• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ernest Hemingway

Let me say that even though I have come to appreciate Hemingway, I am not a huge fan of his writing style. It is too spare for me, but I think it suits the stories that he tells perfectly. Of his stories that I have read I think that is most true about The Old Man and The Sea. I like the theme. A man battling a lot of things more powerful than himself ; time, the ocean, a huge fish, his legacy. blah, blah blah :)

Ernest Hemingway is one of the first authors I read (for the first time as a junior in high school) who made me realize my love for teaching English. I read 'A Farewell to Arms' in high school and then chose to take a seminar all about Ernest Hemingway as a freshman at the University of Michigan. I always use the example when teaching my college Composition courses that when I read 'The Sun Also Rises,' which is about bullfighting, I wrote a paper about it that used a fun title. I love coming up with intriguing titles, so I called it 'A Load of Bull'. I like when my students strive for interesting titles too, so that's the example I give. I've also read 'For Whom the Bell Tolls,' a variety of his short stories, and at least one other book, the title of which is escaping me at the moment. His writing style is clear, deliberate, and descriptive. I really enjoy the writing I've read by him.

My body convulsed after reading Old Man and the Sea.

I read it in one sitting and was stunned by it.

Back