• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Does movie hype ever deliver?

Violanthe

We've all seen it: Big budget films get hyped endlessly (speculative fiction films often among them) but end up being a disappointment, then a small independent film with little advertising budget gets a devoted critical and cult following by word of mouth. Is hype somehow proportional to the quality of the film? Do bad films get hyped more because they aren't so good? Or are good films simply a rare gem in every category (big budget, or independent)? Can hype ever spoil a film?

I think both have the potential to bomb, it's just that with a "big" movie everyone knows lol

seriously, big movies can be a let down bcuz people expect too much, I think if more people just enjoyed the movies without too much of an expecation then more movies would be enjoyed more...

ok that was a rant...don't mind me lol :p

CDA said:
If a film is hyped I won't go to see it, whatever it is. Puts me right off.

really? I never pay much attention to hype so it doessn't matter to me, I usually go if I like the actors or the plot

what others thought about it doesn't really affect or for the most part interest me :)

technokitty said:
really? I never pay much attention to hype so it doessn't matter to me, I usually go if I like the actors or the plot

what others thought about it doesn't really affect or for the most part interest me :)

Just makes me sick of the film, whatever it is. Usually when this happens I'll wait for it to come out on DVD and see it years later when the hype's all over and done with, and not so recent in my mind.

I see trailers for the big budget films at every commercial break and I just get sick of seeing them. I usually don't go in expecting too much from movies, and that is the only way I could have ever enjoyed the Yu-Gi-Oh movie. However, I allowed myself to lose this wonderful trait going to see Corpse Bride.

I guess since I don't watch a lot of tv I don't really see that much of the hype, but I am soooo addicted to trailers! I like to go on Quictime trailers and Quictime Japan, plus a few other international sites to see the trailers

ya I'm stupid I know lol :p

I will watch a film purely because i want to watch it!

Not because its been hyped up!

And i have found in the past a hyped up film is usually rubbish!

My example of this is Amityville horror which i was so glad i didnt pay out and go see at the pictures!

I don't pay any attention to so-called reviews. Unless of course, it's described as "courageous" or even......"controversial." Then I can't help myself and I just HAVE to watch the movie or obtain the item being peddled.:p :p :D

two films come to mind, one hyped and one not hyped and both very good.

Hyped - Saving Private Ryan.

Non-hyped - Chocolat

I don't pay too much attention to hype either. If the story sounds good, I'm interested. My dh and I have found that if the local newspaper critic hates a film, we'll love it! If he loves it, we skip it or wait to rent the dvd.

Yes, movies need to be interesting for me to want to go see them too! A friend claims that I only wanted to go see Red Eye because Cillian Murphy was in it. I would've watched it when it came out on DVD probably to see him, but the plot of the story sounded good to me and I wanted to watch it in theaters. With ticket prices slowly rising and it's a bit of a drive to get to the nearest theater, I don't go as often as I used to so I am more selective in what movies I will go see right away as opposed to waiting for a DVD release.

A non-hyped movie that you will either love or hate is "The Straight Story" starring the late Richard Farnsworth. For the record, I loved the movie.

I'm another who doesn't pay much attention to hype. I'll go to a movie if I like the idea of it, or if I've read the book, but otherwise I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD. Going to the movies is just too expensive nowdays.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I'm another who doesn't pay much attention to hype. I'll go to a movie if I like the idea of it, or if I've read the book, but otherwise I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD. Going to the movies is just too expensive nowdays.

Cinema is just too much hassle as well as too expensive. And they never show films at convenient times. And there's always some dill making a noise stuffing his or her face with crap. I can't remember the last time I went, no I think of it.

CDA said:
Cinema is just too much hassle as well as too expensive. And they never show films at convenient times. And there's always some dill making a noise stuffing his or her face with crap. I can't remember the last time I went, no I think of it.

:D Try being in cowboy land, where some goat-roper thinks he's too macho to take off his stetson in a theatre. (Real cowboys have better manners). Then there's spoiled people like me, who keep reaching for the remote so I can schedule my own intermission..:rolleyes:

hype definatly spoils a movie. i think so far all of the movies that i've fallen in love with were movies that i came across randomly so i knew nothing about them. therefore no hype to give anything away or disallusion it.

Back