best quotes. i wtote them down in copybook. but then i thought that it is disturbed me from reading. also i was trying to wrote reviews on books, but bacause of my lazyness i couldn't do it.
now i think that i'll start to take notes again.
by the way, good topic, Dayspring

I often use little post-it notes with short comments to mark places of interest, so I can write an overall impression of the book, later on, in a journal.

Good question.

Only if the author is Russian. With a formal, informal, and nickname for twelve characters, it can get quite interesting.
That's so true. I never thought of it like that, but Russian writers are tough at times. I remember reading the Cherry Orchard, even as an adult and thinking "who is this again?"

I've started summarising each book I read, as I go along. It helps me remember them, as I find I have a pretty bad memory, and tend to forget plot points (sometimes major!). :)

Back