• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Don't go to Prague!

I went to Prague in 2004. Horrible place. Not a real Czech around.

I went there in 1993 but only for a day trip (I was staying in Germany at the time) and I really liked it. Very atmospheric, with museums, winding streets and little arcades with cafes, street musicians & dancers and art stalls. I've always thought that I'd like to go back but it seems to have been taken over by the stag/hen weekenders and I have this fear that it's been turned into a typical British high street on a Friday night.

I just could not walk a few metres along the road without some thug asking if I wanted to convert money illegally or somebody asking whether I wanted oral sex. That was in the afternoon. At night, it was constantly "you want to see girls?" or "you want cocaine?" from people who grab your arm and try not to let go and repeat the mantra: youwantgirlsyouwantgirlsyouwantgirls. It's a city full of whores and tourists.

If all you do is wander aimlessly round Praha 1&2 then that may be your experience. Get out from the centre and you find the real Prague.

Iv been to Prague and thought it was quite nice. We were only there for 3 days but managed to fit a lot in. I was offered drugs every time i walked out the hotel too. Though the guys walk by you and said 'hash' really quickly that i had no idea what they were selling. I thought they were saying hello to me.....! Nice people in Prague lol.

If all you do is wander aimlessly round Praha 1&2 then that may be your experience. Get out from the centre and you find the real Prague.

I ended up in a nightclub (called Mecca) in some rundown area in Praha 7. It was about four in the morning when we left, the streets were empty, and couldn't find a bloody taxi anywhere. Was weird, being pissed and walking through strange subways and playparks trying to find our way back to the heart of the city.

I would have liked to see more but my friend was a boring fart, which surprised me when we got there, given that I've known him for over twenty years. He didn't even want to see the castle by giving the reasoning that "I've seen a castle before." If I ever get my ass over to Tallinn I know who I won't be going with. But I'm looking to go to Bulgaria at some point this year.

I ended up in a nightclub (called Mecca) in some rundown area in Praha 7. It was about four in the morning when we left, the streets were empty, and couldn't find a bloody taxi anywhere. Was weird, being pissed and walking through strange subways and playparks trying to find our way back to the heart of the city.

I would have liked to see more but my friend was a boring fart, which surprised me when we got there, given that I've known him for over twenty years. He didn't even want to see the castle by giving the reasoning that "I've seen a castle before." If I ever get my ass over to Tallinn I know who I won't be going with. But I'm looking to go to Bulgaria at some point this year.

Take lots of pictures, please! Some of us feel fortunate if we get as far away as Newton, Ks:(

I went to Prague in 2004. Horrible place. Not a real Czech around.
I'll be going there at the end of this year to visit my pen pal - to a town called Susice, not Prague. Hopefully I'll have a better experience with a native guide to help me.

You paint an interesting picture of Prague, Stewart. I've read about it and it's kind of interesting hearing it told from someone who's been there.

Back