• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Does spelling still count?

namedujour said:
IThat's another issue: The lack of discernment among readers. They generally seem to overlook anything. So I go looking at the one-star reviews first. If they seem written more intelligently than the five-star reviews and bring up grammar issues, I take them into account.

Otherwise, if the one-star reviews are misspelled and so forth, I completely ignore them. I consider the source.

That seems to be a common problem with all websites where readers can write reviews. It seems like on a scale from one to ten most people can only manage to rate a book/movie/whatever as a 10 or a 1. Just look at the reviews on this site as a example.

I agree. The ATM machine and NT technology thing drives me up the wall. Yet, I still catch myself doing it occasionally. Monkey hear; monkey say.

I wonder if I'm missing the joke. Are you guys being sarcastic? What's wrong with ATM, PIN, TV, phone, car, gas...

If these abbreviations are almost internationally know shortcuts to longer words what's wrong with using them?

Conservation of time and energy yet you still are able to communicate in an easy and understandable fashion.

Why should I have to write or say:

I got money from the automated teller machine so I could put gasoline in my automobile?

What's wrong with:

I got cash from the ATM so could put gas in my car.

I think they are talking about saying stuff like ATM machine.. The abbreviation ATM already has the word machine, thereby making it stupid to say ATM machine, it should just be ATM.

This is my hobbyhorse!! It drives me up the wall when people misspell words, don't punctuate correctly, etc. I know that lots of people don't bother to proofread when they send casual emails (even I am sometimes guilty of hitting the wrong keys and forget to check before I hit Send) I've irritated some people by asking why they don't bother to use their spell checks-I suspect they don't know how to find it or use it. But on the other hand I know friends by the words they tend to misspell the most.

What about capitalising words when it is obvious that they don't need capitalised? Nouns, for example, may be capitalised in German but they most certainly are not in English with the exception of names - for people, places, days, and months.

I hate reading sites, books, pamphlets, etc. where it may read something like a few examples of this phenomenon can be found in Magazines, Books, and Posters. This practice of capitalising died out about 350 years ago.

You would actually want them to write out 'Automated Teller Machine' (or whatever the heck it actually stands for, I'm too lazy to go look it up) - rather than just simply writing ATM?? Why? You know what it means, they know what it means, is there any reason to waste precious time by writing everything out in the fullest English possible??

Now, dont get me wrong, I'm all for good spelling and punctuation, but I think it can also be taken to excess. The one thing that really gets my goat is l33t speak, or whatever the heck those pesky youngens speak these days :)

Phil

You would actually want them to write out 'Automated Teller Machine'
Dude, pay attention. :p

They're talking about the fact that many people refer to such a machine as an 'ATM machine', which essentially means 'Automated Teller Machine Machine'. Two 'machines'.

Geddit? (Sorry, I mean 'Get it?').

Cheers

Goddit!

I think that acronyms like ATM are readily understandable, while some acronyms confound me. Perhaps because I'm not into the chat room lingo.

Hmm... I've been meditating on this for a while now, and I've realized that:
1. People who spell wrongly don't really bother me.
2. People who don't use punctuation don't really bother me either. Unless it makes the sentence unintelligible.
3. People who don't capitalize don't bother me as well.
4. All the above only applies to correspondence stuff (email, forum messages, even snail mail letters, though I've only ever snail-mailed with people who could spell decently). I would be bothered if I encountered any of this in print, or online publications.
5. I suppose I'm a little bothered with ATM machine and NT Technology.

ds

Back