• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Dumbledore Is Gay" says Rowling

Motokid

click me for source

NEW YORK - Harry Potter fans, the rumors are true: Albus Dumbledore, master wizard and Headmaster of Hogwarts, is gay. J.K. Rowling, author of the mega-selling fantasy series that ended last summer, outed the beloved character Friday night while appearing before a full house at Carnegie Hall.

Why? What does that change from the perspective of the reader? What about the from the perspective of the children?

Is this just a publicity stunt?

Was this necessary for Rowling to "admit"?

What's the point?

How do you think fans and parents will react?

:D

As someone who has recently finished reading all the books, it doesn't really change anything for me. Dumbledore's sexuality isn't particularly relevant to the storyline.

His own realisation that he couldn't be trusted with power is more relevant

I think it's a total cop-out for her to do this after the books were finished. If she wanted to out Dumbledore and make it a cry for tolerance she should have included it in the book. It could have easily been part of Rita Skeeter's book.

I think Rowling was afraid of how people would react, so she waited until it was all said and done to reveal it.

Why? What does that change from the perspective of the reader? What about the from the perspective of the children?
I found it odd that she left it until now to mention, it obviously wasn't meant to be a part of the plot else it should have been implied or stated within the books. Like Darren mentioned, it really isn't relevant to the storyline.

I was suprised however that it made the front page of CNN's news (our default home page on this PC).

I thought it an inappropriate answer to the question. Whatever Dumbledore's sexual orientation, it never entered the storyline whatsoever, and to toss it out now, in answer to a simple 'yes' or 'no' question about the whether the character ever found happiness in love, was odd and out of place. Sounds like she either made it up on the spot, or is just making sure her name is in the press a while longer.

IT is all BS Harry Potter was thrust back into the spot light... and I think that it is nothing but that a stunt to keep her name in the news....

I thought it an inappropriate answer to the question. Whatever Dumbledore's sexual orientation, it never entered the storyline whatsoever, and to toss it out now, in answer to a simple 'yes' or 'no' question about the whether the character ever found happiness in love, was odd and out of place. Sounds like she either made it up on the spot, or is just making sure her name is in the press a while longer.

You know that was my thought. What was the point. :confused: The story had been completed. We all were moving on. I think this was a poor move on Rowlings part.

When she "revealed" it, she also made some scathing comments about how some "Christians" have attacked her books for promoting witchcraft and said (reportedly) something about this giving them something else to use to attack her. I don't think it's just a publicity stunt. I think Ms Rowling has a chip on her shoulder the size of a plank, and/or (bizarrely for someone who has been so successful with her writing) has a serious problem with any sort of criticism. This is her way of hitting back and saying "stuff you". Sad; more so for someone who is clearly such a unique and wonderful storyteller even if (some would say) she may not be the greatest writer in the world.

When she "revealed" it, she also made some scathing comments about how some "Christians" have attacked her books for promoting witchcraft and said (reportedly) something about this giving them something else to use to attack her. I don't think it's just a publicity stunt. I think Ms Rowling has a chip on her shoulder the size of a plank, and/or (bizarrely for someone who has been so successful with her writing) has a serious problem with any sort of criticism. This is her way of hitting back and saying "stuff you". Sad; more so for someone who is clearly such a unique and wonderful storyteller even if (some would say) she may not be the greatest writer in the world.

Well, plenty of Christians backed her up. We not only bought her books, but told our Christian friends why we allowed our children to read them. So, if she's lashing out at the Christian community, she's biting a finger off the hand that feeds her.

All this does is give the fanfic folks something to write about.

Oh, believe me, they were doing that LONG before Rowling gave them right.

Personally, I'm just wondering if people would have reacted as strongly if she'd "revealed" that he was perfectly straight (as I understand it, it hasn't really mattered one way or the other in the books?). Sadly, I don't think they would have.

And a lot of "Christians" have criticized her books for promoting witchcraft, have they not?

What about the sacredness of text? Can authors create things outside of the books they've written without writing new books? I mean, without direct textual evidence in the previous seven books (none of which I've read, so feel free to discard my opinions :eek: ) can he really be gay just because Rowling says so? Doesn't she need Harry Potter 8 to do that?

Personally, I'm just wondering if people would have reacted as strongly if she'd "revealed" that he was perfectly straight (as I understand it, it hasn't really mattered one way or the other in the books?). Sadly, I don't think they would have.

I don't think they would have either. If she had said he was straight people wouldn't be asking if the reveal was necessary at all.

Gee, and at the next interview, Rowling's going to state that Snape was a bi, and was jealous of Harry and Dumbledore's friendship, because Snape and Dumbledore had something going on?!? :mad:

That is so sad to state some b.s. like that after the book is done with!

The question you should ask yourself is why is it important for you if she says Dumbledore is gay or not? Are you surprised/shocked that gay people exist? It should not even be seen as newsworthy.

The question you should ask yourself is why is it important for you if she says Dumbledore is gay or not? Are you surprised/shocked that gay people exist? It should not even be seen as newsworthy.

Whatever she chooses to say at this point..in my mind, and that of my kids..Dumbledore is not gay...or even overtly hetrosexual. If she meant to portray him as a gay man, she did a poor job. He did not come across that way to us. In fact, we did not need to worry about his sexuality at all. What we were drawn to was the strength of character within his soul. She can say what she wants now..for us, we've already fixed this character in our minds the way we see him. Right or wrong.

Back