• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

e-Books Vs normal books..

All my books are on Kindle, they don't take up space in our already overcrowded home. Some books from past years are in our big bookshelf but none have been added lately. We have a few gardening and reference books stored on the shelf below the coffee table. I did buy a couple of paperbacks - novels - but found I had to almost break the spines to see what was at the end of the page, like trying to read around the corner, very poorly put together, so am quite happy with the Kindle, not heavy and easy on my slightly arthritic thumbs.

Amen to that, Canuck! They are much easier to hold -- even all of them at once -- and also to read. My Kindle must be getting close to bursting by now, but we still shop the library sales for good values, too. One way or another the collection just grows and grows. :eek:

Hi Peder - will have to get another Kindle at some point - am up to 1100 books in my archives and I think there is a cutoff point, not sure what the number is. I wonder how that works, will I still be able to access what I already have on the old Kindle? I don't imagine the contents will go anywhere. Shows you how much I know about digital books!

Well, Canuck,
Time was when we had a mixture of hardcover and softcover books. Now we have a mixture of hardcover, softcover and Kindle books -- all of the same book, even. :eek: And favorite books on each of our Kindles, too. What can I tell ya? They just multiply. And right now I am reading a highly recommended hardcover City, by Clifford D. Simak and David W. Wixon, which is also on both of our Kindles courtesy of Amazon's sharing policy.

Let us know when your Kindle bursts and you have electronic pages scattered all over the floor. :)

The pleasure of reading a book is also symbolic ! I can't put out of my mind that is just another marketing innovation.. It is true that e-books are maybe handier for some, but this argument is sometimes used as an exuse: when you travel ( depends on the lenght of the trip ) you don't take a whole library with you: you select one, two, or three books that weight a few hundred grams.. And there is the joy of collecting during your whole life the books that marked your existence ! E-books doesn't allow you that..

I have different uses for my Kindle & for physical books. I'm often in the hospital for surgeries, and a Kindle is a far easier way to have a lot of reading material. Besides that, a Kindle can check my email or facebook when I'm out & about (I don't use a smartphone) without having to take my laptop. When I'm at home, I prefer sitting in my recliner, with a warm blanket, and a cup of some beverage within reach with a nice trade paperback in one hand.

There is a set of books commonly known as "Classics". I can remember reading "Great Expectations" by Dickens in my English class in high school. To get these books now you have a choice between paperbacks that are easily worn out or very expensive - yet limited in content - sets of "Classics".

Enter some utterly insane book lovers who decided to create an e-pub business. Delphi Classics (www.delphiclassics.com) contain more inexpensive copies of classic literature than will fit on a Kindle - I know, I ran out of space. These books are commonly $2.98 each - but they're not a single book, they're everything that the author ever wrote. There are package deals that contain every compilation in a series at a reduced price. To obtain these books in hard copy format you would have to go to a large city library like the one in New York City.

I have them all at home - more probably than I will ever get to read (I'm 67). I'm sorry to say that only an English major will be familiar with many of these authors. How many here are familiar with Stephen Crane, G.A. Henty or George Gissing? Zane Gray, Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson and that English guy William Shakespeare may be more familiar. I'm currently trying to read Tacitus (AD 56 - AD 118) to get an idea of Roman life two thousand years ago. You're not going to find this kind of literature in your corner bookstore ( they'd go broke trying to keep unpopular books like this in stock ).

"Nero now became the sport of fortune as a result of his own credulity and the promises of Caesellius Bassus. Punic by origin and mentally deranged, Bassus treated the vision he had seen in a dream by night as a ground of confident expectation, took ship to Rome, and, buying an interview with the emperor, explained that he had found on his estate an immensely deep cavern, which contained a great quantity of gold, not transformed into coin but in unwrought and ancient bullion."

Complete Works of Tacitus (Kindle Locations 45538-45541). Delphi Classics.

Where else but on an e-reader are you going to find two thousand year old gossip?

I am not a huge fan of e-books. Audiobooks I can tolerate but nothing beats actually holding a book and flipping through the pages.

I will admit... sometimes when I am travelling it's easier to read on my phone - so I will purchase a book on the Google Play Store, but I would rather have the hard copy.

I have a Kindle, and a whole bunch of books on it, but I just can't get myself to use it. I totally get why people prefer them, but for me I need the actual physical sensation of reading a book--holding the book, reading one page than the other, flipping the page, etc. I just can't concentrate when all I see if a screen with no frame of reference for where I am in the book.

I prefer hard copy books always. The e-reading experience especially for fiction, I find quite hollow. But i have, since the pandemic began raging, become an acquaintance of textbooks in an online format. I have been making modules for many high school textbooks online after reading available reviews etc. It has been useful to have highlighting options online.

I prefer hard copy books always. The e-reading experience especially for fiction, I find quite hollow. But i have, since the pandemic began raging, become an acquaintance of textbooks in an online format. I have been making modules for many high school textbooks online after reading available reviews etc. It has been useful to have highlighting options online.
i also have an amazing kindle that i treasure

Back