• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

e-books vs physical books

You're totally off base here...Stewart is only twenty eight. :rolleyes:

I note the rolleyes. I was just poking fun as I felt that Stewart was a little bit dismissive of me and my youth.

You know, of course, that the younger generation usually does not trust the older generation.

Since I am so young, I have even more reason not to trust as I can read the headlines about how the older generation has royally screwed things up. Two young men that I knew are dead in Iraq because somebody made the decision that young lives are expendable in the (just?) cause of removing an evil dictator. I often wonder if Bush had two sons instead of his miscreant daughters, would he send them off to war so quickly? I saw no need to remove Saddam as he was bottled up by the No-Fly zones and thus, I do not support this massive expenditure of young lives. Of course, this is not a political forum and I will venture no further on that topic. Still, I would appreciate some consideration for my youth. I am learning. IF Stewart can give me a new appreciation for writing other than my, "I like the stuff that I like," I will be happy to learn from him as stated.

On the book in question, I really liked the book. I was caught up in it. I won't mention the name for fear that Stewart will remove this post. Now, if there are further heights to reading, I now naught of them as of present, BUT I am willing to learn. Stewart can dissect the book and let me know what shortcomings exist so I can do the same in the future and learn to act just like him when I am 28:eek: .

I posted one opening post about how I liked E-books and so on. It was erased.
The book which shall not be named was mentioned in at toward the end. The post hasn't been erased. Merely quarantined.

How can anybody introduce himself in his introductory posts are removed?

Loads of people manage it. They tend to say hi, tell us a bit about themselves, and then tell us a bit about what they like. They don't use every post to mention the same book over and over again. Such a pattern rings alarms.

There was another book seller in Seattle who was selling the book at that same price, too. the new seller I do not know.
Why are you following the price of a book that you already own? What purpose does that serve?

Sorry, I can not find it [the glaring error]. Perhaps that is the result of your British Isle English verses my [referred American English.

Nutty Joe said:
"Now," he told himself, "was not the time to do things in proper fashion."
The glaring error is that was should be is. It's English, pure and simple. Not British, not American.

I have a feeling you did not like Hemingway or Zane Grey, either.
I quite like the Hemingway I've read. I've not read Zane Grey.

Are cliches wrong?
It depends on their usage. If they are being used without the author realising they are cliches, then most certainly, they are wrong.

Are we dealing with some sort of hateful bias that possesses you?
No, it was just terrible writing.

I note that the book in question is still the number one selling novel on Amazon-Mobi and that the author is outselling all the major authors in the world.
All the major authors in the world? I'm sure JK Rowling will be hitting him for six come July. ;)

How can that be if the book as you say is a "Piece of Crap?"
Well, don't take my word for it. How about the only two reviews of it on that mobi site?

Terrible writing - First book? on 25 June 2007 (note 2/5)
The story is compelling, who hasn't dreamed about being the only one left? However that is where the story begins to falter. The book is written so terribly, that it is difficult to get through. The reason it is so expensive on Amazon, as is hyped above, is that it was probably a small publishing run (if any) and no other published in their right mind would pick it up as is. As for being a great movie, yes the premise would make a great movie, but the story would have to be re-written from end-to-end.
Horrible Writing on 19 June 2007 (note 1/5)
I used to think I wouldn't know good writing if I saw it. I've always been happy with the quality of writing to the point that I thought "only plot matters." Boy was I wrong. This book may have a great plot, I can't tell. I get so frustrated with the horrible dialog and writing that I can't stand to read more than a few minutes at a time.

Word of mouth appears to have people buying it.
I'd guess deceit. You've been posting about it in many places, sometimes forgetting you've actually posted there already. ;)

As regards your crude language, I usually stay away from vulgar words and I think they demean the man who uses them.
Once again, it's English. Plain old English.

Please tell me what you find objectionable in the book, and I will listen and learn.
The writing, as I've mentioned. It's terrible.

Anyway, since you are happy to give out your name on some forums, I do note that the fish-faced Joe Neubarth has a son with the same name as yourself. No relation, I hope. Imagine being related to that talentless guy. Oh, and I also note that the main character in the book shares a name with you too. All these coincidences. Amazing that.

Stewart scares me.

I've never seen such openly expressed verbal ass-kicking in one post. It's like a rap battle...only not

The book which shall not be named was mentioned in at toward the end. The post hasn't been erased. Merely quarantined.
Then Stewart, you can see that I posted one post and then a day or two later two more. Your assertion to the contrary is totally false and dishonest. Shame on you!

