• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

dogme95

I've only seen three..Festen, Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark.
I loved the idea of Dogme, if only because film is such a great medium but has become so overtaken by making money and bums on seats, and its rare that innovation reaches the mainstream.
Festen was an extraordinary experience for me..I can't remember the last time I felt so uncomfortable and actually shocked during a film, not by thunderous SFX but just by the unfolding of a story.

Dancer in the Dark is harrowing, Bjork is a revelation.

I really loved Breaking the Waves but oddly it brings back funny memories, not really relevant here but at the time I was front of house manager at a cinema it was showing in, and over the time we were playing it, several people became ill with what I could only describe as sea sickness from the movement of the hand held camera. Annoying as they all tried to blame it on the food they had just eaten on our premises. Not true! In cinema circles it became a well known phenomenon.

This is so great and so strange at the same time! To see just how famous Danish filmmakers are and that Lars even got his own forum. :D
I know we have made many good film for some time now but its strange to listen to how famous people have become. Remember we are a very small country with only 5 million people, so we more or less all know each other or know somebody who knows somebody.
Like I mentioned I have talked with one of the actors who is in Mifune, I have been to the same class at university with one of the "dogme sisters" and a friend of mine used to live together with Lars von Trier. Small world.

Thomas Vinterberg has made a film about love. The film got mixed reviews. Sean Penn got a small role in the film. I liked the film very much. Havent seen his latest film, only know it got great reviews at the american Sundance Film Festival.

I am a bit amased that Riget 1 + 2 has been seen outside Denmark. It was a telly program/serie over here. Everbody watched it and talked about it. Some hated his lefthand camera holding, others loved it. I am used to it now, and think it gives you a feeling of intimacy. Not sexual but like it was a film produced by one in your family. Hope you get what I mean. I have seen that an american police serie is using the same thing. The serie is called New York blues, I think.

Flower

So, Dogville, which I'm taping right now, also, is also a Dogme film? Isn't Nicole Kidman way too high-profile for a Dogme film?

Martin said:
So, Dogville, which I'm taping right now, also, is also a Dogme film? Isn't Nicole Kidman way too high-profile for a Dogme film?
No, no, no, Martin, it's not a dogme film. (let me quote myself: list) Lars von Trier did sign the vow of chastity though.

Dogme95 was a project 4 men made in Denmark about how to make films more interesting and in order to challenge themselves. They set up different kind of rules for a film to be called Dogme film. They are known as the dogme brothers now. Lars von Trier, Thomas Vinterberg, Søren Kragh-Jacobsen, Kristian Levring.

The film you are taping, Dogville, is another project Lars von Trier has made. He wanted to make 3 films and Dogville is the first in the serie. I am not sure if he is going to finish this project and make all 3 films.

Hope this make things a little more understanding for you.

Flower

That about sums up what I knew, yes.

I also know that the second film in the trilogy is Manderly, which is (or will be) released this year, and the third film (Wasington?) will be released in 2007. All three are called the USA - Land of Opportunities-trilogy.

I must say, I haven't looked for it. Not even too sure if I'll like Dogville, with its offbeat approach to filmmaking.

Allright then!
I havent seen Dogville or Manderly. I got a bit tired of his film along the way. I think I needed a little break.
Flower

Could very well be - I seem to remember Wikipedia saying '07, but it's been a while since I read it.

Back