• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Earthsea

MEYERTREE

just saw on tv last night that the Sci-Fi network has done movie called Earthsea, based on Ursula K LeGuinn's Trilogy.
Any opinions on this?
Seeing as how they completely botched their other adaptations.

but you mentioned other adaptations, though... does this mean that there were other earthsea productions? i suppose those where bad, since you said they botched it...

i was speaking of how badly Sci-Fi Network has hacked up others stories.
most notably Phillip Jose Farmer's Riverworld.
Their re-make of Battlestar Galactica sucked a big load of hooey too.

Riverworld was appalling. Battlestar Gallactica has only just started over here. I wasn't impressed at first, they've changed a few things I think they should have left alone, but now it's growing on me.

The casting of Starbuck will always be wrong, it doesn't matter so much that she's a woman but that she's bloody awful in every respect. No charm, wit, charisma or chemistry. She just shouldn't be there at all. she doesn't even qualify as eye candy, so it's beyond me how she got the part.

I do like the new cyclons though. Not the CGI robot ones, I think they're pants. But the 12 new models. Without saying anything to spoil it for people who haven't seen it. And they've kept the KITT eyes, and the space battles are fun. And I like Balthar, he does a good bonkers face. Adama looks like a drug dealer though.

I didn't like the Earthsea books. Found them very boring. So for me at least, there's very little they could do wrong to them and anything they do change is likely to be an improvement.

MEYERTREE said:
i was speaking of how badly Sci-Fi Network has hacked up others stories.
most notably Phillip Jose Farmer's Riverworld.
Their re-make of Battlestar Galactica sucked a big load of hooey too.

I actually was really impressed with the new Battlestar Galactica. I went into it thinking that it would be total pants but i found it really great. I'm not sure if it has enough to stand as a whole season, but we will see. Personally, looking forward to watching the new eps :)

More information on the EarthSea tv show

Here is more information about the Earthsea TV show. It starts on 13th of December! I'm gonna be sure to watch it. Hopefully they don't do it. The only reservations I have from reading this is that the wizard is a young reckless youth. Hmmm, can they make that any more cliche? But anyway, I am hopeing it will be good :)

Earthsea follows the tale of a Ged (Shawn Ashmore), a reckless youth destined to become the greatest sorcerer that the mystical land of Earthsea has ever known. When Ged discovers that he possesses infinite magical powers, he seeks to master the ancient arts with the help of Ogion (Danny Glover), the legendary wizard of all time. As he journeys to manhood, he will combat dragons, rescue a princess, fall in love, cross death's threshold, and ultimately wield the power to reunite a kingdom.

Danny Glover, Shawn Ashmore (X2: X-Men United) and Kristin Kreuk (Smallville) join critically-acclaimed actress Isabella Rossellini in this coming-of-age-fantasy premiering as a two-night television miniseries event on the SCI FI Channel in December 2004.

Known for his wide range of feature film roles, Danny Glover has been mesmerizing audiences in a broad range of performances from the role of Albert opposite Whoopi Goldberg in The Color Purple to Mel Gibson's sidekick in the famed feature franchise Lethal Weapon. Kristin Kruek, best known as Lana Lang in the hit television series "Smallville," has starred in the television version of "Snow White." And, as anyone who watches movies knows, Shawn Ashmore appeared as Bobby Drake/Iceman in X2: X-Men United.

Earthsea is an adaptation of Le Guin's series of novels: A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan. Frequently listed alongside Tolkien's Middle Earth and C.S. Lewis's Narnia as one of fantasy's greatest literary creations, the stories of Earthsea have been translated into 16 languages, with millions of copies in print.

Author Ursula K. Le Guin has won numerous awards, including five Hugo awards, five Nebula awards, a National Book Award and has been a finalist for the American Book Award. Popular with readers both within and outside the science-fiction arena, Le Guin's 16 novels have sold millions of copies worldwide.

For more information on the movie, visit the Earthsea site.

Oooooh, I can't wait - I just saw Earthsea logo flashing past HBO's series of shows to be shown soon here! Dunno if I will be able to catch it, but it is available, then I'll try hard! :)

ds

In keeping with my dogged insistence of Earthsea info (grin), here's a couple of items of interest:

Le Guin has written something about the Earthsea miniseries before in her website, but since the appearance of the show, she has written another rant, this time up at Slate.

I personally hadn't thought much about the race issue, merely plot changes, but UKL has lots to say about both.

ds

Yeah, I read both of those. Read /. too huh? :D

I have two points really. Firstly, I was wanting to see Earthsea but now after everything I just have no wish to see it. Secondly, I can understand how she is upset. One thing that does puzzle me though. Why is she so obsessed with the race point? I mean, I AGREE with her. But that was like all she talked about!

Back