Why are you following the price of a book that you already own? What purpose does that serve?
I have bought a lot of books on the Internet. I am familiar with some of the Internet Sellers that I was making rich. When I cut and pasted the link to the Amazon site, I recognized Boski Books and the Seattle seller. Since he is not listed anymore I guess he sold out of used books. As stated, I do not know the third seller. I linked to Amazon because of the link on Mobi.

The glaring error is that was should be is. It's English, pure and simple.
I don't see it as an error. It appears to be a perfect example of the use of subjunctive past tense for a thought that was fleeting. Have you ever heard of subjunctive? Other than your ignorance of the subjunctive can you actually come up with an example of a mistake in the book? So far it looks to me that you are challenged by English usage. You can still take English classed at night to catch up on Grammar.

Well, don't take my word for it. How about the only two reviews of it on that mobi site?
I have never seen the reviews, but I strongly suspect that you placed them there. Since you were glaringly wrong on your only example from the book, how about coming up with another example that does not embarrass you so completely. You need to learn English Grammar, Stewart. How could you hold a moderator position when you are so weak on English?

I'd guess deceit. You've been posting about it in many places, sometimes forgetting you've actually xxx posted there already[
I am not that other person at that site. I am who I claim to be, a college student. Go to that site and see if you can contact that poster. I suspect that it is possible. Thousands of E-book sales speak to the fact that the book is appreciated and others can ask for it if they please. Your attack on it notwithstanding. You have yet to show your disagreement with the book and I strongly suspect that you can't.

Anyway, since you are happy to give out your name on some forums, I do note that the fish-faced xxx has a son with the same name as yourself. No relation, I hope. Imagine being related to that talentless guy. Oh, and I also note that the main character in the book shares a name with you too. All these coincidences. Amazing that.
I borrowed my name for my Yahoo email. You want to guess where I borrowed it from? I liked the story as previously stated.
Thanks for the link. I admire the man greatly. Is that what you call fish faced? Did he take your woman away from you at one time in your life?
You appear to be insanely jealous. Shame on you, again.

Give it up guys! Life is too short.
By the way, Devoted Reader, you make some glaring mistakes in your posts. For example:
Sorry, I can not find it. Perhaps that is the result of your British Isle English verses my [referred American English. American English is the world standard. You Europeans need to learn how to talk correctly.

That should be versus. Verses refer to those things in poetry (stanzas).

I initially missed the grammatical error. Stewart is right, you alter tense mid sentence. "Now" is present tense "was" refers to the past.

This argument is hysterical, but has hi-jacked the thread. :p

Then Stewart, you can see that I posted one post and then a day or two later two more. Your assertion to the contrary is totally false and dishonest. Shame on you!
Yes, but in all those posts you mentioned that which shall not be named. There's nothing false or dishonest about what I said. The posts have been retained - it's just that members can't see them.

I don't see it as an error. It appears to be a perfect example of the use of subjunctive past tense for a thought that was fleeting. Have you ever heard of subjunctive? Other than your ignorance of the subjunctive can you actually come up with an example of a mistake in the book?
While it may be the subjunctive, it doesn't stop the tenses being confused. There's a mistake. Now, I can't be bothered reading through the sample extract from mobi again as it's truly dire, and I'm certainly not paying out $6 for crap. So I'll need to base my opinion on the extract - but I'm sure it's truly indicative of the whole. The typesetting on the contents page was a joke too - chapter names at various levels of indentation after the numbered chapter.

So far it looks to me that you are challenged by English usage. You can still take English classed [sic] at night to catch up on Grammar [sic].
Quite.

I have never seen the reviews, but I strongly suspect that you placed them there.
Look at the dates. They were before I - or anyone other than yourself - had ever heard of Joe Neubarth. I'm sure Amazon doesn't allow for the backdating of reviews. Therefore they are legitimate reviews from people foolish enough to fritter cash away on such a lousy product.

Since you were glaringly wrong on your only example from the book, how about coming up with another example that does not embarrass you so completely.
I was glaringly wrong? We've been over that already. Plus, you missed the question mark at the end of that sentence. Don't worry though, there's still time to take English classed [sic] at night.

You need to learn English Grammar [sic], Stewart. How could you hold a moderator position when you are so weak on English?
I am a moderator here due to longstanding contribution to the forum in the form of reviews, writing, wit ;), literary knowledge, and a genuine desire to see the place do well because I am a bibliophile, pure and simple. That, and I can spot bullshit a mile off.

