• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Easter Dinner

I'd really love to get a leg of lamb, but lamb doesn't seem to be very popular around these parts, or at least the buyer at Walmart doesn't seem to think so. As far as supermarkets go around here we have Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, (Sam's Club - still Walmart!) and Walmart. I don't know of a single butcher within a driveable distance from here, so I guess it will be rib of beef and yorkshire puds for us (yorkshire puds = popovers!).

Thanks for the idea, muggle, I sliced one and it's pink as heck! It looks fabulous, design-wise, all yellow and pink like that, though I had to settle for salt and pepper, totally lacking horseradish. I'll rummage around mum's fridge on Saturday for horseradish to try it with, but the simple beets and eggs are altogether nice enough! Thanks again.

muggle said:
Hard boil about 12 to 18 eggs (depending on how many you want):)and shell them.

Put them in a small crock or another similar container.

Open (2) 16 oz. jars of sliced "pickled beets" and pour, including the juice, over the eggs covering them. We like the sliced "Greenwood" Sweet & Tangy brand of Pickled Beets.

Put them in the refrigerator and let stand for a min. of 2 days so that the beet juice penetrates the eggs.
:eek: I forgot , you should also pour a 1/4 cup of white vinegar over it all. :eek:
My wife tells me that is the secret ingredient that my mother passed on to her.

Muggle, the eggs went over great yesterday, despite the lack of both, extra vinegar and horseradish. Enjoyed by ninety-five percent of all adults and five percent of all children, adding up to, it was loved by all, right?! Thank you, sir.

bren said:
Muggle, the eggs went over great yesterday, despite the lack of both, extra vinegar and horseradish. Enjoyed by ninety-five percent of all adults and five percent of all children, adding up to, it was loved by all, right?! Thank you, sir.
Ok, for the real test. Will you make the pickled eggs again sometime. :D

Actually, we usually only make them at Easter or possibly one other time during the year. :)

SIL,
OMG, OMG! I see it but can still hardly believe it!
We joke about snow on Easter here in NY, and occasionally it happens. But your picture is the Championship Entry in the category!
We had bright warm sun, (this year :) )
Peder

Actually, to get back closer to track, my dinner turned out to be
Whole milk 4oz
Grilled chicken salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette
Oven browned potatos
Lemon meringue
Coffee.

Cannot tell a lie,:rolleyes: :cool:
Peder

Peder said:
SIL,
OMG, OMG! I see it but can still hardly believe it!
We joke about snow on Easter here in NY, and occasionally it happens. But your picture is the Championship Entry in the category!
We had bright warm sun, (this year :) )
Peder

That picture turned out to be a whole lot bigger than I expected! Yes, we got dumped on, but now I have faith that it is going to be spring. I had a couple of robins down there eating off the ground with the doves and what I fondly call "the rodents" (squirrels and chipmunks.) What does squirrel mean? Shadow tail?

Ahem. Dinner. My daughter made a brunch of waffles and omelets and then we watched Jodie Foster's latest thriller and Pride and Prejudice on DVD. Both were quite good! Poor Jodie, her entire career has been dogged by the memory of that madman/would-be assassin. Or am I the only one who can never see her face without remembering that incident? :eek:

We had:
Ham
Rolls
Corn
Baked beans
Potato salad (ech)
Brussel sprouts (ech)
Sour pickles (double ech)
Deviled eggs (sp?)
Hard-boiled eggs
Cheesecake
Cake
Easter candy
...but we were feeding a crowd, so yeah.

StillILearn said:
I have no idea on earth what this might be, but it sounds extraordinarily scrumptous. Next year I am going to ask for one too. :)

How big are they?
Ha! Still, I've missed you, where have you been hiding? :)

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
We had:
Ham(Check)
Rolls(Check)
Corn(Nope)
Baked beans(Nope)
Potato salad (ech)(Check)
Brussel sprouts (ech)(Nope)
Sour pickles (double ech)(Nope)
Deviled eggs (sp?)(Check)
Hard-boiled eggs(Nope)
Cheesecake(Mintcake, otherwise...check)
Cake(Check)
Easter candy(check, check, check, check,check,check,check)
...but we were feeding a crowd, so yeah.

:cool: akdf;lkjf;afkja;jdf;ljf;ldfja;djf;ljf-ten words:rolleyes:

steffee said:
Ha! Still, I've missed you, where have you been hiding? :)

Hi, steffee. I've been lurking. Lots o' things going on here on the old home front, so I haven't been contributing much lately. Meanwhile, I'm counting on you guys to keep things going, which y'all have been doing plenty of! :D

Back