• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ever broken up with someone over books?

"You spend too much money on books!"
"But dearest, I picked them off the street!"
"Funny! What's this receipt then?"
"Oh! So that's where Ben's book receipts has gone! Blimey what the heck is it doing in my bag of books I found on the street, you'd wonder..." [mutter mutter]
"You shouldn't blah-blah-blah-blah...."
"Hang on, *this* I bought for you from the bookstore..."
"Ah, Dragon Lady: Life and Legend of the Last Empress of China, huh? Is it any good?"
"Jolly good!"
"Well! Um. Don't buy so many next time!" [sits quietly for many hours, book in hand]

ds

AngusBenton said:
Yes, but it is my singular addiction (outside of Scotch). Also, in the states (at least) there is a huge anti-intellectual current among otherwise smart people that I am keen to avoid.

Follow up question....does this make me an asshole? I know guys who've dumped women for far less...and much more superficial reasons. Of course, I consort with a fairly roguish bunch.

No, but it seems a shame and a loss for something that could have been. Well, was not there so cannot say. Only you can know :)

Wabbit said:
Ah, but grasshopper! I am a very wise bunny. Feel free to consult me :cool:

I won't charge you... much :D

yeah yeah keep your blabbeling to yourself... or the force of the Yoghurt will be with you!!! :p

I am in the same boat as Pigeon. He who was reading "Australia's Dirtiest Jokes" when I met him supports my reading and occasionally asks for advice when selecting the book it will take him a VERY long time to read. Books are about the only thing I can buy without giving he who loves money a cost budget analysis of why something should be bought.

My ex-boyfriends weren't readers and I didn't mind that. I have friends who read and am a member of a book group, so I can talk books with others.

I actually feel sorry for people who don't read. They're missing out on so much! I believe that there's a book/genre/author out there for everyone, but then again, I am a zealot!

A man once broke up with me because I had too many books....that wasn't the only reason, of course, but he was exasperated that he had to move piles of books every time he wanted to sit down. He also did not understand why I spent so much money on books, when I could be buying other things that were (to him) so much more interesting and useful.

Well, I don't miss him.

AngusBenton said:
I was dating this very nice young lady. Not enough left of center for me to begin with. However, she was very pretty, she attended at top-tier school (Princeton) and, most importantly, thought I was fantastic.

After several weeks she confessed to me (I have books pouring out of every corner of my apartment) that she didn't really enjoy reading novels.

I said, "You don't...read?"

She said, "Oh...but I like magazines!"

I hoped at bare minimum Atlantic Monthly, New Yorker...but alas no.

She read Time Magazine every week. And then...InStyle, Cosmo and People.

I dropped her like a bad habit in a matter of 2 weeks. I just lost all interest.

Sad story, eh?
Not everyone likes the same things you would and for that you will have to accept their personality, not just break up a friendhip/relationship with them just because they don't have a same intrest as you. Thats really silly! :p

My ex-girlfriend never liked to read, but she sure did like to sleep, which worked out perfectly. She'd sleep nestled up next to me while I splurged in the world of imagination and mystery. Unfortunately we broke up for reasons unknown (I was replaced by an unreading neanderthal). But thankfully I found better, unfortunately she was a non reader as well but also a non sleep lover. But like so many others here have suggested I handed her many of my favorites and let her read the backs of them and she actually started reading one on her own which became the first book she had ever read front to back on her own without it being for some stupid school report. So just because they aren't readers when you meet them doesn't mean that you can't introduce them to the whole world that awaites them.

I don't know if I would ever break up with someone because they didn't enjoy reading. My current boyfriend now hates to read, but he respects that I like to have my reading time and I have a book obsession. He even promised that if and when we get married I could have a room just for my books!!

tarablythe said:
I don't know if I would ever break up with someone because they didn't enjoy reading. My current boyfriend now hates to read, but he respects that I like to have my reading time and I have a book obsession. He even promised that if and when we get married I could have a room just for my books!!
That is so sweet of him! Aww :)

tarablythe said:

:) That's not a room...its Heaven! :D What you doing on here :eek: ....Quick get Married ;)

My boyfriend really isn't a reader. I tried to encourage him to read but he wouldn't have anything to do with it. I guess you can't change people so I let it go.

He's a really smart person, but I would like it if we could have some literary conversations. But, it's not like an extremely crucial part of the relationship so I wouldn't break up with him over it.

I think that when you fall in love with someone it is because of the person and not because of their dislikes. My husband and I have some similar interests and some where we just dont see I to eye. I like to read fiction and cant get enough. He prefers to only read what helps him to learn about a certain subject. He is a very smart man and learns things very quickly. When something interests him, such as computers, he reads everything he can on that subject and soaks it up like a sponge. I on the other hand get bored quickly with non-fiction and prefer to be immersed in a story that brings me to another place, time etc. I think that a connection between people goes beyond what they read or not read. Its a personality thing.

I've never had to, and if the marriage gods smile upon me never will, but I certainly understand why you would break up with someone over books. It's not just a normal hobby for most of the people in this forum, certainly not for myself - it's a devotion. If I spent as much money and time on some other devotion, like mountain biking, as I do on books - going every weekend to a new trail, visiting every shop in the city just to look at gear, and spending every possible dime I can sprucing up my bike, then I would probably dump any woman who failed to share my interest.

Books are a huge part of how I define myself, and I need to be with someone who understands that and shares my interest at least in some small part (she puts up with me spending hours going to second hand stores, and even reads my suggestions once in a while now). :)

AngusBenton said:
I was dating this very nice young lady. Not enough left of center for me to begin with. However, she was very pretty, she attended at top-tier school (Princeton) and, most importantly, thought I was fantastic.

After several weeks she confessed to me (I have books pouring out of every corner of my apartment) that she didn't really enjoy reading novels.

I said, "You don't...read?"

She said, "Oh...but I like magazines!"

I hoped at bare minimum Atlantic Monthly, New Yorker...but alas no.

She read Time Magazine every week. And then...InStyle, Cosmo and People.

I dropped her like a bad habit in a matter of 2 weeks. I just lost all interest.

Sad story, eh?
yes its a sad story. you should be ashamed of yourself in my opinion. It seems that you can only tolerate people with the same political beliefs and tastes as yourself rather than accepting people for who they are.

broken up

if you have spilt up with a person over 1 of you reading a book that is so sad and that person is so wrong for you,if my hubby didnt like me reading i think we would of split up long ago,cause reading is a big part of my life! :)

RobertFKennedy said:
yes its a sad story. you should be ashamed of yourself in my opinion. It seems that you can only tolerate people with the same political beliefs and tastes as yourself rather than accepting people for who they are.

Months later:

I accept people for who they are. I just can't love them and sleep with them. You dig?

Back