I admire the man greatly. Is that what you call fish faced? Did he take your woman away from you at one time in your life?
Take my woman away from me? Where? To his little sandcastle at the bottom of the sea?

You appear to be insanely jealous.
Now that's what I like. When someone attributes a genuine dismissal of someone with no talent as jealousy. There is nothing, I repeat nothing, of which you could accuse me of with regards to jealousy surrounding Joe Neubarth: not the fact he is a bad writer; that he is self-published; or that he would give fish a knee trembler, if indeed they had knees.

Jesus, if we put this much attitude and spunk in our first novels, we would be on the Bestsellers List.

No doubt.

So, pistols at dawn, boys?

Nahh! He has found more of my typos than he has found wrong with the book I recommended. I do not always type well. The fact remains that Stewart has not listed any real content that he can substantively disagree with from the book. Subjunctive is difficult to write into a clause or sentence, but it was called for in that sentence as the action was in the past. The character had dismissed a thought.

Stewart did have one valid criticism. I did note the irregularity of the chapter titles myself. I expect that is a tab and spacing problem and the conversion from a Word or whatever Document to the Mobi Pocket Reader format does not allow for Tabs but does count spaces. I'll suggest to Joe that he just use spaces in the future. I have noted the same problem on several books that I have downloaded from Mobi, so it would appear to be a software formatting problem.

I think Stewart is a good guy who is trying to defend the forum against an enthusiastic teenager who posted his first post on this forum about his favorite author. As I had posted, I think Joe is a wonderful guy. He is the father to thirty and the grandfather to 18. Both he and his wife are disabled and count on the income from the sale of his books to help them pay their medical bills. Stewart's attacking of the author because of my enthusiasm for his story is wrong and I think he should go back to Mobi and ask them to remove his posts.

Nahh! He has found more of my typos than he has found wrong with the book I recommended.

I'm at work and the mobi software isn't installed here. Thus I can't read the sorry extract. But, rest assured, I'll post it tonight and we can all pick it apart for the drivel that it is.

Subjunctive is difficult to write into a clause or sentence, but it was called for in that sentence as the action was in the past. The character had dismissed a thought.
No. It's wrong. Grammatically the character can't talk to themself in the present (i.e. now) and then say was in the same sentence. Fact!

I'll suggest to Joe that he just use spaces in the future.
On speaking terms, are you? Schizophrenia, most likely. Perhaps you leave notes on one hand so Joe can pick them up when you are in that character. :rolleyes:

I think Joe is a wonderful guy. He is the father to thirty and the grandfather to 18. Both he and his wife are disabled and count on the income from the sale of his books to help them pay their medical bills.
Seriously, this is not washing. Since you are on speaking terms with him maybe you can suggest he leaves his tackle in his pants and takes time out to learn how to write. No doubt that's how he's disabled: put his back out making babies.

Stewart's attacking of the author because of my enthusiasm for his story is wrong
I don't quite understand how my attacking of the "author" is any concern of yours. As you've stated before, you're not supposed to be him. We quite happily slate Dan Brown, Stephen King and more here based on whatever pisses us off about them. At least Dan and Steve don't go around forums advertising their crap in a dishonest way, pretending to be nineteen year old boys, and trying to evoke sympathy for someone we don't care about as if that's any sort of defence.

I think he should go back to Mobi and ask them to remove his posts.
If you are referring to the two negative reviews, they are not mine. They are genuine disgruntled readers. I told you that already, but it would seem you are too hot for Joe to notice what's been said.

Five more for Joe to get working on. Jeez, it must feel like slinging a sausage up the Channel Tunnel by now.

Five more for Joe to get working on. Jeez, it must feel like slinging a sausage up the Channel Tunnel by now.

I would never have thought of it that way...thanks:rolleyes:

But 35 is nothing compared to how an old friend misheard the lyrics of Lucille by Kenny Rogers.Instead of hearing, "With 4 hungry children, and a crop in the field.." He thought the line went, "With 400 children and a crop in the field..you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille." If my friend was right, Lucille was ever so right to leave!

I would prefer a book in my hand to the screen. I'm hoping that most people will as well, I recently asked the same question on facebook and got the reply that real books were the way to go. (I'm releasing my book for free in installments on my web, but am hoping that when it is published people will still pay for a book even though it's free on-line.)

Back