• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

e-Books Vs normal books..

Erm...Am I allowed to say I don't know for certain what an eBook is?
Is it like reading on the internet?
If it is, I don't consider that a book, but net text?

Ebook, book in electronic format such .pub .mobi or pdf (amongst several others) for reading on an electronic device such as an e-reader or via a dedicated e-book software.

Erm...Am I allowed to say I don't know for certain what an eBook is?
Is it like reading on the internet?
If it is, I don't consider that a book, but net text?
E-book it's a device where you download a book from internet and read it. Some are make to don't bother the eyes, a friend of mine have an e-book and it'is like there would be ink. (I hope to have written its in an understandable English ahaha)

Last edited:
I used to prefer physical books to ebooks, as I love the smell and feel of a physical book.
However, since the purchase of my nook hd, I prefer ebooks to physical books.
Unlike physical books, which is constrained by space, I can carry thousands of ebooks with me, and not worry about space.

I dislike physical books. Big, bulky and you have to find a way to store them. I would never purchase a physical book again and dislike even reading them when I get them from the library. My preferred e-reader is my iPhone but I have a Kindle and an iPad that I use at home.

I dislike physical books. Big, bulky and you have to find a way to store them. I would never purchase a physical book again and dislike even reading them when I get them from the library. My preferred e-reader is my iPhone but I have a Kindle and an iPad that I use at home.

Child of the digital age.

Child of the digital age.
Actually no.

I grew up well before all of these technical wonders came into the world, but I fully embrace them all.

There is nothing a physical book can offer that even comes close to having my entire library in the front pocket of my jeans. There's no need to find a place to store my library. I don't have to box it up every time I move.

Within days of getting my iPhone I had donated every physical book I owned to charity and will never look back.

YMMV.

I guess it depends on what you read. I'd venture that around half of my home library is unavailable in ebook format. Even if they were available in an electronic format, I can't see getting rid of my reference books.

Within days of getting my iPhone I had donated every physical book I owned to charity and will never look back.

I suppose ebooks are a good solution for people that are regular readers and prefer to keep their books. I prefer traditional books, storage isn't a problem for me though as I get rid of them afterwards.

Most books, a e-book is perfectly fine, but if it is something I'll keep referring back to, then I will get a physical book from the beginning.

There are also types of books I much prefer a physical copy. And that would be mysteries. Sometimes I go back to see what a potential suspect has done or said - and this is an easier task with a physical book rather than an ebook. Also, for some reason, I still find physically turning a page more effective when reading suspense than swiping or pressing on an arrow on a ebook.

If I really like a book that I originally purchased as an ebook, I may want the physical version also, but the reverse hasn't held true for me. If I already purchased a physical book, I've yet to want a digital version as well.

Ebooks are useful as you can adjust print size, carry thousands of titles in your back pocket etc. but there is something nice about having a real book, even a collection in your living room or whatever can look great. Especially if you go down the rare, collectible route.

I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm saying it'll only happen if people stop buying paper books. Publishers make a lot more money off paper books, and they aren't going to stop printing them as long as people keep buying them. To paraphrase what someone said about bookshops, the professed love for paper books must be matched with a willingness to pay for them. If that isn't there, then yes, paper books will likely go the way of the compact disc.

Actually they don't make more money off actual print books. The overhead to produce print copies is quite a degree higher than most folks expect. That starts with just the basic cost of paper , bindery operations and the costs of flooring a suitable press.

During the trip, the e-book is much more convenient. At home, near the fireplace, pleasant to read a paper book. ))) And the bookshelves in the house look very stylish.

The subject is e-books vs "normal" books. Define "normal".

1.) A paperback book - cheap paper, thin paper cover, destined for the landfill or recycle center.
2.) Mass Market Hardbound books - cheap glued together binding, $20-30 list price, discounted to $15-18. Soon to die.
3.) Boutique Hardbound books - Smythe sewn bindings, non-acid heavy weight paper, expensive ($50-400)
4.) Old books - pre-1950's, sentimental value or a collection.

I won't buy types 1 and 2 above anymore as I can't afford the space, weight and non-permanence. E-books have completely taken over my paperback addiction since they are as portable if not more portable than the paper version. Mass market books annoy me because they are not much better than the paperback versions when it comes to lifetime. I very rarely purchase these books either.

Old books - possibly unavailable in e-book form or of sentimental value. The older books must justify their existence on my shelf either by containing information that I really need or that make me feel good holding them in my hands. I have a twelfth edition of "Woodcraft" by "Nesmuk" (George Washington Sears) here on my desk that was printed in 1900 ( originally written in 1888 ). I love that book because it describes life when northern New York was a wilderness - and because it was purchased new by my grandfather.

Type 3 books are expensive and meant to last more than a lifetime. I have eighteen of these so far with the most expensive being a four hundred dollar copy of the first volume of "To Make As Perfectly As Possible" by Andre-Jacob Roubo as translated by Williams, Pietryka-Pagin and Lafargue. This reprint contains technical information that is simply not available anywhere else - even in the original printing. I buy these on an as-needed or lusted after basis.

So - e-books for anything of a temporary nature, boutique if I want to pass the books down and hardbound for sentimental value books.

Back