• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Especially for Mr. Wabbit (though others may read)

Irene Wilde

Following our discussion on the sins and virtues of London, I thought I'd share this with you. It is one of the "post cards" I write for friends from time to time.

Irene Wilde

So, I’m sitting here, avoiding the nightmare of unpacking and doing laundry, exhausted but oh so happy, and more relaxed than I’ve been in about a year trying to think were to beginning the retelling of my latest adventures. Beginning at the beginning almost doesn’t do it justice, so I think I’ll begin in the middle and see which path I take first. Chronology isn’t important here. Each adventure is its own tale, but the first tale shall be Waterlow.

Those of you familiar with the song understand why it would be so important for me to make this visit. For the rest the lyric* will be included as an appendix. For the non-English, Waterlow is a park in North London --more rustic than Regent’s Park, but not quite as wild as Hampstead Heath -- the footpaths each take you on a different journey, so I imagine you could take many trips through Waterlow and each of them would be unique.

Now, not being familiar with this part of London, but knowing it was adjacent to Highgate Cemetery, I thought to take the Tube to Highgate and find my way from there. This was a good thought, an intelligent thought, but since I seem to lose all sense of direction in England, in the end it didn’t serve me very well, except to make the adventure longer, for instead of heading straight out of the station, which would have probably set me right at the doorstep, I decided to head down the hill. Checking the maps at the bus stops along the way, it seems like I’m going the right direction, but instead I’m heading the opposite way. A quiet Saturday walk on a cloudy but warm enough day is its own delight though, so I’m thinking the stretch of the legs will be fine and I’ll get there eventually. 30 minutes later I spot the sign for Archway, and that’s when I remember the guidebook in my purse, which told me to exit the Tube at Archway, not Highgate! Oops!

Now, the guidebook remains in my purse, but I find the station at Archway and the road that obviously leads up to the park. Well, I say road, but that’s not quite right. It’s more, well, you know those structures rock climbers practice on, a sort of concrete slab with hand and foot holds built into them? It’s more like that, without the hand and foot holds! This straight up vertical climb that goes on so long I can’t even see the top! But up I go, past Dick Whittington’s cat and on until I’m completely winded and being passed by little old ladies who must make this walk daily and are quite comfortable with it. “What a wimp!” I’m thinking as I pause to catch my breath by leaning against a street lamp. But the journey is finally made and park appears on my left, green and lush and filled with the sounds of unseen song birds perched high in the trees.

On a bridge spanning the pond, it feels as if I am alone…that the park is deserted…only the echoes of “Waterlow” reaching me from a long way off. The sadness of the lyric, the gray sky, a lone goose gliding across the pond, and silence broken only by the liquid notes of a single bird in a nearby tree create such a sense of stillness that I’m not even breathing. A willow reaches its gnarled branches out over the pond; in the distance trees a dozens shades of green, some mossy, some vibrant and vivid, others almost silver, all spreading further up the hill to touch the soft gray clouds. England touches my spirit in so many ways, but here was the collective energy of England’s lost souls wandering to find this place of solitude where they can hear their hearts’ cry, and feel the yearning to belong to find an end to the loneliness. Here, star-crossed lovers can feel the impossibility of their love and weep for what they don’t have, will never have, and Waterlow will embrace them in her greenery, absorbing their pain into the collective pain of all the lost loves, into centuries of heartbreak and loneliness. Waterlow understands, and so she remains still and tranquil, ensuring those who have loved and lost will still have a place to call their own. I sigh, for it is a place of sighs, and leave in the pond a few tear drops in the still water. Waterlow is keeper of many private heartaches. It is only right that she keeps one more.

