• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

e-Books Vs normal books..

is the good any good?

hi C. Bob, in other words, is the Author any good??? every writer needs
to be honest with themselves about that. people can love to sing or do a number of other things and still not be very good at it, right? also, have noticed many people have Great ideas, esp. in the sci fi gendre, but may not have the talent to put those ideas out in a book or story. then there is the experience thing, too, getting better as one goes along.
I'm convinced the absolute best way to know if you're any good is by the feedback you get. this is in the gendre you write in now. I'm a mystery writer, cozy mysteries really, so why would I expect someone who prefers sci fi to enjoy my stories? they may be able to help me with how good the editing is, if they're willing to do that.
my feedback has been very positive. that's why I hang in there.
the self-publishing thing was daunting for me, but many, many do it, and some of these are really good writers, too. I have an ebook publisher and am
very satisfied going that route. the expense was not prohibitive, and the publisher has been very helpful.

Heh, would I be so indelicate... yeah.

Thanks for the reply, I daresay feedback these days is a much more useful tool given how easy the internet facilitates it.

I've had an e-reader for a little over a year or so now. I only download e-books for free, because for the price they're sold I might as well get the physical book. E-books can never replace physical books for me - I still like the feel of them, the smell, the diversity in sizes, fonts, lay-out, etc.

I'm not completely against e-books, obviously. I think it's very handy because I can't always get my hands on books I want to read in the library, and if I don't even know if I'll like it it seems such a shame to buy them and have them shipped oversees and whatnot. It's also very handy if you have to use publics transport a lot, as I do.

I watched a BBC documentary on e-books recently, and one man expressed something I certainly agree with: "If the physical shape starts to become more important than the ideas in it, you have to wonder what you're doing."

ebook discussion

what a great quote! I was one of those dragged into the ebook world because my nook was a gift from my son. now I use both the books and the ebooks and my reasons for doing so are largely the same as yours. I have found some books more reasonable to download, and others much more so by ordering them, esp. if they are older books. I did not know 18 months ago ebooks would be the way for me to get exposure at a more reasonable cost and reaching a larger audience without the time pressure traditonal publishers put a new author under. so, I owe the ebook readers a lot!

I enjoy both ereaders and old school books, I like to buy books threw my Kindle and if I Love it I buy the Hard Cover or the Book format for my shelves. On the go I prefer my ereader its much more compactible and I feel easy for me to zone out to what is going on around me.

Do you prefer eBook or paperback?

Which do you prefer?

eBook or Paperback?

I still love my paperback books I must say. I am trying to read books on an iPad at the moment, but I still can't get use to it. How long did it take you?
Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I think I will eventually get onto eBooks for my personal reading.
When it comes to children's books I believe in paperback. I think the children can relate a lot more with a book in their hand instead of a piece of technology.
What do you think?

Robin

I am trying to read books on an iPad at the moment, but I still can't get use to it. How long did it take you?

Check out Kindle. Much better than the Ipad for books, and a lot easier on the eye. An avid reader all my life, it took me just a couple of minutes to get comfortable with a Kindle, in terms of eyestrain it is as good or as bad as any real book.

There is nothing like the smell and feel of a book, but for sheer convenience, Kindle wins.

Check out Kindle. Much better than the Ipad for books, and a lot easier on the eye. An avid reader all my life, it took me just a couple of minutes to get comfortable with a Kindle, in terms of eyestrain it is as good or as bad as any real book.

There is nothing like the smell and feel of a book, but for sheer convenience, Kindle wins.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at the kindle. I know it's better to get a reader now days for ease and environmental, but it is so hard to part with a real book, as you said the smell and feel.

I just feel like when I finish the eBook that I wont have that same satisfaction of turning that last page of the book.

Time will tell when I finish my first book. :)

I don't think so. TV didn't kill the radio, and VHS/DVD/Bluray didn't kill the cinema. There is a place for all.

Mobile phones wiped out landlines and tablets are gradually replacing desk tops so I think e books will be all we have soon. We will get used to reading them.

Tablets are not going to replace desktops. Business is the #1 user of desktops and I can tell you that nobody wants to write, spreadsheet, CAD, or do any kind of input intensive or processor intensive activities on a tablet. That being said, I do see the desktop giving way to "desktop replacement" notebooks.

And mobile phones have not wiped out landlines, at least not in Portugal. Landlines may not have as many users as they used to, but it's still widespread.

Mobile phones wiped out landlines and tablets are gradually replacing desk tops so I think e books will be all we have soon. We will get used to reading them.

Plenty 'o landlines around here. And plenty of reason to keep them. Its a heck of a lot more logical to have a landline that's traceable to your home in case you need emergency service. Its also a great excuse not to buy your kid a cell phone!

Tablets aren't going to replace desktops either. Comfort alone says that a full keyboard will never disappear.

Plenty 'o landlines around here. And plenty of reason to keep them. Its a heck of a lot more logical to have a landline that's traceable to your home in case you need emergency service. Its also a great excuse not to buy your kid a cell phone!

Tablets aren't going to replace desktops either. Comfort alone says that a full keyboard will never disappear.

Amen to that Alix!

Tablets aren't going to replace desktops either. Comfort alone says that a full keyboard will never disappear. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

I thoroughly agree. Nothing frustrates me more than a touch screen keyboard.

I disagree. I live in a house stuffed to the rafters with real print books. I don't have a passionate dislike for electronic media, I just think there's room for all sorts of ways of reading/learning/spreading knowledge.

I can't help thinking that the 'ebook will replace real books' argument was perhaps started by a company that produces ebooks?

Its a heck of a lot more logical to have a landline that's traceable to your home in case you need emergency service. Its also a great excuse not to buy your kid a cell phone!

If you want to get technical about it, mobile phones can be positioned anywhere on the globe if you should need emergency services anywhere but your home. :innocent:

But yeah, it's an odd analogy. And they can pry my proper computer with its lovely keyboard, awesome processing power and huge hard drive from my cold, dead hands. It's a common fallacy in marketing that people will substitute good products for inferior ones just because they're new. It rarely works out like that. If it did, we'd all be riding Segways instead of cars.

As I plugged my Kindle in last night to recharge I thought "you don't have to do this with paper books, just read as much as you like then put in a bookmark and carry on reading as and when you like" - the book doesn't tell you to go and recharge. Just an idle thought. :)

I have a Kindle and yes, I do like it and have not brought a physical book in about two years. I do still like the feel of a book and the better reading experience you get from a book, however the practicalities of storage (we live in a small house) and the fact that you can carry lots of books around with you when you go out/away make me love my Kindle too. Hopefully there will be room for both and e-readers will not replace "proper" books! That would such a shame :-(

i'm all for reading on the iPad - i also have an e-ink reader, but i will reach for the iPad every time.. i've all but given up on reading paper books - my book room or 'library' as i like to call it, is no Tardis, and is running out of space to store books.

i used to think i would never give up my paper books, never enjoy reading without the feel and smell of paper, but no! i LOVE reading on my iPad now, don't miss the paper at all.

Back