• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Edgar Allen Poe

That is a very comprehensive site. I enjoy much of Poe, but too often the sole subject of his writing is physical suffering. I will never understand what he was thinking while writing, for example, the Pit and the Pendulum, nor do I wish to.

My personal favorite Poe work is, as with the majority of those I know, The Raven.

I was wondering if anyone else has read any of Poe's short stories or poems? I recently read him and I really, really enjoyed him. I'd never read any kind of horror before, so I'm totally new to the genre but his stories were chilling and captivating.
'The Raven' is my favourite poem now, I just love the style and word choice and ideas.
So has anybody else read Poe?

Murders In The Rue Morgue, Ligeia, Berenice, The Cask Of Amontillado, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Masque of the Red Death, The Purloined Letter and The Case of M. Valdemar are the ones that spring to mind.

Regarding the first one, Clive Barker did a short story called New Murders in Rue Morgue which took Poe's idea a little further.

I have a collection of Poe's stories and poems in a big, black, leather volume, which must be read on cold, windy nights.

The Raven is an excellent poem technically. Consider this:

And the silken sad uncertain rustling...

Can't you just hear it?

Absolutely loved The Cask Of Amontillado. Didn't read it until college, but boy, what a story that sticks with you. The thought of the guy laughing it off as a joke before reality hits him-gave me some good chills.
cig2.bmp

A must for every horror / Poe fan: The Collective Works of Edgar Allen Poe. It's a bible-size collection of everything he's ever published.

sirmyk said:
A must for every horror / Poe fan: The Collective Works of Edgar Allen Poe. It's a bible-size collection of everything he's ever published.

Yup, I got mine from my local Chapters bookstore for only $12.99 Cdn.

I've been a fan of Poe for many years. I have an old volume (1941) of Poe's poems and stories that I enjoy reading.

I bought a collection of Poe's work years ago and never read it. Guess I'll have to give it a try.

PSYCO I bought a collection of Poe's work years ago and never read it. Guess I'll have to give it a try.

You really should, it's good stuff. I was lucky my middle school english lit. teacher was a fan and we read mostly Poe in lit class.

Ronny said:
...my middle school english lit. teacher was a fan and we read mostly Poe in lit class.
Mine too... but I'm guessing you're not from California. I remember disecting "The Tell Tale Heart" and it seemed like a long story back then. I read it last year while flipping through one of my Poe books, and found it was only a few pages long.

No, I'm from Alabama but we read the Tell Tale Heart as well and the Raven, Annabel Lee, the Fall of the House of Usher, the Pit and the Pendulum and the Cask of Amontillado, I think that was all but it was enough that we really liked the class and Poe.

I really love all of Poe's works, but I absolutely LOVE Anabell Lee. It's so beautiful and many times I find myself quoting it, or sometimes just reciting it to myself.
Cheers
e.

I haven't read much Poe yet, but I really liked the things I did read.

I also read a Poe comic a few years ago, which had some interesting stuff in it.

The Black Cat had me eyeing black cats in my neighbourhood suspiciously for quite some time :p
We read the Cat, The House of Usher, The Cask of Amontillado and The Purloined Letter for a Literature class last autumn, and that got me into Poe for real.

Had only read Usher and The Raven before then.

Of course this summer I passed another Literature course by means of a paper on The Raven - so Poe stuck with me... or rather: I stuck with Poe. I really love his writings.

I have a cheap edition of Poe's Tales Of Mystery & Imagination featuring several color plates and lots of creepy little line drawings by the Victorian painter Arthur Rackham. I've had it probably 20+ years and it's one of my favorite books.

It includes The Imp of the Perverse; The Tell-Tale Heart; A Descent Into the Maelstrom; The Cask of Amontillado; The Premature Burial; Hop-Frog; The Assignation; King Pest; The Pit And The Pendulum; The Masque of The Red Death; The Man of The Crowd; The Fall of The House of Usher; The Oval Portrait; The Gold Bug; Ligeia; Eleonora; Berenice; Morella; Ms. Found In A Bottle; William Wilson; The Facts In The Case of M. Valdemar; Metzengerstein; The Murders In The Rue Morgue; The Mystery of Marie Roget; and The Purloined Letter.

Several of these stories were made into movies in the sixties and seventies. I particularly remember The Pit And The Pendulum and Vincent Price in The Masque of The Red Death.

Back