*The lyrics --

Waterlow
(Ian Hunter)
I followed the night till the morning sunlight
And I thought of the changing times
And I followed the child with the evergreen smile
And the blue broken tears start to cry

Blue broken tears hide away the years
Misty highway seems colder today

And I saw a Waterlow where the evergreen grows
And the wise man knows why he crys
And I heard a child call me away from this all
And the blue broken tears start to rise

Blue broken tears ain't nobody here
Lost in the sun my only young one

Blue broken tears our love disappears
The evergreen dies drowned in my eyes

Hi, just read your post. I want to say thanks that you have shared it. :) It's very well written, you almost make me like London lol :D

I'm on my break at work now, so I won't say anything more for now. I have much to say, but I wouldn't be fair if I type them right now. The words all tumble out here without thought. I need some time to collect my thoughts and choose my words with care.

Thanks for the post, as Arnie said, i'll be back :cool: Be prepared! it's going to be a long one :)

UK reality OR now the Brits are baying for my blood :D

OK, Miss wilde, there is my long promised reply :)

First, I want to address two things before I start.

The first: I think it's not America that you really have a problem with. I suggest that you live in L.A which is, obviously, not a nice place. I have been to the U.S MANY times and traveled in about 6 states and everywhere was very beauitful and filled with very friendly and open people.

Second: You have a idealized notion of England :) The places you talk about are either in central London, or they are posh. Of course those places are gong to be nice! Our country is tiny and crowded ( getting more and more crowded all the time ) You talk about the "green and pleasent land" A few parks and some nice ( which we do have nice countryside ) is not a reaon to like a place. There are nice places all over the world.

See here from the U.S.A

You want green and pleasent land? Here you go!

View attachment atinypic_com_r6gl
Clarkston, Utah

View attachment atinypic_com_r6gp
Montana

View attachment atinypic_com_r6gz
Cannon Beach, Oregon

I assure you that we have nothing to compare with this in the U.K. America is vast, with large areas of space. The U.K is a tiny island with very little of it paved over or not in use for some reason.

OK, now to the meat :)

I guessed that you would not just take my word on thease things, so I googled and supply you with my sources. This is Britain. I will give you the cold hard FACTS. Not only that, I want to explore the implications of the facts to paint you a picture of Britain.

FACT NUMBER 1
England has the worst crime record in the industrialised world OK, now, let's just repeat that. England has the WORST crime record in the INDUSTRIALISED WORLD.

"England has the worst crime record in the industrialised world, according to alarming findings published today.

The figures, which are a blow to Tony Blair's crusade against crime, show there are 58 offences for every 100 inhabitants of England and Wales each year.

That puts us joint top of the world league with Australia, with a record far worse than America, which has an annual rate of 43 crimes per 100 inhabitants.
"

Now, come on, this is pretty bad. I mean, the worst crime rate in the entire industrialised word???? Yup, folks, even worse than America. This country has a deep embedded culture of voilence. The people here are very tribal. There is an obsession of being "tough" I don't know if it's because or our celtic tribal past, the victorian stiff upper lip, or something else. Whatever it is, there is a deep level of voilence and animosity that permiates Britain. It manifests itself in our crime rate, football holligans that create havok when abroad, and in every day life. This is your green and "pleasent" land. In reality it's a crime infested, mean spirited and rude. source

FACT NUMBER 2
London is the second most expensive place in the world And the rest of the U.K is not too far behind it, either!!! Yup, if you like being taxed you will love the U.K. This is the country where you even have to have a tax to watch TV! $222.00 OH, and just because you live someplace, they slap you with a council tax! That will be $2,168.12 for this year please! Oh, and if you want to travel into central London that will be another tax for you! Of course, you can use public transport. Although, it's dirty, has no a/c ( how third world ) and is also the most expensive in the ENTIRE WORLD. Anyway, you might be better off since gas is so expensive here! If you end up buying anything you can expect to pay the VAT which is double your sales tax. source

FACT NUMBER 3
DRUG-TAKING BRITAIN IS WORST IN EUROPE "YOUNG Britons are much more likely to take drugs than any of their European neighbours, with "soft" drugs proving the most popular." :rolleyes: source

FACT NUMBER 4
Britain has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe :rolleyes: source

FACT NUMBER 5
British 'world's worst tourists "Britons have been labelled the world's worst holidaymakers in a survey of tourist boards around the globe.
Research by online travel service Expedia suggests Brits abroad are the least well-regarded by foreigners.

