• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Errors in Shutter Island

chiangmaifalcon

Am reading Shutter Island by Dennis lehane and is very suspensefuland well writte, but it bothers me as usual with technical inaccuracy. Specifically, this refers ot the part when the deputy warden at instituion for criminally insane tells marshals to hand over their weapons before entering the facility and at first they refuse. Everyone in law enforcement knows you cannot enter any secure correctional or psychiatric facility in the US with a firearm, and these are veteran US marshals who are responsible for inmate transport for US Bureau of Prisons and would definitely know this.
Also, after escape of prisoner, this doctor is allowed to leave facility despite lockdown. Marshals say this is violation of procedure and therefore must be cover-up or conspiracy, but in actuality I have been involved in numerous escapes from correctional facilities, and have been in charge of prison duriing escape drills, and general rule is that, following initial lockdown and master count of inmates and complete search of the facility, the employees are then permitted to leave.
However, despite this I still find this to be an exciting story and will continue to read it to find out what happens and recommend this book to people on forum. I just think writers should do more research first.

Once you reach the ending, all the errors will be fixed. I just can't say how,because that would ruin the book for you.

I think "fictional license" may also be a term that covers those inaccuracies, distracting though they might be to a knowledgable reader.
Read on and just enjoy,
It all wraps up
:flowers:

Yes you are right. I should not let these things detract from enjoying story. Probably if doctors read fictional medical stories they also are disturbed by inaccuracies about medical stuff, but perhaps not.
One other thing but not about book. I see character of Teddy Daniels played in movie by Leonardo Decaprio. I think this is not a good part for him. he is like a pretty boy type and while he is good actor no doubt he is for sure no tough guy like character in book. But unfortunately Robert Mitchum and Charles Bronson are dead so probably this is best they can do.

One other thing but not about book. I see character of Teddy Daniels played in movie by Leonardo Decaprio. I think this is not a good part for him. he is like a pretty boy type and while he is good actor no doubt he is for sure no tough guy like character in book. But unfortunately Robert Mitchum and Charles Bronson are dead so probably this is best they can do.

At one time I'd have agreed with you, however LD isn't so pretty nowadays, at least not in Shutter Island, and in the end, he is a good choice. Considering. ;)
I say that as someone who think Charles Bronson and Robert Mitchum were absolutely the tops.

I thought Leonardo DiCaprio was mis-caste also until I saw him in "The Departed." It changed my view of him as an actor.
I haven't seen Shutter Island and may not. I liked the book to much.:)

Yes i forgot about Departed. He played good part in that movie and so maybe he will be good in this one also. Since I am old guy myself I am probably partial to old time movie actors, but i am sure there are plenty younger actors who can do good job. Actually for younger guys I think Russell Crow plays good tough guy parts, though apparently he is a jerk in real life.

Back