• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dune

Morry

Dune and Stargate sequels

"I love and I hate
and I do not know why."
Catullus

At last the Dune TV sequel has been released in the US, cannot wait for its appearance on British TV. Migt be good as we do not have Richard Dean Anderson for Leto II, Paul or stilgar. :D
Would have dreamt of James Spader for Duncan Idaho, which is not the case sadly.

Morry :)

On Friday night, I happened to watch this movie. Just remembered some lines which were interesting to note:

such as:

"some thoughts have sound which is equivelent to certain forms..."

"do not fear, because fear is the mind killer..."

"you have changed my consciousness..."

Anyone who is interested in this topic, would you like to share something?

:)

I think, it is always about controlling thoughts that kinda stuff.

there is a detail in the movie, which is about this guy is asked to put one of his hand in a box, and he must fight back by using his consciousness that keeps telling him not listen to that voice (a thought). Sorry, cannot describe it more clearly.

when body is being tortured, so is the mind? Or can mind free from it?

so many things are rushing into me now. will edit this later.

watercrystal said:
On Friday night, I happened to watch this movie. Just remembered some lines which were interesting to note:

such as:

"some thoughts have sound which is equivelent to certain forms..."

Yes, this is great and, I too, really liked it. The metaphor that words have great and real power. Here in Dune it's shown where they have LITERAL power to destroy. Notice that the name of the "chosen one" is the most powerful of words? Just as the name of Jesus or any leader has great power in the real word.

"do not fear, because fear is the mind killer..."

Liked this too :)

In the movie they changed 'The Weirding Way' to that strange way of fighting people with sound-I love the part where that guy says Muad'dib and it echoes over and over again. In the book though the Weirding Way was a style of fighting particular to the Bene Gesserits. I thought it worked well enough in the film the way they changed it.

They sort of muddled up the Voice with the fighting. There is a power in Voice in the books where you can use your voice to control the actions of another.

There's another adaptation of Dune that's a lot closer to the books. It's a mini series rather than a film. Not sure who made it, it's either the Sci Fi channel or Hallmark (the original Dune series was shown on the UK Sci Fi channel, but Hallmark showed Children of Dune). Anyhoo, if you're interested in the story, but not yet ready to attempt the books, which can be more than a little confusing, it might be worth seeing if you can get hold of a copy.

Some of the acting is a bit duff. The guy playing Gurney Halleck needs boiling in oil. But it's still very entertaining and engaging. It's a Litany two sporks up.

I agree, the mini-series was much better than the older movie, as much as I hate to say that about any Patrick Stewart film. I haven't read any of the books yet myself (but it's on my list of books to get to sometime before I die), but thanks to my boyfriend who's obsessed with the series, I pretty much know the whole story. :)

They're some of my favourite books, but they get really, really weird as the series progresses.

i saw the movie, then read the book, then saw the movie again. i love the movie. i haven't seen the mini series (though i've had the opportunity) but someday i'll watch it. i recall a number of discrepancies in the movie, but i enjoyed it anyway.

the concept i found intriguing in the book was that it's inevitable that any controlling military super power will become complacent/lazy with time (and this laziness will lead to their downfall.)

dele said:
I agree, the mini-series was much better than the older movie, as much as I hate to say that about any Patrick Stewart film.

I love Patrick Stewart (i don't care if he plays on the other team ;) )

Dunes

I read DUNES way before the movie. It was a book I found I had to keep going back to the glossary so I could understand to what the language was referring.

I liked it for the most part although it was not an easy read. Like THE NARNIA CHRONICLES, there was a message behind the story.

I didn't care for the movie. Movies limit the books communication.
Rewriting a book into a screen play must be difficult.

Back