"They are the rudest, meanest, worst-behaved, most linguistically incompetent and least adventurous holidaymakers." and "And overall, the British finished bottom of the league table of 24 nations, which was topped by the Germans, Americans and Japanese."

It's, in my view, a fact that the Briish are rude and cold people. Don't just take my word for it. This survey speaks for itself. Now, what does this tell you? Especially taking into acount facts numbers 3 and 4? Do you think that the British are ONLY like this when they are abroad? So you see. it's not just ol silly wabbits crazy point of view. I am sorry to say, and any other English person can tell you it's not till they are blue in the race, but the English are rude, ingorant, and aggressive. Take into account this and the other 2 facts. What kind of picture are we painting here of a people?

What about the football hooligans that cause mayhem in other countries? What about all those idiots that go to Ibiza, get drunk, puke, **** and fight to exess? Do you think they, for some MAGIC reason, only act that way there? No, they are English. This is how we are. This is the mirror. They come home. They acually LIVE here! source

OK, now enough with the facts. A few more points of view from me.

Cusine OR lack of it
If I go to France. I can eat French food. There is a huge range of cheese, meat, pasties and dishes to try. If I go to Italy, same. If I travel to Spain, again, vast range of foods to try. Foods from different regions, there are cheeses, wines, meats and dishes.

OK, what is there in England. You come here and try English food. OK, let's see. Fish and chips. What else? Kebab, wait, that's Turkish and Greek. Umm Chinese? Indian? We don't EVEN have a cuisine. We have some crappy fish and chip shops. They arn't even restaurants!!!! Where as i Europe, you have cafes to sit, talk and drink coffee. In Europe you have nice restaurants. Britain is a wasteland. We have NOTHING. You can get a packet of chips if you want, but that's about it.

If you come from Spain, you can talk about paella or tortilla Espanol. If you are Hungarian you can talk about goulash. If you are an Italian you can talk about risotto and Spaghetti. If you are English, WHAT? What is English food? Double egg and chips? This is not a recipe!!!! It's 2 things on a plate. Sausage and mash? Again, this is NOT a recipe. Even fish and chips is not a recipe. Its two things taken and deep fried in oil!

OK, what are the deeper meanings behind this? It's ok to just talk about thease points, but what is it telling you? For me, it says: This is a country that has no time for finer things. No sophisication at all. It tells me that our social fabric is very well. In other countries China, Italy, India, Fance, Turkey, Spain and so on. Food is very important. You share food with your friends and your family. Here, you stuff a sandwich down your face or rest your ready meal on your lap as you zone out to TV.

True story: A friend of mine from Spain was in her kitchen cooking. No, I mean REALLY ACUTALLY cooking and not heating something frozen from the fridge in the oven. her brother came in with a look of total horror on his face. he said, "did you KNOW that in Britain that have spaghetti... IN A TIN????" He just could not belive they would do such a thing!!! She nodded, and replied, "yes, I know, they have many horrible things in a tin and frozen!"

Cafe Culture
Many countries in Europe and even in many other parts of the world have cafes where people meet. From turkey to Chine, from Italy to Spain to France. There are coffee and tea houses where people meet up and talk. What is there in England? NOTHING. You can hang around the streets if you want. But there is nowhere to go. This country is like Soviet Russia. All people do is work and go home. If they are not doing that, they are in the pub getting drunk.

Infintile culture
We have a really infintile culture. We are a land where rude words are still very amusing. We are a culture that finds drinking "clever" How many times do you hear it from English? Oh yeah... and we got drunk. At Christmas and New year, what do you hear OVER and OVER and OVER again. What are you doing this year? hahahaha, im going to get drunk. We have a culture of voilene, crime, drunkeness. I'm not sure what is the cause. Maybe its the victorians to blame again with the invention of the nanny state. Maybe because the state treats us like kids, we behave like kids. I really don't know.

