1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you take book notes?

Discussion in 'General Book Discussion' started by Dayspring, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Enya

Enya New Member

Currently Reading:
    Elizabeth Gilbert- Eat, pray, love
    When I read a book I usually hold a pencil in my hand, it's a habit I got from university when I always took notes for exams. Now I usually mark and take notes of passages that I like for different reasons-images, ideas, humour.When I read a book for my studies I always take notes.

2. Ronny

Ronny Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
    I often take notes on books I read for my book club, we only meet once a month and I may finish the book weeks before the discussion so it's always good to have record of the main points I want to talk about. Some books stick with me very well and I have no trouble recalling the details but others seem to be gone as soon as I'm done with the book.

3. Leeny

Leeny New Member

When I'm reading for pleasure I never take notes. When I'm reading for education, I usually do take notes on a lined sheet of paper. They're never very detailed though.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Currently Reading:
    The Odyssey by Homer
    I almost always take notes. I like to write names and key events on a piece of paper along with the page number in case I feel the need to go back and read something again.

5. Libra

Libra New Member

Currently Reading:
    Seth Grahame-Smith: Pride and Prejudice and Zombie
    I take notes for the BOM discussions or a good quote or passage from a book.

6. joderu95

joderu95 New Member

I usually don't with fiction, but with the non-fiction I read I use asterisks on the margins and maybe a few words to remember an idea.

7. BeerWench13

BeerWench13 Active Member

Currently Reading:
    A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin
    I have a photographic memory. I have no real need to make notes. The only time I will make a note is to jot down a quote that strikes me. Even that is rare because I can usually remember almost exactly where it was in the book that I read the quote.

8. bookworm fellow

bookworm fellow Member

Currently Reading:
    Lord of the Rings series
    You're a lucky girl.

I don't take notes when I'm reading fiction.

But things are a lot different when I'm dealing with academic/legal material. I must take many notes because I can't memorize everything. It's so much stuff to memorize. There are points I learn, so I don't have to take notes of. But there is also a lot of keywords, laws, different trends and its mainstreams that requires notes, if I want to remember all of it later.

9. SFG75

SFG75 Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    The Road to Character; David Brooks
    I hear you, especially if the non-fiction book is jam packed with statistics and other things.

10. Sliver Slave

Sliver Slave New Member

Currently Reading:
    Last And First Men
    I sometimes thought of writing notes in the margins, but i could never bring myself to do it.

11. angerball

angerball Active Member

Currently Reading:
    The Famous Five series - Enid Blyton
    I make notes, not in the book but on a Word doc. I have a pretty lousy memory, so it helps me with vital bits. :whistling:

12. Sliver Slave

Sliver Slave New Member

Currently Reading:
    Last And First Men
    I remember my father had annotated bits of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy that were particularly funny, such as "teaching a child to become a fish" and "fruitage".

13. UncleReader

UncleReader New Member

I tend to scratch notes all over the books I read--agreements, arguments, praise, criticism, etc.

14. Aaron

Aaron New Member

I never take character/setting/theme notes, I usually highlight things that entertained/saddened me just to reread it later on. Taking a lot of notes would make reading more of a job than an enjoyment in my opinion, but hey whatever works.

15. savvyambrose

savvyambrose New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
    Same here. My books get wickedly messy.

16. mandy99

mandy99 New Member

No notes while reading for enjoyment. To me that would mean the story is not captivating and I minus well put it down.

17. Chicago

Chicago New Member

Currently Reading:
    Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
    Annotations?

Hello all, I was just wondering how many of you make annotations of any sort while you read. Personally, I don't, although I often give it thought because I feel it will help me understand the book further. Thoughts?

18. Fantasy Moon

Fantasy Moon kickbox

I usually don't make annotations as a rule, but with some of my older, falling apart books I have penciled in the margins. I started doing that with Uncle Tom's Cabin because I wanted to make note of certain passages with commentary and now I can flip through and find them quickly due to the pencil marks.

19. ~Anne~

~Anne~ New Member

I never write in my books. I just can't. But I do lay things into my books...pictures, notes, articles that relate to them.