Holidays We have none. It's that simple. Take other countries. They celebrate all kinds of things. We celebrate NOTHING. All we have is Christmas and New Years.

Another true story. Another Spanish friend. She was telling me about St George day in Spain. She said its a day where everybody gives a book or a rose to somebody. That's the tradition there. Nice isnt it? I explained that we also have st george days. She said, oh really??? What do you do to celebrate? I said nothing. We do nothing. In fact, we have no holidays apart from Christmas. Spain has many little holidays. So too, Italy, France and so on. We have nothing. We celebrate nothing. Even Americans have thanksgiving, halloween and other little holidays that vary from state to state.

In my own experience, the Brits I have run into around here are always polite and genuinely embarrassed at their own lack of experience, which is kind of cute.

The French, on the other hand, bah.

Ashlea said:
In my own experience, the Brits I have run into around here are always polite and genuinely embarrassed at their own lack of experience, which is kind of cute.

The French, on the other hand, bah.

The French a very polite, warm, friendly and passionate people. For some reason they get very upset when people don't make an effort to speak French to them. AKA: English and Americans :)

SillyWabbit said:
The French a very polite, warm, friendly and passionate people. For some reason they get very upset when people don't make an effort to speak French to them. AKA: English and Americans :)

I'm talking about tourists visiting in the states. I'm expected to talk French to them when they visit me? If I went around being an ass to them in their country, it's expected for them to be rude. But there is no excuse for treating the locals badly. Especially when I'm preparing your coffee, that's just asking for trouble. I wouldn't purposefully contaminate someone's beverage, but many of my former coworkers would.

True: The fact that I'm surrounded by boors does not mean that I cannot recognize polite behavior when I see it. And truthfully, the boors are quite the minority in my neck of the woods. Even most cowboys have a sort of unpolished gentility, their mothers beat it into them.

Oh Mr. Wabbit. Having fun with statistics are we? :)

I will respond to you as time permits.

And yes, I am sure a great deal of my love of London comes from having lived in LA. I never said London was the safest, most economical, most practical, etc., only that it is my favorite city. Surely you have loved something despite its flaws or, in fact, because of them?

Irene Wilde

Ashlea said:
Especially when I'm preparing your coffee, that's just asking for trouble. I wouldn't purposefully contaminate someone's beverage, but many of my former coworkers would.

Come on ....what is the worst thing you've done to someone's order Ash?! :)

it's been a while since I've worked in that industry, but the only thing I can remember is substituting decaf for regular when we were out.

Ashlea said:
it's been a while since I've worked in that industry, but the only thing I can remember is substituting decaf for regular when we were out.

Oh my, you vile woman, how can you sleep at night?! :eek:

Some of my friends who travelled to the US told me that people were very rude, and the police were cold-faced, and that they supposed everyone should talk in ENGLISH. A girl from Japan told about her recent travel to New York, which made me believe that I should be very very very strong and powerful if I try to explain or talk in order to make myself clear. :rolleyes:

And still some other friends told me they had pleasant time in the US.

I don't know. Yet, very curious about it. :rolleyes:

Love Poem for London

I love London, too. I really do. The following is a vignette from my long residence there:

Piccadilly Line

At Hounslow Central
They’re all mental
With their brollies and steely nerves

Queuing time for
The Piccadilly Line
Look out for the ass-pinching pervs.

The commuter horde
Squeezes aboard
Prodding and bleating and braying.

Finally sitting
They take out their knitting
Butter wouldn’t melt, is the saying.

Little old maids
And kiddies with braids
And fat guys who smell of stale beer

Hindi grannies
Tarts with big fannies
And the tossers who stand way too near.

It’s a mulligatawny
A salmagundi
Of patchouli and curry and fags

Oh, the smell of old socks!
Get the flu, get the pox!
Be a bird, be a cow, be a slag!

However, I have the feeling that some of the booklovers (who live in the US) on this bookforum are kind and polite, at least from the way they wrote the replies.

:)

watercrystal said:
However, I have the feeling that some of the booklovers (who live in the US) on this bookforum are kind and polite, at least from the way they wrote the replies.

:)

The Midwest is particularly pleasant actually. Even in Chicago you rarely meet someone who is not willing to be polite and help you. Not to mention the many smaller towns throughout Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin ...people will practically open their doors to you. I live and have grown up here...and although I want to leave, it is simply for exploratory reasons, my experience has revealed a very kindhearted, simple people.

novella said:
I love London, too. I really do. The following is a vignette from my long residence there:

Piccadilly Line

At Hounslow Central
They’re all mental
With their brollies and steely nerves

Queuing time for
The Piccadilly Line
Look out for the ass-pinching pervs.

The commuter horde
Squeezes aboard
Prodding and bleating and braying.

Finally sitting
They take out their knitting
Butter wouldn’t melt, is the saying.

Little old maids
And kiddies with braids
And fat guys who smell of stale beer

Hindi grannies
Tarts with big fannies
And the tossers who stand way too near.

It’s a mulligatawny
A salmagundi
Of patchouli and curry and fags

Oh, the smell of old socks!
Get the flu, get the pox!
Be a bird, be a cow, be a slag!

Hmmmm, not that many posts! Where is all the controversy? :D

I really don't know why everybody is so fixated on London. I'm talking about the U.K. London has nothing to do with this. I live there, that's it.

Though, if we are talking about London ( central ) Actually, I LOVE London!!! London is my favorite city in the world. It's huge, yet filled with flowers and vast green parks. The buildinds are all old and elegant. You can wander down a little cobble side street and find the most surpising little shop. Regent street and Hamleys! Covent garden with its street performers. There is a women there that sings the most divine opera!

Yes, My love for the city of London knows no bounds. I like to visit it as much as I can. I could write a post on all the wonders of London, it's parks, its buildings, its history, the thames, the shops, the musuems, the libraries and so on. WONDERFUL place. Much better than Paris or New York or any other place.

What I am talking about is the rest of the country. London has nothing whatever to do with this.

Irene Wilde said:
Oh Mr. Wabbit. Having fun with statistics are we? :)

I will respond to you as time permits.

And yes, I am sure a great deal of my love of London comes from having lived in LA. I never said London was the safest, most economical, most practical, etc., only that it is my favorite city. Surely you have loved something despite its flaws or, in fact, because of them?

Irene Wilde

Yes, I am having fun with the statistics :)
#
But, you can't ignore them, can you? you CAN ignore them if you please. They speak for loud and clear. They paint you a picture of what Egland REALLY is. You can get all misty eyes and only look at it's good parts ( and it has many ) but would you REALLY want to liv here? This is not a nice place, as the facts show. They are facts. Well, You can believe in Marry Poppins London. You can believe in the Harry Potter London. You can believe that old gents in bolwer hats nod as you pass... if you want. You can believe little stream trains chuff though open uncontaminated countryside... if you want. You can believe nice old bobbies patrol the safe streets where the only problem is old miss miggins cat got stuck in a tree... if you want. You can belive in cricket and cucumber sandwichs, tenis and strawberries and picknicks on the green... if you want.

But that England does not exist. Maybe it existed once, but now its a fiction.

Yes, there are things to love about here. I can list many of them. London is a GREAT place to visit. I am sure you have a wonderful time here, visiting all the little parks and interesting places. Yes, but would you REALLY want to live here??? You see, that's the thing. Living here, and visiting here with misty rosey eyes is a whole 'nother kettle of fish :)

Wabbit,
I know what you're referring to. Have spent many a "holiday" in sunny Lincolnshire, home of flat endless cauliflower fields, towns redolent with the smell of chip fat, and gray people in gray clothes peddling gray bicycles to M&S to buy some more gray stuff.

But everywhere has its troubles. I love English resilience and humor, the most brilliant satirists in the world!

Novella

Back